Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#272514 by Jaglavak
Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:07 am
day old male wrote:Does anyone know if Ho Krll is the only additional track from the Decon recordings? Or will there be others surfacing down the track like the rest of the Ghost material?

Supposedly, there's four altogether; Ho Krll, Mad At My Dad (this grindcore-ish sounding track from the sickdrummer.com video), Brownman (the track that Ziltoid 'wrote' about poop and boobs) and another... can't think of it, off the top of my head. They're all supposed to be included with the box set, though.
#272537 by LeperMessiah1170
Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:58 am
Jaglavak wrote:
day old male wrote:Does anyone know if Ho Krll is the only additional track from the Decon recordings? Or will there be others surfacing down the track like the rest of the Ghost material?

Supposedly, there's four altogether; Ho Krll, Mad At My Dad (this grindcore-ish sounding track from the sickdrummer.com video), Brownman (the track that Ziltoid 'wrote' about poop and boobs) and another... can't think of it, off the top of my head. They're all supposed to be included with the box set, though.

Trae Storz.
#272549 by day old male
Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 am
Ah, ok. Thanks for the replies, guys. The reason I asked is because I'm thinking of holding off on listening to the Ghost bonus tracks until I can get a hold of the actual Ghost 2 album (that way, I basically get 9 new songs instead of about 4!) and I thought if there was only one extra Decon track, I could probably justify listening to it now. But if there's going to be 3 or 4, maybe I'll wait and see what the box-set has in store for us.

Cheers!
#273130 by barackobaka
Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 am
maxoulou wrote:Deconstruction is a MASTERPIECE but Ghost is even better in term of emotion . Thank's Devin.

The way I see it, Decon is mentally stimulating and Ghost is emotionally stimulating.
Thats not to say Decon doesn't have its emotional moments!
#273184 by static2
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am
in addition to "Mad at My Dad" and "Brownman," other titles were "Illuminati," "Morbid," "Turning Black" and "The Universe."

some of these may have been used to refer to parts of other songs; for instance, we have decent proof that "The Mighty Masturbator" includes subsections "Save the World," "Traestorz," and "The Punisher," so the first part of the song may have had one of those other titles above. (none of them seem to fit, though.)

the only multi-part song that seems to be exempt from this is "Planet of the Apes," which was just referred to by its numbers (i.e. "Planet of the Apes" I, II, and III).
#273188 by Negoba
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am
I have realized after listening to Decon ALOT that everything I ever want when I listen to SYL I can get better from Decon. What's more, I can listen to Decon on repeat and enjoy every minute. I usually can't finish a SYL record, it's just too much hate.

Thanks Dev. Incredible work.
#273194 by day old male
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 am
static2 wrote:in addition to "Mad at My Dad" and "Brownman," other titles were "Illuminati," "Morbid," "Turning Black" and "The Universe."

some of these may have been used to refer to parts of other songs; for instance, we have decent proof that "The Mighty Masturbator" includes subsections "Save the World," "Traestorz," and "The Punisher," so the first part of the song may have had one of those other titles above. (none of them seem to fit, though.)

the only multi-part song that seems to be exempt from this is "Planet of the Apes," which was just referred to by its numbers (i.e. "Planet of the Apes" I, II, and III).

Awesome. Thanks for that. I've decided not to download 'Ho Krll' from iTunes; instead I'll wait and see what he does with all those extras later in the year. Can't wait :)

Negoba wrote:I have realized after listening to Decon ALOT that everything I ever want when I listen to SYL I can get better from Decon. What's more, I can listen to Decon on repeat and enjoy every minute. I usually can't finish a SYL record, it's just too much hate.

Thanks Dev. Incredible work.

It's funny you say that. When things start getting heavy in 'Stand' at 2.45-3.24 ("I've come face to face with myself, man..."), I reckon that this section alone is the first and only time Dev has truly sounded like the Dev who recorded 'City'. It's a big call, I know, but it's my sincere opinion. I have loved everything Dev has ever done (some things more than others, of course), but this moment gives me chills because it reminds me of the sound that first brought him to my attention, which was 'City'.

