Face your chaos, know who you are!
#188339 by Overtone
Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:48 pm
That made me think of one... call up your local college station and get them to play some DT. They'd have to HAVE the CD and you'd have to wait for the right show but it's airplay...
#188340 by sarai-chan
Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm
All right, we have good spots from Finland covered now!

1) Tentotheminus9 - Rob Harrand - Leeds - UK
2) HeKaR - Karri Räisänen - Lappeenranta - Finland
3) Lettuce - Violet Casselden - London & Surrey - UK
4) Grimview - Jordan Carlson - Prince George - British Columbia, Canada
5) Lolliklauer - (sorry, no real name here) - Essen - Germany
6) Tyroshai - Steph Abbott - York - UK
7) soundsofentropy - Andrew Carlson - Austin, Texas, USA
8] FFLinchpin - Ryan Winterborne - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
9) Abydost - Morten Pedersen - Stavanger, Norway
10) Amber - Amber Grant - Berkshire - UK
11) Purple Phoenix - Michael Hays - Providence - RI / Katonah - NY
12) Lawrence - Lawrence Evans - Manchester - UK
13) Leechmaster - Mark Kane - Cork - Ireland
14) Zyprexa - Orla Daly - Cork - Ireland
15) Devymetalnut - Jezz Haddon - Cornwall - UK
16) Miek - Mike Martin - Syracuse, New York, USA
17) FUBAR - James Burden - Southampton, UK
18) WizardJoe - Joe Richards - Sheffield + London, UK
19) Dewy - Matt Yankovich - Bay Area (Pleasanton, specifically), CA, USA
20) gitrplaya4u - Zack Antonioli - Newport News, Virginia, USA
21) Robvondoom - Rob Leavey - Dublin City, Ireland
22) PoopTart - Spike Hoban - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
23) Islandsinthesky - Samuel Taylor - Chicago, Illinois, USA
24) jleclaire - Jared LeClaire - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
25) AccEvolution - Shawn Evans - Savannah, Georgia - USA
26) Phase - Matthew Space-Lizard Lee - Reading, Berkshire - UK
27) Wosko - Tyler Rose - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
28) Guuff - Jeff Coleman - Los Angeles(including San Fernando Valley), CA, USA
29) IX10N - Dave Burns - Melbourne - Australia
30) Falling Upward9 - Wade Wiseman - Pittspurgh - PA
31) djskrimp - Stoney Bair - Suwon, South Korea
32) Anatxema - Jose Mª Martinez - Barcelona - Spain
33) murren12k - Martin R. - Essen - Germany
34) Matt Nevens - Matt Nevens - Great Ayton, North Yorkshire - UK
35) niklang - Nick Langridge - Fareham, UK
36) Keeker - Wendy Greenlees - Perthshire, Scotland - UK
37) tattzi - Tatu Laine - Turku, Finland
38) cadmium - Michael Cook - St. Louis, Missouri - USA
39) sowdust - Sylvie Yeranotsian - Marseille, FRANCE
40) ChrisFerg - Chris Ferguson - London, UK
41) entvå3 - Adam Ekström - Motala, Sweden
42) pattmeterson - Patthew S. Meterson - Minneapolis, MN, USA
43) thrashartist - Matt Mericer - Hudson, New Hampshire, USA
44) Fnargl - (Will post name if needed) - Belfast, Northern Ireland UK
45) Sarai-chan (Sari Jokinen) - Vaasa, Finland

:guitar:
#188341 by IronMaiden736
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm
I want on this list...my computer broke so I haven't Been able to check here much...looks like I missed a lot.

Not sure where I should be posting this but whatever

Ironmaiden736 - John Peters - Santa Cruz, CA USA
Last edited by IronMaiden736 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#188342 by Leechmaster
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm
Realistically, the whole street team idea is marvellous and all but on such a monumental global scale, could it really work? If this is gonna be done on the major scale it deserves its gonna be more internet than real life, I think. Like Phase (kinda) said, we can't just all sit around on boomboxes in the streets between now and June shouting "BUY KI!" at the top of our lungs. Give people in the streets flyers, even metal-lovers or whatever, they'll probably just chuck em in the bin and it'd just be a big waste of time.. Such is uncaring human nature, methinks. It could be difficult to generate large-scale interest in an artist a lot of people aren't gonna immediately recognise. Well, unless you mention SYL, but that's so different a direction to this stuff it just wouldn't work..

Damn that's a lot of negativity.. I just think its gotta be internet promotion. We've got that facebook page, I set up a bebo page (I know its a fail, I don't think many people use it anymore - but hey, it's initiative!), there's the myspace page, this forum.. Thats already on the way, like. And you can see the reception these online things get in small amounts of time.

