You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#113290 by Biert
Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:52 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:The DVD is awesome. It is you that sucks.

I think the DVD is awesome, but your second comment is a bit poor. Even though I totally disagree with the topic starter, I appreciate the tone of his argument and that it neither contained nor attracted comments like that.

danceswithchickens wrote:And to everyone who disses the visuals; this is not a concert. There is no light show, no crowd, nothing but the band, the studio, and the camera guys to focus on. The visuals were an attempt to keep things interesting, and quite frankly, it worked very well.

Absolutely spot on. I for one really love the visuals! I really like these kind of things anyway...the ones on the DVD remind me of a plug-in for Winamp I have called 'Milkdrop'. Very cool stuff.

Perhaps those who don't like the DVD so much would do well to record an audio-only version of the disc, and treat it as a best-of compilation. The audio is such high quality that I think it would work well as this.

Overall, this is definately the best bonus DVD I have seen. Very impressive stuff, especially given the budget and time restraints (and any bong water problems!!!).

I agree with every single line of that. Pure fucking wisdom :amen:

#113294 by dub
Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 am
Biert wrote:I think if you spend more time on these forums, you will get to appreciate it more. I'm not sure I would have liked both the album and the DVD as much if I wouldn't be visiting these forums all the time.

It's a funny thing to think about.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8702

#113299 by Naffis-kun
Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:47 am
Come on, guys.
Let's not start bashing.

Devin's cd's and dvd's surely get opinions of every kind.
Everyone experiences Devin's artistic stuff differently, so we really can't argue which cd fails and so on.

#113300 by Mudtrailer
Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:50 am
danceswithchickens wrote:And to everyone who disses the visuals; this is not a concert. There is no light show, no crowd, nothing but the band, the studio, and the camera guys to focus on. The visuals were an attempt to keep things interesting, and quite frankly, it worked very well.

Well, this is simply a matter of taste. I really enjoyed the DVD on a whole, very entertainng. I simply wasnt big on the flashing colors.

Does it ruin the DVD? No
Would it be better with out the color flashes? In my opinion, yes.
Thats where it sits with me.

#113312 by Morphine
Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:03 am
Just goes to show that you can't please 'em all.

Whomever commented on Devin's vocals being poor. :roll:

Hopefully Devin and Tracy are taking notes here...

Next time... give the fans an extremely modern and polished DVD menu with absolutely no footage of the band anywhere. :p

#113323 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:The DVD is awesome. It is you that sucks.

I think the DVD is awesome, but your second comment is a bit poor. Even though I totally disagree with the topic starter, I appreciate the tone of his argument and that it neither contained nor attracted comments like that.

Absolutely spot on. I for one really love the visuals! I really like these kind of things anyway...the ones on the DVD remind me of a plug-in for Winamp I have called 'Milkdrop'. Very cool stuff.

Perhaps those who don't like the DVD so much would do well to record an audio-only version of the disc, and treat it as a best-of compilation. The audio is such high quality that I think it would work well as this.

Overall, this is definately the best bonus DVD I have seen. Very impressive stuff, especially given the budget and time restraints (and any bong water problems!!!).

You'll live longer if you don't take everything I say so seriously :wink:. I just couldn't be bothered taking the time to write up a detailed counter-argument. But in retrospect, I guess it was a poor comment.

#113324 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:14 am
From all the bitching on this forum, I was expecting something really horrible regarding the visuals. It was actually a pleasant surprise...

And consider this; the DVD is a BONUS. It's not like they charged us $30 for the damned thing. It's a hell of a lot better than a lot of other bonus DVDs I've seen in my time...

#113361 by junkmonkey
Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:32 pm
In Flames could take a few notes from DTB on how to release bonus DVD's,*hint hint* Come Clarity DVD claiming to be live..... :roll:

#113376 by yrosh
Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:53 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:And consider this; the DVD is a BONUS. It's not like they charged us $30 for the damned thing. It's a hell of a lot better than a lot of other bonus DVDs I've seen in my time...

+1

The show is short but cool (after "sad but true", "short but cool" :lol: ). A cool thing, like the DVD bonus on the last Metallica (very good surprise). Don't judge this kind of things like albums... you feel that cool? Cool! You feel that crap? Ok, it's just a bonus thing...

#113382 by Mudtrailer
Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:49 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:From all the bitching on this forum, I was expecting something really horrible regarding the visuals. It was actually a pleasant surprise...

And consider this; the DVD is a BONUS. It's not like they charged us $30 for the damned thing. It's a hell of a lot better than a lot of other bonus DVDs I've seen in my time...

