Face your chaos, know who you are!
#181477 by Amber
Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 am
Feels weird saying this to someone a good few tears older than me. but anyway :P

Yeah - Get in contact. I'm sure he'll understand. Its gotta be no worse than sitting on here worrying and feeling horrible about it.
Hope things smooth over :D

And I think I agree with ROddy here. I don't think he means copying the drum beats or whatever, more the actual quality of drumming that should be upto Devs "usual"

Although please correct me if I am wrong :D
#181481 by the_scoon
Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:38 pm
I'd say on the whole drummer thing, if Devin has asked him to record on the album, he's going to give an amazing performance! I wouldn't think that anyone at Devin's level would just pick a random guy whom he didn't expect to seriously kick ass, to record on his latest album. I have no doubt in my mind that he will blow everyone away! I'm also super excited to hear a different drummer playing to Devin's music. Different feel, style, different approach to fills... Can't wait!
#181482 by auldj
Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm
Amber wrote:Feels weird saying this to someone a good few tears older than me. but anyway :P

Yeah - Get in contact. I'm sure he'll understand. Its gotta be no worse than sitting on here worrying and feeling horrible about it.

Exactly!!!
#181492 by Mazaro
Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 pm
I feel glad at this because, contrary to popular opinion maybe, I always thought Gene was too hard hitting for the softer and mellower moments on say, "Terria". Ryan was great, so was the guy on Ocean Machine. This new guy, being a jazz player, is sure to know dynamics.
#181499 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 pm
Mazaro wrote:I feel glad at this because, contrary to popular opinion maybe, I always thought Gene was too hard hitting for the softer and mellower moments on say, "Terria". Ryan was great, so was the guy on Ocean Machine. This new guy, being a jazz player, is sure to know dynamics.

Good point. Having this jazz cat in on it will be really cool, me thinks. New blood, new sound, maybe... whole different approach? Can't say for certain, but Devin seems to have alluded to something entirely new and unique for Ki.

Though not everyone might agree with me on this, but jazz and rock share plenty of fundamentals; people with solid jazz backgrounds and those with solid rock backgrounds could probably come up with some really neat material. It all depends on how it's done, but I think that a jazz-oriented drummer would be a really interesting addition to the CD. You know what I'm trying to say? :D
#181502 by Roddy
Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 pm
Amber wrote:Feels weird saying this to someone a good few tears older than me. but anyway :P

And I think I agree with ROddy here. I don't think he means copying the drum beats or whatever, more the actual quality of drumming that should be upto Devs "usual"

No, you're close to spot on!

The 'jazz' element DOES worry me slightly (don't get me wrong, I love jazz, but I love all of Dev's albums for their massive wall of progressive sound. Can a jazz guy reproduce this?), but as someone else said, you know Dev's going to choose someone who can pull off whatever he's wanting to do, musically. So all should be well!

The anticipation is building!
#181510 by BrunoN
Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:50 am
Roddy wrote:The 'jazz' element DOES worry me slightly (don't get me wrong, I love jazz, but I love all of Dev's albums for their massive wall of progressive sound. Can a jazz guy reproduce this?), but as someone else said, you know Dev's going to choose someone who can pull off whatever he's wanting to do, musically. So all should be well!

If you think about this for a while, it looks pretty fucking original. It isn't your your typical jazzy fusion combination, it's 60's motown drummer teamed with one of most progressive, modern metalists. Call me if you find anyone, who did that before.

(In other words, I'm all anticipation)
#181543 by Amber
Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 am
Roddy wrote:

The 'jazz' element DOES worry me slightly (don't get me wrong, I love jazz, but I love all of Dev's albums for their massive wall of progressive sound. Can a jazz guy reproduce this?), but as someone else said, you know Dev's going to choose someone who can pull off whatever he's wanting to do, musically. So all should be well!

Woo I'm almost right! :D Heehee - I think maybe you guys are too worried about writing him off as a jazz drummer too much. Don't label people maaan. :P If he wasn't the right sound for the album, I doubt Dev would have picked him, so I'm sure all will be well and good 8)
#181578 by Yanko
Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:12 pm
double post, sorry :oops:
Last edited by Yanko on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#181579 by Yanko
Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm
people are getting the whole jazz musician thing backwards here: people usually can't do jazz, so when they do, they usually can do anything else :D

And you're also forgetting that stuff that people like Gene Hoglan and Thomas Haake do, for example, are really jazzy in essence. And they're two of the hardest hitters alive!
#181631 by MeOpsis
Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 am
A jazzy feel can accommodate many types of music amazingly-hands down best example would be Martin Lopez formerly from Opeth though of course he has his Latin roots as well.
#181658 by BlueRaja
Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 am
MeOpsis wrote:A jazzy feel can accommodate many types of music amazingly-hands down best example would be Martin Lopez formerly from Opeth though of course he has his Latin roots as well.

I miss Martin. Loved his style, and he was so fun to watch. Hope he's doing well.
#181671 by Lettuce
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:02 pm
Roddy wrote:

You heard of a band called SikTh? Their drummer was a Jazz percussionist and they were the most apeshit bonkers collective to spawn from North London. I think their bassist was Jazz too.

Devy has never failed to impress me with each of his recordings, I'm pretty sure this one will be a cracker.