What Decon has over most of his heavy shit from the past is that it is just so damn interesting, internally diverse and cool. There's the right balance of contrast and experimentalism to keep things really gripping from start to finish, unlike some of his other works that have been more one-dimensional (the self-titled SYL album, for example). The amazing thing about Decon, too, is that my brain has completely adjusted to its madness now, and I'm enjoying it as comfortably as any of his other works. I really thought the insanity of Decon might have taken a lot more getting-used-to, but it's been surprisingly easy :)
#273253 by bassbait
Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 pm
static2 wrote:in addition to "Mad at My Dad" and "Brownman," other titles were "Illuminati," "Morbid," "Turning Black" and "The Universe."

"Save the World" fits the first portion of The Mighty Masturbator fine, as the lyrics repeat "Save the world, you fool, you child" and similar lyrics to that.
#273254 by bassbait
Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm
day old male wrote:
It's funny you say that. When things start getting heavy in 'Stand' at 2.45-3.24 ("I've come face to face with myself, man..."), I reckon that this section alone is the first and only time Dev has truly sounded like the Dev who recorded 'City'. It's a big call, I know, but it's my sincere opinion. I have loved everything Dev has ever done (some things more than others, of course), but this moment gives me chills because it reminds me of the sound that first brought him to my attention, which was 'City'.

What Decon has over most of his heavy shit from the past is that it is just so damn interesting, internally diverse and cool. There's the right balance of contrast and experimentalism to keep things really gripping from start to finish, unlike some of his other works that have been more one-dimensional (the self-titled SYL album, for example). The amazing thing about Decon, too, is that my brain has completely adjusted to its madness now, and I'm enjoying it as comfortably as any of his other works. I really thought the insanity of Decon might have taken a lot more getting-used-to, but it's been surprisingly easy :)

It's funny you say THAT, because I've felt that Alien was the most sincere album of his to date, despite contrary opinions from Devin. "Alien" feels the least one dimensional of his works, with Deconstruction as second place. The only reason I put Alien ahead is because Deconstruction feels like it's TRYING to be crazy, whereas I felt Alien had a natural craziness not present on any album I've ever heard. Deconstruction is a masterpiece on impact, as Alien was, but I think Alien was the album where everything clicked. Deconstruction feels like the afterthought of Strapping Young Lad, the album that makes you look back on what SYL was, and that's where it's effectiveness lies for me. It's crazy, it's heavy, it's incredible, and it makes me realize all of the things that made albums like Alien so great. I just revere Alien as a masterpiece that often gets misunderstood. I really appreciated the wall of sound production, the very well flowing music, with concepts that occur on a song to song basis, such as repeating verses as reprises to the songs, the drum beats being variations of the same theme, the continuation of certain sound effects throughout songs such as "Skeksis" (the screech effect at the beginning of the song plays at the end as well), and a progressive style that is so subtle it's almost non-existent (for example, it DOES follow simple structure, but doesn't follow traditional structure.)

Deconstruction feels like Devin right now mashed with Devin from "Cooked on Phonics" and "Ziltoid", which is also a very awesome thing. I love both.
#273301 by ferocitas
Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 am
I guess Deconstruction has been pretty much deconstructed already by the 100+ pages here. Anyways, first impressions (or rather first memory imprints):

Deconstruction is too hard to grasp first listen, so I only remember strange similarities with Danny Elfman on every Tim Burton movie ever.
Ghost is very easy, flowing past like a cloud. At parts like Angelo Badalamenti in Twin Peaks. And the flute and general feeling has a lot of Deuter in there as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuter). Can't remember if Dev had listened to Deuter or not, though.

Will be interesting to read this post in a month so this is very much just notes for myself. Thanks, bye.