The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#76559 by Dicodisco
Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:05 am
Here are a few interesting tidbits taken from an interview Dev gave to French magazine "Rock Hard" in its latest issue.

NEXT ALBUM
"These days I'm working on another project, much nicer than "Alien", which I call The Hummer. I call it The Hunter too cause its aim is to hunt down the "Alien". It's all made of vibes (Dev goes "hmmmmmmmm", imitating background noises), angel chants, something perfect to quietly fall asleep. To that effect, I also use sithar and indian chants. It's very relaxing. "The Hummer" might be the first ambiant album I do without any vocals, the first I do for listeners to feel good. Its cover will be just white layers, contrary to "Devlab"'s, which was much darker".

My P.O.V.: "The Hummer" seems to be the project most of you here call "Human". It is *not* the next DTB album. From my understanding, it seems to be much closer to "Devlab", and considering its experimental nature (as you can judge), it might be sold only via the website, just like "Devlab" (though I may be wrong on that point).

DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND
"The new album is all written now. Actually I'm showing each band member its own part. It might be titled Synchestra and it's only made of one song, divided in ten chapters. It's incredibly beautiful. Like butterflies ! We shall enter the studio in august as soon as I come back from the SYL tour. It should be out by the end of 2005."

KERMIT
"I'm fond of electronic music. I'm just still learning right now. Thus I refuse to release everything I do related to it , except when I sell it on the website. We only press 500 or 1 000 copies of each project, and then concentrate on the next one. Kermit is one of those. It's done with the help of Dan Kearley, one of my sound engineers. It's a live multimedia impro. Some tracks might very well appear as extras in the bonus edition for the next DTB".

#76568 by jon
Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:57 am
sweet

#76572 by Verdo
Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:07 am
i wish i could travel in time...I can't wait!!

#76630 by asparagusDuck
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:02 pm
wait im confused. So Human is really called "Hummer" and its NOT DTB?

#76634 by Noodles
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:40 pm
CoC: Let's talk about the Devin Townsend band for a second -- what is the situation with the new album?

DT: I've got the record done. I just have to record it. I've left the guys with the demos while I'm out here, so they're learning it right now.

CoC: You want to give me an idea of what it might sound like?

DT: <laughs> Fucking awesome. The big trend right now is one song, so it's one song. I'm probably going to put IDs into it, but it's one piece and it's very orchestral.

CoC: So a little like the longer songs on Ocean Machine perhaps?

DT: Some of them, except this album is happy. It's like the emotional opposite to _Alien_; it's like lullabies that still have that heavy edge to them.

CoC: One gets the idea from reading interviews with you that Devin Townsend Band is probably more of a passion for you than Strapping Young Lad.

he doesnt call it human in that interview, maybe theres been a bit of a name change? o.O

#76671 by Coma Divine
Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:54 am
Further to that, here's a quote from Tracy via the Yahoo Devinpics email I received today:

Tracy wrote:There is more touring planned but Devin has booked off half of August and
all of September to record the new DTB album. It is tentatively called
'Sychestra' (changed from Human). The DTB DVD will likely be released as a
bonus disc with the album and not independently. Like in 2003, Devin thinks
that the two records will artistically compliment as well as contradict one
another.
So...tentatively.

Things could change between now and then but the overall creational intent of the next DTB remains (she's referring to "Alien" as well there).
And asparagusDuck - I think you'll find Devin is talking about his next solo-type project as "The Hummer"; a distinct creation from the next DTB album (Sychestra/Human).

#76683 by fragility
Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:37 am
End of 2005....I think not....oh god this is going to kill me...thank god Alien is such a masterpiece, otherwise I'd be tearing my hair out!

#76694 by Olive?
Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:22 am
Verdo wrote:i wish i could travel in time...I can't wait!!

fragility wrote:End of 2005....I think not....oh god this is going to kill me...thank god Alien is such a masterpiece, otherwise I'd be tearing my hair out!

You're right guys...
The wait is unbearable!! :sad:

#76709 by Janne
Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:10 pm
Actually, I feel quite alright with the wait. Although I had expected the DVD to come earlier...

There are a couple of other artists I have a tendency to buy albums from that release stuff these coming months, and I'm rather broke at the moment, so I'll be glad if I can afford food too. (You don't get much nutrition from a CD!)