You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#118101 by GDiddy
Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:24 pm
I find Synch. to be much more like a devin solo album than AE. I'm glad about this, as I am not a fan of AE at all. I am mostly a fan of his solo work. It still has a bit of the AE sound, but with much more of the creativity of albums like Terria.

What do you kids think?

#118116 by Biert
Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:01 am
Accelerated Evolution is as much of a solo album as all the others. It was completely written by Devin, just the name on the cover says "Band", because Dev formed a couple of people around him that would allow him to tour his solo material. The band was formed after all the music had been written as far as I know. Besides the name, I don't think it makes any difference.
And I like AE quite a lot actually :)

#118117 by Atari
Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:02 am
I like AE's relative simplicity.

#118137 by shiram
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 am
i prefer AE
its fairly more structured as an whole album as Synchestra
Synchestra is more eclectic, and that leads me to skip some songs from time to time

#118139 by Greg Reason
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am
IMO:

Synchestra is far better than AE, but cannot crack the Holy Trinity (Infinity, Terria, OM)

#118140 by Persuader
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 am
AE contains some really good stuff, but Synchestra is way deeper/complex and shines all the way through. I think the biggest difference is that AE have individual songs while Synchestra is like one big epic piece.

#118162 by GDiddy
Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:32 pm
My point is that the AE album is very different from the others and doesn't show what I consider DT's creativity as much as the others. I'm not really concerned about who's in the band or what it's called. But the first album under the name DTB showed more of a rock band type of style. That's what I was referring to.

Thanks, Greg and Persuador, I agree with you both.

#118170 by Drumdude13
Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:52 pm
GDiddy wrote:My point is that the AE album is very different from the others and doesn't show what I consider DT's creativity as much as the others. I'm not really concerned about who's in the band or what it's called. But the first album under the name DTB showed more of a rock band type of style. That's what I was referring to.

Your right, AE was more of a Rock album and is'nt as creative as Synchestra, Terria or Infinity. ! Devin purposely made AE to be a Rock album. That was his plan from the beginning. Plus he wanted to try out playing with a whole new band first. That's why he did AE first, it was kind of a test to see if the DTB would work.

In the end, the DTB worked extremely well in Dev's eyes and that's why Synchestra was much more progressive than AE and why the musicianship in each individual member came out some more. That is also why the song writing on Synchestra was alot more creative and progressive than AE. Expect future albums to grow and expand in the creative realm even more but that does'nt mean it will be more complicated or progressive, if you will. Just remember that being creative does'nt always mean being extremely progressive, having longer songs or crazy guitar solo's..... creativity, especially in Dev's mind, works in many ways.

The next album will be different from AE and Synchestra....you can bet on it. That's the way Devin works. Believe it or not, Dev was showing creativity in AE as well. He wanted to do an album where less was more in his own creative way and I think he achieved it !

I agree with your statement GDiddy, I just thought I'd lend some first hand info on the matter describing what Devin wanted to do creative-wise on the 2 DTB albums.

All the best,

RVP

#118171 by mo
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:33 pm
its all good

#118262 by Noodles
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:07 pm
i think that synchestra is a lot more fun to listen to if i skip baby song + vampolka/pira, otherwise it tends to drag on and i'm kind of bored by the time it climaxes

as for being on topic, there is a fairly big difference between AE and the rest of devin's albums, a lot more straightforward, although i still like it

#118278 by CardDinour
Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:31 am
i really enjoy AE. its a totally different album to Synchestra so i like it for different reasons.

#118303 by SirJuzzi
Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:58 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:Believe it or not, Dev was showing creativity in AE as well. He wanted to do an album where less was more in his own creative way and I think he achieved it !

RVP

It's not that hard to believe - IMO Accelerated Evolution is an album that, even when being more straight-forward and rock-styled than Dev's past works, sounds as fresh and interesting as his (and now his band's) other albums. It's very strongly song-oriented album, which is a matter I like. While Terria is awesome as it's almost like agressive stream of consciousness, AE shows how awesome the more simple songs can be. It's my second-favorite album, right after Terria. 8)

...And if that's correct what somebody quoted somewhere here or on SYL board, that Devin had said the next TDTB album would be the most poppy album by him, I'm already waiting that album. Cause if Life, Slow Me Down and Christeen define the direction how the songs will sound like, I'm afraid the big proggy albums (OM, T, S) will have difficulties keeping up with it & AE. :D

#118309 by Noodles
Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:03 pm
I've always found Terria strange in that "Earth Day" and the last 3 actual songs are all sort of song oriented, but "Deep Peace"--->"Down and Under" sort of flow together... Its like half song-oriented, half album oriented.

#118323 by Jasta
Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:03 am
I agree with the whole OM/Infinity/Terria "Holy Trinity" ... they're not interchangable, but I can pop any of them in my car and listen all the way through and enjoy myself.

Synchestra is ecclectic, experimental, and a a little cheeeesy (by design, it seems), so it doesn't stand as tall as the aformentioned three in their (mostly) seriousness. I can enjoy Synch, but I find myself choosing another DT album first.

Still, I find Physicist most often in my CD player. Fucking beautiful. Planet Rain has almost brought me to tears a couple times.

Ok wait that wasn't a very Heavy Metal thing to say. nevermind.

#118346 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:41 am
GDiddy wrote:I find Synch. to be much more like a devin solo album than AE. I'm glad about this, as I am not a fan of AE at all. I am mostly a fan of his solo work. It still has a bit of the AE sound, but with much more of the creativity of albums like Terria.

What do you kids think?

First off, I'm 33. How old are you, kid? :P

Secondly, many parts of AE remind me of my favourite Devin album, Biomech, so I really love the first "DTB" output. And although I prefer Devin's more epic songwriting, his lighter and catchier side on songs like Slow Me Down is totally fine with me - great performance on the Safe Zone DVD btw. I have very fond memories of AE, including the great "All In The Family Tour" in 2003. It's up there with Devin's best stuff IMO.