Like, remember the reception Ziltoid got? Those webisodes and stuff really generated a lot of interest. People spend lots of time on the internet, so things like videoclips, webisodes, sample tracks or anything like that is gonna generate more interest than people on the streets giving out flyers in my opinion. And everyone can only cover so much ground, there's unlimited access to a worldwide audience if you put more and more focus on the internet promotions.. You said you might do YouTube concerts, or you might stream some recordings of the Addicted sessions, or even just put up some of the video from the Ki recording. People fucking LOVE that kinda shit. They love seeing the music getting made and played. We can promote the hell out of that crap. Get radio to promote and announce it, put the times and dates and info all over forums and everything all across the net. That'll get you a bigger following than ever, I'd say.

As an example of internets power, Akercocke, when promoting an album a year or two ago, had the "Antichrist Code", a sort of scavenger hunt around the internet, and if you solved the whole code you got to hear some streams of songs from the upcoming album. I don't even like Akercocke and I spent ages (along with Biert! :D) getting through the thing, it was brilliant fun and I told loads of people to do it and a lot of them did for the craic of it. The internet has incredibly limitless possibilities. Find out what people want, make it your own, and people'll flock to it.

I'm not saying completely rule out the human-related promoting, but like.. I think you should focus on the internet first. There's a wider audience to be reached, you yourself will have greater control over everything. If you need computer savvy people to help out or run some specific site or anything I'm such there's plenty of people here that would be able to help out. I also think you feeling you have to give us anything is complete bull, man. People should just be happy to help you get your music out there, considering you give us a hell of a lot of great music, and the communication you have with us on here is something you just don't find anywhere. I've never come across another artist to run so much info about upcoming releases past fans, let alone ask them for input on things.. So really, you shouldn't feel you have to give us anything for spreading the music. We owe you the helping hand and should be more than happy about it, if anything [/epic fanboy mode off].

Phew. There's a rant.
Last edited by Leechmaster on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#188344 by Grimview
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:23 pm
To clarify past things I've mentioned;

I would totally do street team work for free. Promoting Dev is something I do whenever I get the oppurtunity anyway. :P However, Dev was asking what he could do for us in return... so I made suggestions. :P
#188345 by OceanMachine15
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:28 pm
Saying you fronted SYL isn't bad, it's a damn good band! That's how Serj Tankian (SOAD) got his solo stuff out. Viral videos on YouTube would be good too. It has to be something funny though. Meatball is pretty funny, but to the masses it's not that great. lolcats are still pretty funny and I think if you filmed your cats doing something uniquely stupid under the name DevinTownsend instead of poopynuggeteer, you can promote yourself that way. I think the main concern is getting the name Devin Townsend out to the masses now. Ki is not metal, so this can reach a WIDE audience instead of just metalheads. I hate to say it, but almost everyone I've ever asked has never heard the name Devin Townsend and I have asked A LOT of people, so if the album's gonna get big, the name and prior material should get known too.
What else...as someone else said, radio is good. That's a great route to do.
43) thrashartist - Matt Mericer - Hudson, New Hampshire, USA
45) Sarai-chan (Sari Jokinen) - Vaasa, Finland
46) OceanMachine15 (Adam)- Seattle, Washington USA
#188347 by Tosser
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:47 pm
I'm up for helping out with some promotion. I live in London and would be up for at least handing out some flyers or getting some stickers put up in some clubs.
#188348 by Falling Upward9
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm
Is there some kind of demo for this?

This may sound stupid but, I could get somthing in my school paper.
Make a section for music the readers are looking forward to.

I have group of friends that could "submit" this album.
It might be small scale, but it would be a fun thing to set up.
#188349 by Amber
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 pm
Leechmaster wrote:Realistically, the whole street team idea is marvellous and all but on such a monumental global scale, could it really work? If this is gonna be done on the major scale it deserves its gonna be more internet than real life, I think. Like Phase (kinda) said, we can't just all sit around on boomboxes in the streets between now and June shouting "BUY KI!" at the top of our lungs. Give people in the streets flyers, even metal-lovers or whatever, they'll probably just chuck em in the bin and it'd just be a big waste of time.. Such is uncaring human nature, methinks. It could be difficult to generate large-scale interest in an artist a lot of people aren't gonna immediately recognise. Well, unless you mention SYL, but that's so different a direction to this stuff it just wouldn't work..

Damn that's a lot of negativity.. I just think its gotta be internet promotion. We've got that facebook page, I set up a bebo page (I know its a fail, I don't think many people use it anymore - but hey, it's initiative!), there's the myspace page, this forum.. Thats already on the way, like. And you can see the reception these online things get in small amounts of time.

Like, remember the reception Ziltoid got? Those webisodes and stuff really generated a lot of interest. People spend lots of time on the internet, so things like videoclips, webisodes, sample tracks or anything like that is gonna generate more interest than people on the streets giving out flyers in my opinion. And everyone can only cover so much ground, there's unlimited access to a worldwide audience if you put more and more focus on the internet promotions.. You said you might do YouTube concerts, or you might stream some recordings of the Addicted sessions, or even just put up some of the video from the Ki recording. People fucking LOVE that kinda shit. They love seeing the music getting made and played. We can promote the hell out of that crap. Get radio to promote and announce it, put the times and dates and info all over forums and everything all across the net. That'll get you a bigger following than ever, I'd say.

