Face your chaos, know who you are!
#199298 by Wander
Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 am
I'm really glad the reaction has been so positive in general.

I actually wrote a short review of the album for my English class, but I don't think it's that good (I'm not much of a writer in English), so I'm not sure I should post it anywhere... But I guess I could post it on this thread for now. Comments appreciated. If I feel like I can edit into something decent, I'll put it on Sputnikmusic. Here:

Ki is only the first one of the four Devin Townsend project albums that are being made in 2009. Despite this, Ki is definitely worth some (read: A LOT of) praise. It may not suit for those who prefer Devin’s extreme metal project Strapping Young Lad, but those into the more mellow and ambient side of Mr Townsend should be more than pleased with this offering.

The heaviness that is found in previous Devin Townsend releases has been greatly reduced in favour of a more cool and relaxed atmosphere. Some rage is still unleashed in songs such as Gato and Heaven Send, but even when this happens, things never get out of control, but the songs rather break down back to the ethereal mood.

The instrumentation is very solid with Duris Maxwell’s solid grooves on drums deserving extra credit. His playing never distracts you off from the song, but works for it. Devin himself once again proves how well his versatile voice works in every possible mood.

The remarkable thing about Ki is that while it propably isn’t something will blow people’s minds straight away, it slowly gets better with every listen. Not a single track is unnecessary. The beautiful melodies and atmosphere in songs such as Coast, Terminal and Lady Helen are unforgettable and catchy Trainfire stands out of the flow in a good way. The title song Ki finishes the deal with a wonderful climax that ties the album together.

There’s hardly anything not to like.

4.5/5

Did just a little bit editing so it shouldn't be completely bad now..
#199609 by emreis
Wed May 27, 2009 2:34 pm
Ok, sorry to bring it up, but here is one from Czech Republic and it is reeeeeeeeealy bad.
http://www.metalopolis.net/art_reviews.asp?id=4639 (only 2.5/10)

I don't mind the number...numbers don't mean anything to me, but the reviewer states, that it is a meaningless album, and Devin is just an old musician with no invention and fresh ideas. Now that IS bad, also because he mentions mostly the SYL albums, thus comparing "Ki" with SYL. But readers stated differently, so don't worry, still some fans here in Czech Republic. :D
#199638 by XIII
Wed May 27, 2009 5:48 pm
emreis wrote:Ok, sorry to bring it up, but here is one from Czech Republic and it is reeeeeeeeealy bad.
http://www.metalopolis.net/art_reviews.asp?id=4639 (only 2.5/10)

I don't mind the number...numbers don't mean anything to me, but the reviewer states, that it is a meaningless album, and Devin is just an old musician with no invention and fresh ideas. Now that IS bad, also because he mentions mostly the SYL albums, thus comparing "Ki" with SYL. But readers stated differently, so don't worry, still some fans here in Czech Republic. :D

I know this is asking a lot, but could you translate it?

I noticed a lot of people calling Trainfire an "Elvis impersonation." Do these people even listen to music? Elvis was one of many people who sang/played that style.

I dunno kind of annoying.
#199639 by flood_of_rain
Wed May 27, 2009 5:51 pm
reviewers can be real poofs sometimes.
i love how many bad reviewers try to come across like they have created some kind of insightful analysis of a record when in more cases than not, they dont even come close to "getting" the meaning or concept behind an album.
I think we all know that many people who dont get KI, are usually people who are waiting to hold it up against the rest of Devin's back catalogue. hell, i used to be like that when i was a young tadpole, but these days i try to listen to something based on it's own personal merit. for example, you cant compare KI to anything else Devin or SYL related, because its something new, a different direction. in this day and age, it doesnt matter what you do, musically. you will never escape people bitching about someone's art. whether it follows too closely to previous work or if it steers clear of the past and channels new energy.

personally, i admire artists who break the mould of what is expected of them. repetition does nothing for an artist's creativity

