You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#99742 by Amaran
Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:50 am
The person who uploaded it should be beaten.

In the case of this album even Dev himself said that he wouldn't like it if people got the album over the net prior to it's release, so I'd feel offended if I was him.

I wonder why record companies keep sending out promos these days. I wouldn't do it anymore.

#99802 by Symbolic Hearse
Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:12 am
So far I'm really liking it but it's a really intimidating first listen. The album starts off really strong. Let It Roll through Babysong really draw you in. More thoughts as they come.

#99814 by fullgore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:47 am
Yup. Everything up to and including Vampiria is easy to get into.. The rest, for the most part, is really complex and hard to get into. Not sure how much I like it... yet.

Edit: Ohh I love the vocal melody in Notes From Africa

#99825 by Sune
Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:14 am
fullgore wrote:Yup. Everything up to and including Vampiria is easy to get into.. The rest, for the most part, is really complex and hard to get into. Not sure how much I like it... yet.

PM ;)

#99835 by Introvert
Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:56 am
fullgore wrote:Yup. Everything up to and including Vampiria is easy to get into.. The rest, for the most part, is really complex and hard to get into. Not sure how much I like it... yet.

also pmed ;)

#99838 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Amaran wrote:The person who uploaded it should be beaten.

In the case of this album even Dev himself said that he wouldn't like it if people got the album over the net prior to it's release, so I'd feel offended if I was him.

I wonder why record companies keep sending out promos these days. I wouldn't do it anymore.

You're right, you can't trust anyone anymore. I think bands that add overdubs that say something like "YOU'RE NOW LISTENTING TO SYNCHESTRA, THE NEW ALBUM BY THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, OUT JANUARY 2006!" is the best way to go right now. This floods the P2Ps and even after the release date you can get these versions. Or you can do like Machine Head did and flood the internet with badly mixed versions, some with the vocals way too high, some guitars, some drums. It's not going to be completely effective, but it's better than releasing the regular versions.

I'm pissed that I clicked this thread now, I'm at work until 12:30am! :(

#99844 by IanDork107
Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Oddly, I feel that the album starts pretty well, but ends amazingly. Gaia and Notes from Africa are definitely my favorites, but Triumph is also excellent. This is definitely a much better album than Accelerated Evolution. It's got a lot of the quirkiness of Infinity along with the majestic feel of Ocean Machine and Terria. The way that some of the melodies in several songs shift is rather jarring, but it's not really a big problem, just adds to the quirkiness of it. That said, I don't much like Vampira or the first two minutes of Babysong. Everything else is great, and a lot of the short interludes have some of the best moments on the album, particularly Mental Tan.

#99846 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:30 pm
This thread is TORTURE!!!

#99850 by Carpathian Psychonaut
Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:56 pm
Amaran wrote:The person who uploaded it should be beaten.

For a recent Depeche Mode single they had 11 track promo CD's for in-house use. It had all the commercial, radio AND club versions on it so was a pretty hot ticket.

Every copy was 'watermarked' in a different way through all the tracks - any copies got made or even MP3'd they could trace the exact copy from the 100..... and the recipient it was sent to.

Guess what - it didn't leak until maybe a day before release.

As you say, the person uploading the first copy is the weak link - this would stain them.

#99851 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:03 pm
Start sending out vinyl promos, or tape promos. That'll fix 'em.
#99852 by brimir
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:04 pm
Whoa....just gave the album my first spin!!!!

Well I know that I am by no means ready to give it my final judgement but I can say one thing......IT IS EPIC!!!!!!!

This album really has everything.....for me it has elements from Ocean Machine and Terria and even Infinity. My favorites after my first listen are: Babysong, Gaia and Judgement, but this will probably change quite often....

This is an album that is going to take quite a few spins to get used to..

#99855 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:09 pm
Tracy says you have to let it grow on you! I can't wait to hear it.

One thing for certain, when fans continuously are at odds with each other when talking about favorite tracks, that's usually a good indicator of a killer album!

#99860 by SirJuzzi
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:38 pm
I heard the promo. Again something different from Devin. Somehow it reminds me of SYL, though it's very different. I understand what Devin means when he says Synchestra is connected to Alien, it's much clearer than the connection between Ocean Machine and City. The album contains some truly amazing moments, though I think the entire thing will grow on me a lot when I get my own copy of it and play it with my own stereo.

#99862 by Atari
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:55 pm
I have to read more than I want to. Arsehole leakers.