As an example of internets power, Akercocke, when promoting an album a year or two ago, had the "Antichrist Code", a sort of scavenger hunt around the internet, and if you solved the whole code you got to hear some streams of songs from the upcoming album. I don't even like Akercocke and I spent ages (along with Biert! :D) getting through the thing, it was brilliant fun and I told loads of people to do it and a lot of them did for the craic of it. The internet has incredibly limitless possibilities. Find out what people want, make it your own, and people'll flock to it.

I'm not saying completely rule out the human-related promoting, but like.. I think you should focus on the internet first. There's a wider audience to be reached, you yourself will have greater control over everything. If you need computer savvy people to help out or run some specific site or anything I'm such there's plenty of people here that would be able to help out. I also think you feeling you have to give us anything is complete bull, man. People should just be happy to help you get your music out there, considering you give us a hell of a lot of great music, and the communication you have with us on here is something you just don't find anywhere. I've never come across another artist to run so much info about upcoming releases past fans, let alone ask them for input on things.. So really, you shouldn't feel you have to give us anything for spreading the music. We owe you the helping hand and should be more than happy about it, if anything [/epic fanboy mode off].

Phew. There's a rant.

I understand what you are saying, but you can do a lot more human based interaction than just handing out flyers. If you think of somethign in an orginal and unique way, people will check it out. I was planning on a costume and busting out my spring stilts for example. People ALWAYS want to talk to you if you are on stilts. :D I used to do soem advertising for a circus shop, so I'd just go out and jump on my stilts for a while, and hand out a ton of flyers. They would make usually an extra £150 a day whenever I did that. :P

The key would be to advertise in interesting ways. A few I've seen before is huge banners etc hung off of bridge, buildings, etc. Handing out CD's with a couple of songs on is good too. However, there is the issue of "Do you want to hand out one of your songs free?" But I got into a band because they gave me a free CD 8) Coming up with badges and things is good too. A lot of people like being given free stuff, so provided the badges look athestically pleasing, they'll probably take it and hopefully investigate it. (even if it is only down to curiosity.)

we can get around the whole "Ug. Take Flyer." thing. Positive vibes and creativity is all we need. 8)

Obviously a strong internet basis is good though. :D
#188350 by Lolliklauer
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:09 pm
I don´t know if this were already suggested, but i think it would be good to have some kind of official page (or subforum) were we could tell other street-team-members about our efforts and discuss them. Any kind of "reward" or "payment" would be contra-productive, because i think we all want to do it just because we want to spread the word. What we need maybe is shiny "new" material to get people into Dev's stuff, were we could set hyperlinks to and so on. Like funny Webisodes or something.

Edit: Leechmaster already said it in a better way, i totally agree with him:
Leechmaster wrote:Like, remember the reception Ziltoid got? Those webisodes and stuff really generated a lot of interest. People spend lots of time on the internet, so things like videoclips, webisodes, sample tracks or anything like that is gonna generate more interest than people on the streets giving out flyers in my opinion. And everyone can only cover so much ground, there's unlimited access to a worldwide audience if you put more and more focus on the internet promotions.. You said you might do YouTube concerts, or you might stream some recordings of the Addicted sessions, or even just put up some of the video from the Ki recording. People fucking LOVE that kinda shit. They love seeing the music getting made and played. We can promote the hell out of that crap. Get radio to promote and announce it, put the times and dates and info all over forums and everything all across the net. That'll get you a bigger following than ever, I'd say.
Last edited by Lolliklauer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#188353 by shanky
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:25 pm
You guys missed a couple before adding your names, so I'm gonna post an updated list with everyone's name.

43) thrashartist - Matt Mercier - Hudson, New Hampshire, USA
45) pigdavis - Max Davis - SF/Bay Area, CA, USA
46) Evo - John Pusztai - Paris, France
47) shanky - Shawn Zacchigna - Waterloo (Toronto/London), Ontario, Canada
48) Sarai-chan (Sari Jokinen) - Vaasa, Finland
49) OceanMachine15 (Adam)- Seattle, Washington USA
50) Stitch, Synthetic_Urination, Portland OR, USA
51) Ironmaiden736 - John Peters - Santa Cruz, CA USA
#188355 by OceanMachine15
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 pm
Well, you're saying it's a bad idea to give out a free song to people, but c'mon let's be realistic. If anyone really wanted the whole CD without buying it, it could happen in a second. Giving out a free song isn't a bad idea at all.
#188357 by jleclaire
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:53 pm
Dev,

The street team I work for now sets up an account system through the record label website and sends me different tasks that I have a certain amount of time to complete. Usually its hanging up some posters, handing out stuff at shows, retail tracking, etc. Once I get it done I send them pictures/paperwork/video just to prove I actually did it. In return I get cd's, dvd's, and other merch. Could be a model to consider... We could also have a myspace/facebook/whatever group to coordinate and and organize things. To be honest I'd do this for free, I'm always at shows in Atlanta and live at a college so I can spread the word like crazy. I'm also a Mass Comm. major so this is very appealing to me.

Just my two cents :)

Take care.