The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#75961 by asparagusDuck
Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:38 am
How many people have you gotten into Devin's stuff? So far, I've been a fan of Townsend for about 8 or 9 months and I still have not converted a SINGLE person. I've only exposed a few people to his music, but none have taken any interest. grrr.
However, on the general discussion boards at dreamtheater.net i always recommend Dev whenever the chance comes up, so maybe that led to something hopefully!

So how about you guys?

Also, I'm curious as to which album you think would be the best introduction to his stuff. I'd go with either Terria or Ocean Machine.

#75963 by Noodles
Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 am
3-5 ish, liked him since october.

if they're a metalhead, play them something from Alien. Otherwise i find Depth Charge, Suicide, Life, Bastard or maybe Earth Day good songs to play.

#75964 by Terraformer
Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:08 am
Hm, lemme think...

There might be some I've forgotten right now, but there's at least 42
people that I've converted to "Devyism" yet. :happy:

#75967 by fragility
Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:22 am
I'm not sure I ever have....people either have no chance of liking it, or already know it....I've been a fan for about 4 years now i think, there might have been a couple who ive got to listen to it, but not many

#75969 by asparagusDuck
Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:06 am
I played Alien for a friend of mine who is a big metal head. He didn't like it because it was too noisy. his puny little brain couldnt handle the mayhem, mwahaha.

i played a bunch of devy stuff for him too and he said it was just mediocre. the only songs he likes at all are satan's icecream truck and colonial boy.

i have another chum that likes an SYL mix cd i gave him, mostly Far Beyong Metal, but he lost the Dev cd i gave him. Perhaps i'll make him another one, hes the only one that seemed hopeful at all.

#75972 by simen_88
Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:56 am
I've made about 4 people like Dev so far.

#75974 by burning witch
Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:59 am
5 years = 2 people (my dad and my best friend), haha. Most of my nearest and dearest friends already love The Dev anyway.

#75976 by Olive?
Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:08 am
I'm a Dev fan since 1998 and I converted 10 people, but only 3 of them likes SYL too. The great part it's only DTB.

#75981 by Anidar
Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:15 pm
I've not converted anyone, even though i've tried.
"Hey, listen to this, like, supreme awesome metal!"
But, not a single convert. Been listening to him for... 2 years, i think.

#75989 by the-fluke
Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 pm
A friend of mine who knew i was into Dev bought me the special edition of Accelerated Evolution for my birthday, not realising i already had it. She kept it though and listened to it. SHe said devs definately got the most amazing voice shes ever heard. sounds like a convert to me! :D

#76000 by earworm
Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 pm
I get pretty frustrated at my friends, there very opinionated people and they find it very easy to hate the music I like especially Devin Townsend. I'm the only person that likes his stuff from where I live. My one friend would probably like him if he would listen to his stuff longer than a few minutes but he's too much into the black metal and all those blast beats. Blast beats can be cool but it can get old after 45 minutes. I wish I knew some people who I could play some devin to and they would actually like it. Unfortunately I have yet to find any here, I need to move. It sucks when you can't rock out and enjoy your favorite music with someone who enjoys it as much as you do. I'm a lonely hevydevy fan :cry: But I'll be ok 8)

#76017 by Olive?
Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:08 am
Hey man, you're not alone!!
You are a member of a laaaarge worldwide family!!! :lol:

Hail bro!!

#76078 by earworm
Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:17 pm
Thanks man :)

"for now WE RIDE!"

#76083 by asparagusDuck
Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:08 pm
Man, it would be SO SO nice just to be able to kick back with a buddy and enjoy some Dev. T'would be a dream come true, *sniff.

#76095 by Terraformer
Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:06 am
Thank god...I HAVE those buddies!