Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#254234 by ppinkham
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 am
cmbezln wrote:man, i am glad my mom was not one of those moms that take their kids to the doctor over every little thing, because reading that i'm noticing that; i have trouble focusing, i have very odd and sometimes limited sleep cycles, and i can fly off the hinge and things that peeve me......

seems like if i were to go to a doctor as a kid they would have thrown all sorts of meds at me and i would have never known that im just normal.

My family was actually pretty anti-doctor. It wasn't until I went 4 days straight without sleeping when I was 5 years-old that made them finally say "Hey, there might be something actually wrong here."

Most people have all of those symptoms you have mentioned at some point in there lives, and some more regularly than others. It is the severity that is the real problem. Getting pissed because something hits you the wrong way is fine. Going into a violent rage and then blacking out with no recollection of what the hell just happened is probably something that requires professional help. lol
#254251 by Negoba
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Ziltoid + more complexity + some Zappa + more heavy sounds like ultimate win to me.
#254266 by The Dev
Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 pm
The record took this bizzare turn into 'no fear' territory... It's a pretty free expression.

I'm too wrapped up in it to understand it yet, but it's the most overwhelming thing I think I've done to date. I don't want to sell it too hard, but it's broken through several levels that I didn't realize were available.

I feel like I'm flying at some points. Bizzare bizzare stuff. It may not be what I'm feeling right now though...chances are it's just being overtired.

Oh well, pvr'd some House Hunters International. Gonna go watch um.
#254275 by Das Schuetzenfest
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 am
ppinkham wrote:
berserkur wrote:P.S. I'm working at a mental hospital, one young bipolar person there uses music to calm her down.

Music heals all.

Thank you for music and thank you for your music, Devin. We are one:

[youtube]nZJ1Tgf4JL8[/youtube]
#254277 by Negoba
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:26 am
The Dev wrote:The record took this bizzare turn into 'no fear' territory... It's a pretty free expression.

I'm too wrapped up in it to understand it yet, but it's the most overwhelming thing I think I've done to date. I don't want to sell it too hard, but it's broken through several levels that I didn't realize were available.

I feel like I'm flying at some points. Bizzare bizzare stuff. It may not be what I'm feeling right now though...chances are it's just being overtired.

Oh well, pvr'd some House Hunters International. Gonna go watch um.

After the very focused Addicted, I think you deserve and we are looking for something where you hold absolutely nothing back. All I can say is Go For It, we'll be there with you as fans.
#254280 by ppinkham
Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 am
Seems to me that this is what became of the DTP:

Devin made 'Ki' and 'Addicted' because he could. 'Ghost' was created because Dev needed and wanted it. "Deconstruction" is happening because Devin doesn't have a choice. It goes beyond want and need.

That's the impression I get from his postings/tweetings, etc.
#254300 by mrbean667
Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:24 pm
ppinkham wrote:Devin made 'Ki' and 'Addicted' because he could. 'Ghost' was created because Dev needed and wanted it. "Deconstruction" is happening because Devin doesn't have a choice. It goes beyond want and need.

Yes! That is so true!
#254306 by adenosintrifosfat
Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:12 pm
The Dev wrote:...and as a footnote, as I know there are people sometimes who pay attention to 'artists' (even me) about their habits etc, I want to be clear:

Although I am not taking psychiatric medications, it has been under supervision of a psychiatrist and my family, and would not work for me if I continued to do drugs or drink AT ALL.

Also, my diet is controlled (vegetarian, limited sugar) and my caffeine intake is limited as well.

...not to sound like a prude or anything, but I've had people contact me about their psychiatric issues (ie: I won't take the meds, and now the marijuana is giving me the keys to the universe man...and I'm freaking out' etc etc...

I'll say again:

If you are predisposed to mental illness yet continue to do things to your mind that are causing you confusion, you are imposing your selfishness and arrogance on everyone around you.

A nice dude came to one of the instores I did recently and he said 'I'm bipolar and I struggle everyday, is there advice you could give me?' and I asked 'well, do you smoke pot?' and he said 'yes, of course'...

I am not qualified to give professional advice, but I do have my own experience to draw on... my answer would be, of course...

STOP doing the drugs then man!!! wtf?

On the flip side of the coin, my brother in law, and 3 members of my band drink and smoke and it doesn't flip them out, so it seems to come down to physiology

Anyways, just wanted to be clear that my abstaining from psychiatric medication is hinged on my other habits and disciplines. I'm not making a statement about the validity of either drug, I'm just wanting to make a clear artistic statement amidst being a dad and getting shit done. IF you are interested in changing medications or anything involving your mental health and your immediate family (who are involved, like it or not) consult your doctor.

