Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#272188 by Negoba
Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 am
Ever since hearing all the poopy stuff on the song "Deconstruction," it occurred to me that this song (and somewhat this album) is Shitstorm part 2. The central line "You want crazy, I'll show you crazy." And that song and that album did show one aspect of "crazy" whatever that is.

But on this album, we get a better representation of what it's really like. Reaching for the Omniverse, then suddenly feeling like it's all BS, moving in a thousand directions at once, some grand, some the most base of all human functions, some complex. etc. And the song "Deconstruction" is in many ways the climax of it. I love it, it is crazy in a way that connects with me more than anything on Alien and I dig that album.

As much as Devy has said "This is not Strapping," the connection between this album and Strapping is obvious and natural. Yes, the rage is gone. But the wildness of the just letting the muse go and take it as far as possible is a part of what made Strapping appeal to folks.

And as much as I dig chilling to Ghost, what I love most about Devy's music is when he's pushing the boundaries into new territory. So thanks for Decon, I got what I wanted.
#272193 by Lolliklauer
Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:43 am
"Shitstorm" is one of my favourite songs ever, i feel very much connected to it and have an intense cathartic feeling when i listen to it when i'm in a "black minute" by myself. The catharsis comes because the songs lets out the feelings in a quite pure form, i think. I wish i could express my feelings that way, but i can't, so sometimes it helps to listen to it.

"Deconstruction" seems more like an "Anti-Shitstorm" to me, like it's the reflection and the "therapy" for the Shitstorm-feelings. As much as i feel that it's message is indeed very rational and helpful, for me it doesn't work that way. It's not the way i "use" heavy music. It's great that it connects to other people, though.
#272195 by Ultimetalhead
Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:56 am
I remember Dev saying there was a song on Decon that was similar to Shitstorm in sound but different in its intention (or something to that effect). I assume it's either Pandemic or Poltergeist he was talking about.
#272236 by Negoba
Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 am
For me, having dealt with some of the mental issues as many here have, Shitstorm does get at the intensity of feeling that's like a waterfall threatening to blow you away, and at the same time staring right into it and saying "Give it to me." (Not surprising it's one of Dev's recurring phrases.) It's capturing the emotional component of "crazy."

But Deconstruction both album and song specifically are about the internal babble that's like watching 10 channels at once. I've only had that experience once in awhile and it's a little exhilirating but it mostly sucks. Somewhere just below that level overstimulation is the land of creativity. I struggle to get myself there and occasionally do. I envy guys like Dev who live there, but I'm sure it takes its toll.
#274043 by Noisy_Pink_Bubble106
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:37 am
This was actually something I thought about the other day.

The "I AM NOT AFRAID OF FEAR" verse seemed to match the "AND SELF CONTROL IS SOMETHING I'VE LEARNED" rant in shitstorm for me, taking it a step further in a way with "JUST GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM"
#274106 by mrbean667
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm
Yeah, it's without doubt a new Shitstorm from a different perspective. Almost equals the craziness of the SYL song.
#274265 by stevefrench
Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:38 am
Shitstorm really transcends time and space...whether you're having a bad day or just wanting to listen to one of the most intense songs ever recorded, when you hear it you suddenly feel somehow connected to a little skulletted man screaming his heart out in a recording booth many years ago. Will always love that song...would be nice to hear at my wedding, just for the fuck of it.
#274627 by swervedriver
Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 am
The Lodge wrote:Tried mowing the lawn listening to Alien. Damn, I was angry.

I CONTROL AN AWKWARD LAWN
AND MY LINES
ARE AUTOMATIC, AUTOMATICALLY MOWED