Exactly. Im happy I baught it: simply worth the extra $$ for it. Isnt perfect by a DVD critic's standard Im sure, but it made me smile and I had never seen the band perform before. so happy days.

#113384 by Turge
Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:39 pm
junkmonkey wrote:In Flames could take a few notes from DTB on how to release bonus DVD's,*hint hint* Come Clarity DVD claiming to be live..... :roll:

I hear ya! I bought the version with the DVD, and I found out that the DVD was just CD playback after I had paid... :P anyway, the DVD version was cheaper than the one with just the CD, so I'm not complaining. :D

#113385 by Captain Awesome
Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:56 pm
I take the DVD for what it is - a bonus disc. The performance is good enough and gives me a chance to see the DTB doing stuff I have yet had the opportunity to see in real life (4 times strapping but zero dtb :( ). I could live without the visuals but that's a minor gripe.

Do I want an ultra polished perfect (as subjective as that is) DVD? Sure, and I'll pay 20 bucks for it but for now I'm certaibnly not going to get disappointed by a free bonus DVD.

#113389 by GravityEyelids
Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 pm
I'm glad I read some of the negatives before watching the DVD because the performance turned out BETTER than I thought it would (not that I ever had low expectations). At first, the visuals were slightly annoying, but after a couple of songs, I was too immersed in the music to really give a shit. :lol: For the most part, I thought Devin's vocals were pretty damn good, especially in Life and Deadhead, which was just :shock:. The DVD gets 3 thumbs up from me.

#113402 by aedro
Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm
Im deffinately with the dissapointed crowd... Don't get me wrong Synchestra its self is awesome - I couldn't have hoped for a better lot of songs. But the dvd is another story...

Everything about the DVD had a budget feel to it - the menus, titles, special effects, camera angles etc. What happened to the live concert? I thought it was recorded and everything...

Now the studio "concert" would have more than sufficed if done well. Unfortunately, the cheap intrusive effects obscured what was happening on the screen and some of the camera angles (and the split screen angles? gah...) were just frustrating and seemed to change at the most pointless of times. In fact, the studio concert would have been awesome if it was always full screen and had no effects - the performance alone would have kept me enthralled, as sound quality and musicianship is near flawless, in my oppinion. Maybe I'll rip the audio to CD.

The extras were good for a laugh. I finally got to see Dev struggle with the waste chute and I near pissed myself laughing at the drink-flying bit! There was also some kinda cool actual live footage, though unfortunately the sounds was ether tinny as it came from a hand held videocam or had other music dubbed over it. It was also good to hear a preview of The Hummer, which has me really interested. One problem I noticed, though this could be the fault of my DVD player, was that the video would sometimes get a bit jumpy or freeze for a second or two... dunno what's going on there.

Now, I know that it is a "bonus DVD" and that it cost all of $2 but I was expecting a full-blown stand alone live concert DVD (akin to the SYL DVD). Tacking this studio concert on as a bonus instead of giving us a live DVD as was originally talked about and planned (and I know plans change, but let me rant for a second) leaves me feeling more than a little dissapointed... and I probably should just accept it and be happy that Synchestra turned out as awesome as it did, but I've been looking forward to this DVD way back since it was announced...

Bah. Humbug. :?

#113412 by Skeptic
Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:50 pm

Damn man, they charge in excess of FOURTY AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS here for that DVD/CD combo!! I got mine at JB-HIFI in the city for $AU39.95 and JB is regarded as one of the best price crashers around!!
I'm just peeved at that... one pound extra in the UK??? CMON... WTF?!

The DVD was great! I find it fun to have all the back-stage stuff, shows you insight into their lives. You can't take it seriously - its supposed to be funny!
As for the 'live' performance, it was fantastic... the band is very tight and well rehearsed... Dev's soloing on Deep Peace was absolutely spot on... in fact, my fiancee thought it was overdubbed from Terria. But I could hear the subtle differences. Its amazing they got the sound and performance so close to the records, that its THAT HARD to depict between the two sounds and environments.

Hats off to the boys for that one!

Absolutely amazing.

Damn it guys, I thought at least SYL were supposed to tour Oz in April, but they're apparently going back in the studio in March? Anyone comfirm this? We Australians are yet to see any non-SYL material live on our shores since '99 when the SYL team did the whole OM/infinity/SYL thing. (Which was my first Dev tour)...

The instore was incredible then... a free dev acoustic show - yay!!
Even though he wasn't really up to it... I remember it like it was yesterday. Anyway enough rambling...
:)