Face your chaos, know who you are!
#215054 by Jack8the8Ripper
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 am
For years, since before I knew about Devin, I've been waiting for someone to do a metal veriosn of rite of spring...maybe he's the one to do it someday. that would make my decade.
#215065 by tboatbprod
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:42 am
Rachmoninoff was a mad genius back in his day. To really get into it, I'd start with Piano Concerto #2. By far my favorite piece of classical work. I don't know what the thing is with Stravinsky. I guess people hear similarities because of the use of "golden" chords and... well I really don't know.
I had went to the Conservatory of Music in Cincinatti right after High School 15 years ago or so, and they (the professors)kept harping about Stravinsky, and how I should get into him for composing. Since then whenever people have talked about my comp style, they always compare it to stravinsky, which is just annoying as piss as truth be told, I've never conciously listened to him.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that at least in my experience Stravinsky is really over credited.
Now the film score guys that were listed are the same that I enjoy, but Thomas Newman's American Beauty score really needs mentioned. Great great piece of music. The Gladiator score when they are fighting the germanic tribe early on in the movie is killer too. The idea of a brutal waltz is one of those ideas that just works. Anyways, that's my 2 cents...
#215218 by daneulephus
Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:43 am
Jack8the8Ripper wrote:For years, since before I knew about Devin, I've been waiting for someone to do a metal veriosn of rite of spring...maybe he's the one to do it someday. that would make my decade.

Amen to that my brutha!!!! I hope to someday try this. Maybe when I graduate with my masters in music composition....years from now. :lol:
#221000 by ELPsteel
Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm
Not sure if metal Rite of Spring has been done yet, but an insane and awesome hip-hop turntablism version was made by a turntablist named D-stiles. Check it out! The song is called "Clifford's Mustache." But that might be asking a bit much of the metalheads here :p He's like a spinning virtuoso though, so you're really missing out on some great music if you write if off just because it's hip hop.

Also, Bartok, Stravinsky, and Rachmaninoff are NOTHING alike. For that matter, Bartok was not Russian. Just wanted to clear that up.
#222128 by daneulephus
Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 am
ELPsteel wrote:
Also, Bartok, Stravinsky, and Rachmaninoff are NOTHING alike.

So I have recently found out. I am in a music literature class...and have been learning tons of great stuff. :)
#228372 by daneulephus
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:46 pm
I didn't know where else to put this, but I just had a question thought...

Devin, if you happen to glance here... are you into Mahler at all? I am discovering his 8th symphony for the first time, and some of the big choral parts (esp. the end) have the vastness you seemed to be trying to convey in Truth. They called the 8th "The symphony of 1000", because it was scored for 1060 some odd performers, and only once was it ever performed with that many people.

Just a thought. 8)
#247905 by tboatbprod
Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 am
I was mistaken, ignorant and wrong. Stravinsky, in regards to his place in history was the Dev of his time. I hope our Dev isn't old grey before he gets his due credit as Stravinsky did for his masterpiece the Rite of Spring. I do have to say though, that if you really want something that is as magical as Devin, listen to Petrushka.Imo it's in places more powerful and awe inspiring then any music I've ever heard, as The infernal dance in Firebird is more brutal then most extreme metal. Stravisnky and Devin are the gods of their generations.