Dev

You're so damn right on this one. As someone who's married to a person who's IS predisposed to mental illness like bipolarity, schizofrenia, who's been institutionalized, doused in medications, who's been neck-deep in medications that have done nothing but cause trouble, I totally see what you're getting at. As someone who has been convinced that weed is "the answer" for 6-7 years, I see eye to eye with you. Of course it's up to the individual to decide, but after going cold turkey on everything, studying Physiology and pathology, I'm seeing how the way defined "drugs", and even substances you mention such as caffeine and sugar influence the brain, and it's almost scary. Having a clear mind and going out into the world, and seeing it for what it is, is way more demanding, way more frightening than coating it in substances, and I commend you Dev, for taking that step. I'm with you all the way, I can totally see what you're referring to.
As for the album, judging from the bed tracks clip, and a couple of demo-type tracks on youtube, I'm totally stoked. I'm literally checking for news every day, eagerly awaiting updates. It'll be done when it's done, but waiting for the day can't be wrong.
#254307 by adenosintrifosfat
Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:32 pm
ppinkham wrote:Seems to me that this is what became of the DTP:

Devin made 'Ki' and 'Addicted' because he could. 'Ghost' was created because Dev needed and wanted it. "Deconstruction" is happening because Devin doesn't have a choice. It goes beyond want and need.

That's the impression I get from his postings/tweetings, etc.

I'm in disagreeance with you on this one. I don't know if that's an actual word, but if not, I'll make it one. Don't get confused by Dev's comments about how it almost seems like a monster with its own mind. It's just a creative flow, letting an album take shape, perhaps without premeditation. That doesn't make it "out of control," I interpret it as a beast the Dev can now control, whereas he might not have been able to in the past. Listening to the small snippets available, I do get that impression. The way I see it, this album will be a monster, chained, but not whimpering in a corner. It'll be a monster trained to go for the throat. I'm counting the days.
#254313 by ppinkham
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:04 am
I never said anything was out of control. My statement was in reference to Decon becoming a different entity than what Devin had thought it would be, and how it happened without his awareness. His creative energy pushed him in a way that he had not expected, or originally intended, according to his most recent musings about the project. Whatever part of the brain is controlling that creativity has moved things even beyond Dev's comprehension.

@dvntownsend wrote:What the heck did this album become?? ... I don't even know anymore. It's a new feeling I think. I'm quite proud of it actually :) bizzare.

I asked him if Decon still fit within the DTP, and he admitted he wasn't even sure anymore.

Your brain is in control, always. It always knows exactly what it is doing. It's our consciousness that sometimes cannot follow along or keep up. It seems to me that with Decon, Dev consciously went "Ok, this what I am going to do!," and his brain went "Yeah, we'll do that. But we're going to do it my way." So Dev starts doing what he set out to do, but when he finishes and steps back, he's going "Whoa, what the hell was that?"
#254369 by Medisinyl
Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 am
The Dev wrote:Man, the last 6 months... I have produced more material than ever ever before...

Deconstruction has been a very challenging record! We are seeing eye to eye though...

How do I feel about it?

...no idea... no time to process it yet.

Sometimes I think it's overwhelmingly brilliant beyond compare and then at other times it's a big confusing, pointless shit blob.

we'll see!

My first Dev related album was City, Grabbed it off the shelves of a (now) long dead FYE about 6 years ago. Put the CD in my car stereo, got through a few tracks and felt quite disappointed. I had seen such good reviews for quite some time before deciding to finally give SYL a shot, but again, was initially left feeling robbed. Despite being a fan of metal, Dev's take on it was perhaps a bit too fresh and foreign (complex?) for my first play-through. Giving it a fair chance, sure enough, what once seemed to be a steaming pile of schnauzer djent quickly became a favorite album.

In my listening experience at the consumer level, I've found that my most favorite songs and albums generally take time to sink in, while instantly gratifying songs often tend to grow dull (the whole Addicted album would be an exception :wink: ). Thus (substantiating a previous statement), Dev suggesting he's recorded a confusing shit-blob may very well be what's necessary to confirm the album is overwhelmingly brilliant 8).
#254383 by Octillus
Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 am
Medisinyl wrote:
The Dev wrote:Man, the last 6 months... I have produced more material than ever ever before...

Deconstruction has been a very challenging record! We are seeing eye to eye though...

How do I feel about it?

...no idea... no time to process it yet.

Sometimes I think it's overwhelmingly brilliant beyond compare and then at other times it's a big confusing, pointless shit blob.

we'll see!

In my listening experience at the consumer level, I've found that my most favorite songs and albums generally take time to sink in, while instantly gratifying songs often tend to grow dull (the whole Addicted album would be an exception :wink: ).

That's because Addicted is insidiously deeper than it seems at first. A whole year later I'm finding new stuff around every corner.
#254393 by Tonya Elf
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm
ppinkham wrote:
Octillus wrote:That's because Addicted is insidiously deeper than it seems at first. A whole year later I'm finding new stuff around every corner.

'Addicted' is a masterpiece, on so many levels.

The first time I heard Addicted I was surprised - it was so, well, poppy sounding. But I like to sing and it is also a very, well, singable album. Then the more I listened to it I couldn't believe how deep it actually is. Addicted is one of the most comprehensive, well put-together albums ever.
#254408 by mrbean667
Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:27 pm
Yeah, I need to listen to Addicted again. Never really got into it, mainly due to the production. Still, it will pass the time before Decon and Ghost.