Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#272945 by sylkicks
Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm
Perused a few other topics to see if this had been discussed yet, but it appears from what I've seen that it hasn't, so figured I'd start one. After about a billion times listening to Decon now, I find myself growing ever more curious as to who the "saving the world" character is in The Mighty Masturbator. He really seems to me to be someone apart from Devin himself, while perhaps reflecting some of Devin in the character. So as I assumed he is actually a character, as there are many characters including Ziltoid in TMM, I began thinking what if it's Captain Spectacular? I mean this would make sense as he's trying to save the world, he appears alongside Ziltoid in the song, and the chanting of Give it up... Your world in the song, just as Captain Spectacular had to in the Ziltoid album. Anyone else come to his conclusion? Or anyone else have any theories on who his character is or if he's even a character at all? Just curious for others opinions :)
#272951 by Lettuce
Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:17 pm
I think it's just an exaggerated version of Dev, like how so many musicians think they can save the world with their tunes (U2, anyone?). Like "YEAH THIS SONG'S ABOUT THE FUCKING POLITICIANS WITH THEIR EXPENSES SCANDALS AND SHIT! But instead of doing anything about it I'm just gonna like, sit here and play guitar and bitch about it..."

...I could be wrong though.
#272970 by _oppuld
Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:09 pm
For some reason I imagined that cartoon character with the huge red mustache strapping on his boots (I just looked it up, Yosemite Sam).

I agree with Lettuce's assessment of that lyric.

#272973 by sylkicks
Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:36 pm
Lettuce wrote:I think it's just an exaggerated version of Dev, like how so many musicians think they can save the world with their tunes (U2, anyone?). Like "YEAH THIS SONG'S ABOUT THE FUCKING POLITICIANS WITH THEIR EXPENSES SCANDALS AND SHIT! But instead of doing anything about it I'm just gonna like, sit here and play guitar and bitch about it..."

...I could be wrong though.

I like that interpretation too. Especially on the U2 subject, haha.
#274016 by mrbean667
Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 am
I think it's a reference to how the young, Strapping-era Dev was feeling. "In a factory for 25 years" could refer to his commercial pressure, but I could be horribly wrong.
#274020 by ctfod
Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 am
I thought the factory was a reference to the recording studio Dev's used for (I think) all the DTP albums? I dunno, maybe it's looking into it a bit too much.
#274145 by Lettuce
Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 am
Oh totally. The one question I have about TMM is the nature of the Special Savin' the World Boots. Are they like DMs? Wellies? Waders? Or perhaps using the British dialect; not shoes at all, but rather the trunk of a car. Gotta know the specifics, fam.
#274157 by Lettuce
Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:57 am
See, I thought it might be waders. I saw a pair in Lidl a few months back for 15 quid but I didn't have my wallet on me, but I WAS with my mum. I asked her to get them for me if I paid her back and she told me to fuck off. Damn.
#274161 by ctfod
Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm
A quick Google Image search tells me that these are, in fact, saving the world boots.

"Get ready to save the world in these Irregular Choice 'Peanuts' boots."

Although I do like the idea of a pair of Doc Martens.