I'm gonna melt you guys!
#144785 by Mazaro
Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:12 pm
I've noticed a lot of similarity between the sort of airy, breezy, sweeping sounds found in the hummer and a lot of New Age ambient Yoga music. Devin also uses the word "Namaste" as a track title in Physicist. Anyone else hear that?

He seems like he'd be into that sort of thing.
#144805 by djskrimp
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:15 pm
Mazaro wrote: Devin also uses the word "Namaste" as a track title in Physicist. Anyone else hear that?

It's kinda hard to ignore the fact that he's saying "Namaste", since it's the name of the song he sings it so loud. As for whether or not he's into yoga...I have no idea. Considering his covering of the topic of balance and dynamics so much in music, I would say that it wouldn't be a surprise.

#144853 by danceswithchickens
Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:23 am
At one time Devin did practice yoga. Not sure if he still does.

My sister has been getting into yoga, and just the other day she told me that The Hummer was a great CD to practice to...what a coincidence...

#144863 by Biert
Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:12 am
Hmmm, Hummer and Yoghurt :)

#145105 by Zyprexa
Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 am
Mmm. Hummer and Yogi Bear.

Devin himself recommended Hummer be listened to in varying degrees of unity with nature. And you're a part of nature. And yoga is about becoming tranquil and relaxing your mind, or I suppose; being at one with your body.

Or you could just completely ignore my mindless babbling.

#145224 by Mazaro
Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 pm
"Anyone else hear that?" was referring to if anyone else noticed these similarities. It is indeed painfully obvious that he yells "Namaste".

Just clarifying.

#145226 by djskrimp
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:05 pm
Mazaro wrote:"Anyone else hear that?" was referring to if anyone else noticed these similarities. It is indeed painfully obvious that he yells "Namaste".

Just clarifying.

I knew what you meant, I was just trying...badly...to be funny.

#145541 by Kinski
Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:13 am
A good, albeit expensive, alternative to yoga is Alexander Technique. It's used mostly by actors in an effort to release tension from the body, and I can say from experience that it works wonders.

-Alec

#152416 by Death'o'Musak
Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 pm
I don't know about Yoga, but half way through the album (i think) I went to sleep, I think I would just collapse or something if I tryed to do yoga to this

#152441 by Hughie
Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:21 pm
You are talking about the asanas of hatha yoga.. Yogic asanas being bastardized into yuppie exercise is infuriating.
#152481 by myra
Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 am
Mazaro wrote:I've noticed a lot of similarity between the sort of airy, breezy, sweeping sounds found in the hummer and a lot of New Age ambient Yoga music. Devin also uses the word "Namaste" as a track title in Physicist. Anyone else hear that?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I have been practicing yoga for the past year and have noticed a lot of similarities between yoga and Devin's music. Of course with "Namaste" and other moments during Terria made me wonder if he did.

That would be cool if he was a fellow Yogi!

#152505 by Ike
Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 pm
years ago i read that he once practice out-of-body experiences. anybody know something about that?

telling from his musical and lyrical output, it's hard to dobt that he is a pretty spiritual guy. i believe he even said that in a recent interview. like, he's into spirituality, but doesn't have a concept of god and doesn't practice anything, but rather feels that there's something more and lives with it.

#156705 by Centurion
Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:21 pm
I suffer from anxiety and panic during the time i fall asleep or some kind of "night terror". This makes it hard to fall asleep at all sometimes. You kinda float away, start to dream even before true sleep starts and wake up terrified. I got The Hummer the other day and put it on the ipod so i could listen to it when I go to bed. And it worked out well. I was going to make some stuff on my own for this but now I might not have to after all :D

So tnx Dev.
#315860 by Savage Henry
Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:59 am
The little chime at the end of Cosmic Surf is similar to the bell used to signify the end of shivasana, the meditation part of a yoga class. I always saw the Hummer as a similar meditation, an accompaniment. I am sure Dev has looked into this stuff. As he has said, for a while he thought he was a hippy. Seriously though, yoga and the DTP are the two things that most helped me quit drugs. There is a connection.
#315879 by No OnE
Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:13 pm
I'm trying to imagine Devin in a pair of yoga pants....... :shock:

but who knows, he just unloaded a bunch of scarey pics onto twitter, i'm sure he'd gladly photoshop himself into a pair of them if we asked :lol: