You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#111138 by Ike
Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:08 pm
yeah folx, these are some neat descriptions, but i think they're only half comlete without a sample to listen to. don't you guys wanna show us the tunes you make that way?

#111542 by HevyMinik
Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:28 pm
rgx612a wrote:
From what I've learnt with recording vocals: Compression is your friend. Double tracking and harmonies are very handy as is accentuating vocal parts. Reverb it very handy. And last but not least, a pop filter is a must have.

I'm still a newby at recording and stuff. But I learn as I go along.

You're right! You can have one more thing: EQ can be your enemy sometimes. And it's always better to cut instead of boost! :)

#111733 by Tracy
Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:42 pm
into the voigtex wrote:In general, a Producer is also responsible for getting the best performances out of all the musicians who play on the album, ie. making sure a guitar part is played cleanly, or the vocal enunciated correctly, or whatever. He may also make decisions about which songs to record, alter arrangements of songs and tinker with getting the "right" sound for the song. This may involve making choices about different combinations of guitars and amplifiers, different microphones, different drumkits, etc. The engineer is the guy who plugs everything in and makes sure everything works before the band even arrive at the studio. They are also responsible for carrying out the suggestions of the Producer when it comes to getting different sounds and whatnot. In the studio, often it's the Producer who is the "brain" and the engineers and assistants are his "hands".

The Mixer is responsible for the overall final sound of the record. Altering the volume ond/or frequency range of each instrument in relation to the other instruments can completely change the whole sound of a song. Deciding things like fading and panning sounds. Listen to the drums in Let it Roll - they are primarily in the right speaker, and not quite as loud as, say, the drums in Hypergeek. That's something that was done during mixing. Often the Producer or the band is there at the mixing stage to help oversee the process and ensure that the sound of the record stays consistent with the Producer's vision (or the band's). Sometimes though, the mixer is left to their own devices and they do what they think is best for the song, based on a brief from either the Producer, the band, or the record company (who are more often than not paying for the whole damn thing, so they usually want to be involved).

Also, go here:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/mm/

and read the Mixerman Diaries. It should give you a pretty good idea of the basic roles of a Producer, a mixer and an engineer play in the studio. Plus, it's one of the most hilarious things I've read on the net for ages. :D

Perfect answer, Ro

#111787 by gurp13
Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 pm
into the voigtex wrote:Also, go here:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/mm/

and read the Mixerman Diaries. It should give you a pretty good idea of the basic roles of a Producer, a mixer and an engineer play in the studio. Plus, it's one of the most hilarious things I've read on the net for ages. :D

I've just been reading these on ITV's suggestion. Very interesting and I recommend reading them if you're into seeing how recording gets, or doesn't get, done, depending on your persepective. :) Good suggestion, Voigtex.

#111982 by into the voigtex
Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:33 pm
If you're digging the diaries, you might even want to shell out some cash for the actual hardcover book he advertises on his website. While the diaries are excellent, unfortunately they don't contain the very ending to the story. So.... buy the book. :wink:

http://www.mixerman.net/

Good suggestion, Voigtex.

No problem. And... if you like, call me Ro. :D

#112024 by gurp13
Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:34 pm
into the voigtex wrote:If you're digging the diaries, you might even want to shell out some cash for the actual hardcover book he advertises on his website. While the diaries are excellent, unfortunately they don't contain the very ending to the story. So.... buy the book. :wink:

http://www.mixerman.net/

Good suggestion, Voigtex.

No problem. And... if you like, call me Ro. :D

Oh, crap. I didn't realize I wouldn't get to read the end. Any idea who the band is? Or the producer?

#112196 by into the voigtex
Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 pm
My brother works in a recording studio, and Mixerman happened to come in last year to produce and record an album with a well-known artist. He had a couple of copies of his book which he gave to the studio as a gift. My brother chatted to him briefly. I don't know if he likes his "true identity" being divulged or not, so I won't say.

And I'll PM you about the band.