[youtube]pvujgcbaCF8[/youtube]
#199645 by day old male
Wed May 27, 2009 7:10 pm
I was hoping there'd be a thread for 'Ki Reactions' from us fans here at the Forums, but I figured this thread might be the best place for now.
I don't know how many times I've written a post like this over the years, but Devin - WOW!! You've done it again! Everytime, you just exceed expectations above and beyond - and I'm an old-school Hevy fan too :D
But seriously, this album is a Masterpiece. I feel there's a lot of new ground broken here; it's very unpredictable; extremely pleasant and inspiring to listen to. The MASSIVE ending to the song 'Ki' literally gave me shudders to think of what may be in store for us on some of the later albums in this series (as you have described them to be a bit heavier in nature than the overall peace of 'Ki'). But I don't want to single that out as a favourite moment on the album because there are just so damned many.
I really think this is an album that demonstrates a huge amount of control over the material and the performers - the most by far of all your albums, IMO. So, I guess what I mean by that is, to my ears, it's an incredible achievement in Producing, not just sound engineering (though, that side of things is flawless as well!).
Congratulations on creating such a unique and enjoyable album once again, Dev. Keep 'em coming, my VISA is at your command :wink:

James \m/
#199664 by XIII
Wed May 27, 2009 10:21 pm
I respect a reviewer that can explain themselves. It doesn't have to be a 10/10 to be a good review.

Personally, I didn't think Ki was perfect, so as long as the reviewer explains him/herself, I feel they don't need to give it a perfect score.

Music is an art, and different people want different things. The German reviewer was a zine called "Loud." What did you think they'd think of Ki? It's not "loud."
#199700 by emreis
Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 am
OK, here is a rough translation of the Czech review that gave "Ki" just 2.5/10. Well...actually it was written by a Slovak guy, but the language is very similar, so I understand it very well. Also, I am sorry, if the translation sounds weird sometimes, but I hope it will be understandable. So here it is:

Devin, why are you not having a rest instead? Why do you do this to us? There must be something wrong with our Canadian hero, when even a fan, who listens to Devin's albums for a long time, shakes his head in disbelief while listening through the new one hour long album. Yes, the overseas machine is definitely broken. It sinks, and the passengers in life boats just sadly think back on the old good times. Only the crazy tafty captain is sadly playing on his dusty old instruments.
In the context of the recent albums (whether it is the solo project albums or the STRAPPING YOUNG LAD albums - mostly the great "The New Black" album) come to mind arguments about a recapitulation of an interesting career, or maybe of a little repetition or maybe even stealing out his own ideas, while listening to the odd new album with even stranger title "Ki" I can't thing of a single word of apology for this album. Not even a stoned salmon can take this seriously.
Devin Townsend in the year 2009 is only a sad and tired artist with no new ideas(invention). Emptiness, artistical desert, mindless strum on an electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar and boring vocal drill. I don't understand, why has anyone recorded this. I don't understand, why anybody produced this. The attempt to deliver atmosphere of the old records like "Biomech" and "Terria", pseudo-Pink floyd parts, country, blunt edges of metal aggression, imitation of Elvis and the 60s pop music, jazz attempts - everything is dull, everything is wrong. Is it really the same guy, who took our breath away with the immortal monolith called "City"? The same guy, who composed such great songs like "Life", "Traveller" or "Bad Devil"? It's hard to believe. And it's even harder to imagine, what awaits us on the three albums that will come out after this "chillout" odd thing.

But as I said, readers don't agree with him...mostly...but hey, I don't mind, if someone doesn't like Devin's music...everyone has a different taste, so, I am OK with the numbers. But the review is on one of the biggest Czech/Slovak Metal webzine, and the only thing the reviewer said, was, that EVERYTHING on this album is wrong. And he even doesn't tell, it is HIS opinion, he sounds like he was talking in the name of fans in general. Now, that IS bad. But hey, it is just one review and the readers are mostly saing, that the album is GREAT, or just not their cup of tea. So thx to Dev for the album, although I am still waaaaaaaiting for the CD to arrive. But I sense it's near:D
#199773 by The Dev
Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm
Yep, not going to defend myself there...he's of course entirely correct in his mind. His expectations were not met.

I'm fine and dandy if no one buys it or even reviews it. I'm not out to ruin someones day, dissapoint someone, or annoy anybody.

Ki is damn near perfect in my mind...there is of course no such thing as a perfect record...but as a representation of what I needed to say? yup.

Again...folks are invited to do themselves a favor if it's in their nature to be hurt by a strangers honesty and download the stuff and save themselves any 'emotional turmoil' brought about by spending money in times of recession.

I did an interview with a guy the other day who was 'mortally offended' by my constant output and the new record. I made it clear to him, of course, that I wasn't doing it for him, and I'm going to keep doing it regardless...so why interview me? ...to tell me that? ...the only offense I took was his presumption that I cared.

Lots of love everyone, seriously...back to work!
#199774 by Overtone
Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm
Not even a stoned salmon, Dev... NOT EVEN A STONED SALMON!

(JK haven't heard it yet.)