Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#176415 by Blazingmonga
Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:26 pm
I thought it was pretty good!

I mean, would you expect it to be better?
#176496 by djskrimp
Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:36 am
I respect your opinion, Matt, but I don't completely agree. It wasn't bad. The sound was decent, and given the sheer number of elements in that song that are required to hit on all cylinders to work, I thought it was a pretty decent effort.
#177929 by Nathan_lol
Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 pm
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? They fucking ruined one of the best Strapping songs by making another one of those shitty watered down generic metal tracks that you hear in Hot Topic all the time. Fuck, the singer fucking sucks, he's just singing exactly what Devin sings, except not good. Jesus Christ, this is a fucking embarrassment.
#177946 by djskrimp
Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:25 am
Nathan_lol wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? They fucking ruined one of the best Strapping songs by making another one of those shitty watered down generic metal tracks that you hear in Hot Topic all the time. Fuck, the singer fucking sucks, he's just singing exactly what Devin sings, except not good. Jesus Christ, this is a fucking embarrassment.

Dude, order of magnitude. How the hell can ANYONE but SYL do a SYL song right? I mean, seriously? I have to give them kudos for not bungling it as bad as they could have.

I'm getting mellow in my old age.
#178623 by Devymetalnut
Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 pm
All I can say is my personal opinion is that it's average at best. The musicianship is great but those vocals, maaan they are gaawd awful but then he is getting compared to Dev's amazing vocal range so I spose it is a good effort.
I just don't think anyone should bother trying to do a cover of a SYL or Devy song if their vocals arent strong enough to even give the song some emotion and power/presence. Kudos of course for going ahead and doing it, like I said the musicianship is pretty good but can't help but cringe at the vox.
Anyone know if Cryptopsy's other material is worth a listen.
#178646 by Pathological_Frolic
Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 pm
Devymetalnut wrote:Anyone know if Cryptopsy's other material is worth a listen.

This is a request for recommendations?

Well, I personally would avoid Cryptopsy's newest, but if you're into the more technical forms of deathcore (with a few instances of straight up clean vocals, at that), I'd imagine you'd like it. The new one is the only one that has the vocalist featured in this cover. As far as the rest of their discography goes, the first two with Daniel Greening (Lord Worm) on vocals are my favorites (Both are dark, doomy prototypical brutal death metal with minor Suffocation influences), but the next two after them with DiSalvo are good for what they are, which is chaotic technical extreme metal more in congruence with the modern Canadian tech death scene. The one before the last with Greening back in the fold, Once Was Not was alright, but it was merely an extension of ...And Then You'll Beg as far as music goes.
Last edited by Pathological_Frolic on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#178945 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 am
Wow I just heard their cover -
You can tell it was a solid effort, but I just don't think it was happening. You could tell they really tried though. It's just OMFG would be a really hard song to cover for anyone! :|
#182410 by Blazingmonga
Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:07 pm
Devy, spelled Devy! wrote:Wow I just heard their cover -
You can tell it was a solid effort, but I just don't think it was happening. You could tell they really tried though. It's just OMFG would be a really hard song to cover for anyone! :|

I agree.

I am not surprised that a lot of the folk here don't like it...it is a pretty mental song to try and cover. I think they did a great job to come up with what they did!

I'd like to hear a flamenco version, with Gwen Stefani on vocals.
#182691 by Antiyou
Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:00 pm
Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Devymetalnut wrote:Anyone know if Cryptopsy's other material is worth a listen.

This is a request for recommendations?

Well, I personally would avoid Cryptopsy's newest, but if you're into the more technical forms of deathcore (with a few instances of straight up clean vocals, at that), I'd imagine you'd like it. The new one is the only one that has the vocalist featured in this cover. As far as the rest of their discography goes, the first two with Daniel Greening (Lord Worm) on vocals are my favorites (Both are dark, doomy prototypical brutal death metal with minor Suffocation influences), but the next two after them with DiSalvo are good for what they are, which is chaotic technical extreme metal more in congruence with the modern Canadian tech death scene. The one before the last with Greening back in the fold, Once Was Not was alright, but it was merely an extension of ...And Then You'll Beg as far as music goes.

Mandatory ownership of None So Vile should be law for metal fans. I have yet to hear a better death metal song than Phobophile. All others are discretionary. The Disalvo era was great musically but really lacked the ominous gutterals and piercing shreiks that were Lord Worm's claim to fame. Everything after ...And Then You'll Beg is average at best. Lord Worm's return (from teaching little children) was an enormous disappointment. Line-up changes have killed the once heralded "Best Technical Death Metal Band".