You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#113413 by gurp13
Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:51 pm
Did everyone just forget that there's a difference between Hevy Devy and Century Media? I mean, of course it's a low budget DVD.

For me, I think the DVD was great. I watched it a couple of times and dug it.

#113415 by BlueRaja
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:26 pm
gurp13 wrote:Did everyone just forget that there's a difference between Hevy Devy and Century Media? I mean, of course it's a low budget DVD.

Bingo. It's "bonus material". I got a kick out of it. Laughed often. And mentally thanked DTB for taking the time to create it, because they certainly didn't have to. :)

#113419 by Coma Divine
Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:01 pm
Skeptic wrote:Damn it guys, I thought at least SYL were supposed to tour Oz in April, but they're apparently going back in the studio in March? Anyone comfirm this?
Yeah, they were initially aiming for Feb/March here, but the writing of the new album has apparently proceeded so well, that they're running with it.

#113427 by aedro
Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:59 pm
BlueRaja wrote:Did everyone just forget that there's a difference between Hevy Devy and Century Media? I mean, of course it's a low budget DVD.

Yeah, I realise that they wouldn't have anywhere near the budget of a CM release but those colourful patterns and split screen shots weren't neccesary and just added to the budget-ness of the whole DVD. It was as if they tried to make it "flashy"... if you're gonna do something cheap - leave it that way. Raw video would have been better than cheap effects.

gurp13 wrote:Bingo. It's "bonus material". I got a kick out of it. Laughed often. And mentally thanked DTB for taking the time to create it, because they certainly didn't have to. :)

But it wasn't originally tipped as "bonus material". It was meant to be a stand alone DVD.

Damnit... Now I just sound like I'm whinging. :? :roll:

#113430 by BrunoN
Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:17 am
aedro wrote:Yeah, I realise that they wouldn't have anywhere near the budget of a CM release but those colourful patterns and split screen shots weren't neccesary and just added to the budget-ness of the whole DVD. It was as if they tried to make it "flashy"... if you're gonna do something cheap - leave it that way. Raw video would have been better than cheap effects.

I concur. Clean shot without effects would be great. With no expense it would look less cheap :) I just can't understand, how someone can think that colorful patterns constantly flying over the live footage can make things look better. Purpose of live material is to show band as realistically as possible - if I can't see them live, I want to see it on video as close to the real thing as possible. Colorful soup flying before your eyes isn't typical phenomenon during your gig watching experience, is it? Considering you're sober, of course.

aedro wrote:But it wasn't originally tipped as "bonus material". It was meant to be a stand alone DVD.

That's the point. All the critique ("bitching", as some like to call it) comes from anticipation. It's first official appearance of DTB on video, innit? No wonder people wanted to see it made cool, after all fuss about full featured live DVD turned into bonus included to the Synchestra.

Ok, stop negativity. Ad. performance - it's great, period. Yesterday it played in the background on my PC through entire evening. SHHHHTORM!!1 :)

Ok, now I can fuck off

#113439 by Hughie
Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:53 am
Can anybody post a screenshot of these controversial visuals??

#113445 by chrisslight
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:02 am
Wow, I didnt realise there would be any disapointment over this DVD. I liked the live show, and the extras are cool as well. I dont understand you guys complaining about the production value of it mind you, Hevy Devy dont have the same budget as CM, who I believe produced the Alien DVD, and therefore its not going to look as crisp or clean. Does that matter? Hell no. I paid my few extra pounds to see the DTB play live, which is actually crisp i might add, any extras at all was a bonus, and we got two of them.
Rock on guys.

#113451 by Biert
Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:07 am
aedro wrote:But it wasn't originally tipped as "bonus material". It was meant to be a stand alone DVD.

Originally, DTB were planning for a full blown DVD release (I think) and there was a live show recorded for this. But the show and the footage weren't really good so they decided not to use any of that. But the budget that was invested in recording that show was gone of course, so they had to take a step back. So you can not compare the two. The footage on this DVD was by no means meant to be a stand alone DVD.

I'm not sure about all this, but I remember Tracy mentioning something like that. Maybe she can confirm this and/or correct me.

#113488 by Emperor Mordred
Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:02 pm
a friend of me who didn't liked some DT songs i send to him saw parts of the dvd when he was visiting some cd shop and asked to borrow my copy of Synchestra :D

i bought Synchestra for 20€ or something, the dvd is worth the extra cash, though i don't watch dvd's often

#113516 by Hughie
Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:08 pm
Thanks BrunoN, I had thought the visuals were behind, like a picture framed main picture and then visuals behind it. Hmm.. very intriguing indeed!

#113517 by Mudtrailer
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:30 pm
Best thing about the visuals: they lessen with each time you watch :)

#113528 by EvilPanda
Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:05 pm
The "special effects" used in the DVD could have been tolerable if they were used behind the camera frame. What I mean is that in some shots the frame isn't totally full screen and there are black spaces at the top and bottom of the screen where the "special effects" could appear. I think that's what happens in some shot, but I would prefer it would be like that in all the live gig.

Btw awesome DVD! I think I might rip it in audio as well.

#113548 by BrunoN
Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:29 am
Mudtrailer wrote:Best thing about the visuals: they lessen with each time you watch :)

Haha, yes, I have to agree :)

#113556 by SirJuzzi
Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:51 am
Oh please, don't be so damn pathetic! The DVD is one of the best bonus things I've ever seen for an album. The sound quality is very good on the "live" section, clearly better than on SYL DVD which is a standalone. The band and Devin show themselves as they are, so then fans could see how they are. I was amazed by the live section, even thought the picture effects kinda sucked. Still, the whole thing is very enjoyable to watch. So if you consider what's the DVD for, and what its budget was, I think it's quite rude to really complain about it.