I'm gonna melt you guys!

#60858 by fragility
Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:57 am
and there i was thinking dev's comment would be the end of the debate!

#60899 by Blazingmonga
Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:18 am
I was really hoping to get mine this morning....I was going to play it while my friends were asleep and see if they transform into demons or something. It sounds like it is mega trippy!

#60945 by Janne
Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Didn't get it today either... I really hope it will come tomorrow, or else this weekend will be unique: Imagine waiting eagerly for monday to come!!!

The Dev wrote:I release things on the site for people who seek it out only. Devlab won't be in stores. We made 500 and we may make 500 more. It's either that or it stays on a cdr in my car...

Well, it's always exciting to hear yet another side of... uh... you. There are few artists that dare to show so many sides of their persona through their music like you do.
We're still mainly metalheads here on the board, but I'm sure that will change with time, as your music can and will find it's way to - dammit - everyone on this planet! This might come with the cost of superstardom, as that demands conformity in creation, but on the other hand, superstardom was never quite the goal, was it?

Reach all, touch all, be all - but never as a god. That's what Devin Townsend represents to me at this moment. (Now, if I could only figure out what the hell I mean by that...)

#60987 by paladin7
Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:29 pm
"Devlab" is definitely an acquired taste, but I listened to it today and really liked it a lot. I think it is a beautiful, spacy mood piece.

#61019 by catharsis
Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:11 pm
shit, only 500 copies? i may have to get one sooner just for the hell of it

#61139 by Snaga
Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:53 am
psychedelia wooha...
Hmm, generally speaking, psychedelic metal... Who else really likes the sound of that? it would take some kind of genius of course

#61143 by flood_of_rain
Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:06 am
metal makes me itchy

#61153 by Mr_Chimp
Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:55 am
flood_of_rain wrote:metal makes me itchy

... but only in the fun way! :D

#61157 by simen_88
Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:13 am
Aaand ordered! Along with Punky Brüster.

#61167 by Mr_Chimp
Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:13 pm
Aha! Devlab is on its way with the bootleg cd..
Mbwahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

#61233 by psychotic
Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:11 am
After a three hour drive home from school I arrived home for the holidays and the one thing I wanted more than anything on my Christmas list was right there in front of me, Devlab! Well, I'm actually on my first listen right now, on track 8, but I'll give a report of how I feel so far anyway. So far, the beginning was pretty interesting, kinda reminded me of something I'd find on 'Colossus of Destiny' by the Melvins (for reference for fans), but slowly the album has become much more mellow, in fact, the last 10-15 minutes have seemed to be much more mellow, but the transition into that was very good, and as a whole I'm really digging it. It is going in and out of electronic beats right now, still pretty cool (still on track eight), but for now, as a big fan of ambient music, I'm really digging it. I'll go ahead and either do an edit to this or do a new one with my full review either when this is done or tomorrow.

EDIT 1: Okay, finished up listening to it once and am on my second time through. The first time through I got a really good idea about how it was though. This is one of the better background music albums I've ever heard, but it also serves great for music to listen to just to listen to music. I seriously enjoy it very greatly. The beginning, like I mentioned before is probably what could be considered the louder part of the album, with more different things going on that are more distinguished, then the album seems to fade into a much more chilled out feel. It wavers around a bit from there on, but basically seems to keep that same thing going (remember, I've only listened to it once, so if I've missed something, let me know). Given there are still "louder" (as I explained it to be before) parts in the second half, the general feel of it is much more laid back as far as the sounds go, but there's also the more up tempo stuff that's in there, which I almost forgot about. As a whole, this really is a great album. Props to Devy for putting out another great piece of music, and also for being able to write great music in so many genres. I'm going to listen to it tonight into the morning as I sleep, and I'll do one more edit after that.

EDIT 2: Slept to it last night and have listened through it many times now, and I really like this thing. It actually does get better with every listen, like others have said. It has elements of many different ambient albums that I've listened to in the past, and that only makes it better in my mind. Overall a great job done by Devy on this one.
Last edited by psychotic on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

#61259 by Jay
Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:49 am
If I had any sort of online money going, I would buy a copy.

I'd be interested in reviewing it too for the site I write for (http://www.themegalith.com), if someone would be nice enough to send me it.

-Jay
jay@themegalith.com

#61285 by ForceFed
Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:57 am
Well I got money, but since they arent taking orders until after Christmas, I won't be placing mine until then. Alas, seems like I won't wind up hearing it until January. :(

#61309 by Eth Eonel
Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:17 am
I've actually had the CD for a week already, but I haven't listened to it, as it lies in the bottom of my 'New CDs pile', and there are 10 other CDs to listen to before I reach it. But I'm pretty excited about it, as I love weird, ambient music. Might post my review sometime next year.

#61314 by hog
Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:43 am
Got it today. Brilliant, I love it!!!!