The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#72956 by asparagusDuck
Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:04 am
for the longest time, i thought the title of this song was pronounced tiny teers as in tears from crying. i guess from the line "wipe away that tear from your eye". but then he says "they all get out from tiny tears".
i feel kinda stupid looking back, i mean why would someone have little miniature tears? anybody else think this at first or am i the only bozo who got it wrong?

woah thats a coincidence. i have my devy stuff on random and tiny tears just came up.

#72960 by Blazingmonga
Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:47 am
I always thought it was mean't to be ambiguous. I think the thing with Dev's lyrics is that they are open to interpretation. They are written in such a way that everyone can connect personally with them, but for their own reasons...which may be different.

So if you hear tears as in 'crying', then thats fine. But if somebody else only ever thought of it as in 'tearing' then thats also fine.

There are many other lines that are like this, thought maybe not all deliberate.

For example (the only example I can think of just now!) in the song Life Is All Dynamics...there is the line "Unsure? Well, here's help with the weight", which I always heard as 'help with the wait', but it makes sense either way. To me.

Heh, not the best example...but there are more! If anyone else can come up with some, then please post them! Make me feel less crazy.

#73005 by asparagusDuck
Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:22 pm
hmm, i like your point. i never thought of it that way.
i always heard "here's help with the WAIT" too.

#73158 by psychotic
Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:35 pm
Very interesting point. I'll have to actually look over the lyrics to see which one seems to make more sense to me, but like already said, one of the best thing about Devin's music is that the lyrics are very open to interpretation.

#73161 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:40 pm
you mean its NOT pronounced "teers" ??!!!

your not alone duck: i thought so too.... hmm learn somethign new every day

#73204 by Persuader
Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:41 am
"Tear" as in "tear apart" ? Hm, well whadyaknow.. Never thought of that. :)

#74498 by asparagusDuck
Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:42 pm
hmm, i thought i was the only one who interpreted it as crying tears. at least i wasn't alone. now i can't make up my mind, is it tears as in crying or tears as in ripping? ahh!

has dev ever introduced the song live and said it himself. i'm just curious what he originally had in mind.

#74532 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:22 am
dont think he plays it live? the only time i can recal is in a video clip of "away" he includes a solo from the song.

#74551 by oneeyedshepherd
Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:00 pm
Kinda off topic, but i always wondered whether Poison The Well's "Tear From The Red" was tear (i.e. drop) or tear (i.e. apart). Anyone know? anyway continue with the discussion as before i interrupted :roll:

#74595 by Devine
Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:33 am
Well, I don't know if this is a decent reply to the subject, but if you check out Travis Smith's artwork for Tiny Tears (which is beautiful) you can see little leafs falling from Devin's (?) eye. I always thought of them as crying tears, by the way.

Cheers

#74951 by Marshall Bravestar
Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:30 am
I must admit I'd always thought of it as boohoo tears, not rippin' tears!

Four years and I never even thought about it!!

Ha ha! Interesting stuff...

#75855 by DimeWeed
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:41 pm
Wow - i've also never thought of it as "tair" - although i can;t find the part in that song where Dev sings "they all get out from tiny tears" - when does that happen?

#75856 by controlledchaos
Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:04 pm
it actually says "they all went out through tiny tears (tairs)" I believe

#75857 by Coma Divine
Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 pm
Early on, from 1.27...

But I think ambiguity is the aim. Witness that the first words are:
"Baby baby, don't you cry. Wipe away that tear from your eye."