Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!

What are your favourite songs (3) from Deconstruction?

3%
3%
5%
5%
5%
5%
8%
8%
5%
5%
9%
9%
2%
2%
6%
6%
5%
5%
#276871 by No OnE
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:58 am
This one's hard...My favorite songs are constantly changing, in fact I'm pretty sure all of them have been my favorite songs at some point :D
#277050 by WarmSilence
Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:07 pm
Juular, being the 3rd track, was the first song that really caught my attention. The Mighty Masturbator, especially the reprisal of Processional at the end, was just brilliant. And Poltergeist is maybe the best closing track on a DT album to date. So yeah, those are my three. This album really doesn't have a bad track on it though (although Planet Of The Apes kinda lost me for about 2 minutes, give or take.)
#277170 by bonekrap44
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 pm
I don't know what it is about Pandemic and Poltergeist but to me they just don't fit the album. I love these songs so don't get me wrong. I just can't listen to them all in order i got to listen to them all then come back to Pandemic and Poltergeist.
but SUMERIA is king!
#280209 by fullgore
Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 am
Praise the Lowered, Pandemic, Deconstruction
HM: Stand, Juular, Poltergeist

I haven't been able to get into TMM or POTA... The two hevydevyforum favorites on the album it would appear

Edit: I've now come to like TMM very much - especially from the "give it up - your world" part on. POTA has good parts. But not enough of them to justify it's track length.
Last edited by fullgore on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
#282408 by haze
Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 am
Voted for Juular, Planet of the Apes and Sumeria. Next ones would've been Stand and The Mighty Masturbator. Difficult choices indeed.

Juular was the first song I heard from the album and I instantly fell in love with it. Definitely the "easiest" song on Deconstruction, yet still one of the best. The only problem is that it's so short :P Of course it works perfectly as such, but I just might prefer the longer songs. Because you can listen to them for, like, 20 times and still notice something new every time. It's one of my favourite things about the album in general. At first it sounded like a total chaos (still does at times), but now it's just mind-blowing. Especially Planet of the Apes, I absolutely love the "One is all connected, tungsten body glowing mind" part. As well as Sumeria's "Shower the world where it's trying to be..." The highlights of the album for me, those two. Maybe. Still haven't listened to it enough and probably never will...

Stand was almost boring at first but it has definitely grown on me. TMM is great because there's pretty much EVERYTHING in it and it still works. About the other songs then - Praise the Lowered is a good starter, but I think there are better songs on the album. Pandemic & Poltergeist are nice as well but I don't know... maybe it's what bonekrap44 said, they don't fit in somehow. Love the soprano on Pandemic, though (Floor Jansen? FTW!) ...and finally, the title track... there are some very good parts, but meh. Needs more listening I guess. The humor, however, doesn't bother me, in fact I find myself laughing at the beginning of the song almost every time. (Don't know if I'm retarded or what... :D)
#285378 by CyclopZ
Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:31 am
Stand. I love its lyrics so much, chorus riff and this monumental atmosphere... when I listen to it I imagine statues of Devin and Ziltoid cracking the Earth from inside and going up to surface... and after "SHOW YOURSELF!" I see Devin screaming through clouds in the sky... crazy tune)))
Planet of the apes + Sumeria. Strong lyrics again and catchy melodic parts
Poltergeist. DAMN!!! I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH!!! at the end of the album Devin stays (STANDS?) alone (I mean no guests and not much orchestra/choral stuff) with his demons... and this tune reminds me SYL more than some SYL songs =) Devin didn't scream in such way since Alien...sum kinda nostalgia warms my heart everytime I listen to it
and of course I should say I love the whole album... every Dev's album means a lot to me.
#285421 by Manwards
Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 pm
"Planet of the Apes". There are so many facets to that song: the humour ("Wank"/"I've got a little boner"); the choir's recurring parts ("tungsten body, glowing mind"); Tommy Rogers' guest appearance (I'm a BTBAM fan, saw them live in Leeds just a few weeks ago). And it's so honest, too. "All I've ever wanted is to be true, for my wife and my kid." While it isn't as loud and flashy as later songs on the album, it exemplifies the album's concept really well.

"The Mighty Masturbator". While I understand it's supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of excess, I still love it unironically. How could I NOT love a song that goes from wistful acoustic guitar to '50's rock 'n' roll to what sounds like hardcore 2 Unlimited, and finally ends up as a circus waltz? And yet it all somehow fits together, each section building from the last. Greg Puciato absolutely murders the vocals at the end (in a good way), and then there's the recurring line from "Numbered!", the appearance of Ziltoid... if that's the sound of Devy jizzing all over us, you're damn right I'm opening my mouth for it. (Disclaimer: That was a metaphor...)

"Deconstruction", because I can see it all so clearly. If I had any kind of drawing skills, I'd do my own video for it. Devy goes to Hell, which is actually inside of a cow, and at the end (when he rejects the cheeseburger and therefore the meaning of life) he gets crapped out, but instead of going down he goes up, soaring into the air, higher and higher, and as he clears the Earth's orbit all the crap burns off and he's sailing through space, naked and free, and finally he gets hit by a meteor shower when those final drums come in. The song is insane and offensive, on purpose, and I love it. And his vocal range is incredible - on a hungover morning, I've been known to shed a single, whisky-scented tear to those high notes.