You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#109243 by day old male
Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:57 am
Hi All,

I have a question about an instrument that can be heard during 'Let it Roll'. It kicks in at 1.23 and it is this bizarre groaning bass-like sound that comes in underneath the guitars. I love it! But I am sure I've heard it before - I believe it is the same sort of thing they used in the intro to 'Orion' on 'Master of Puppets' (Metallica, for those who somehow don't know) - though I suspect it was a bass effect that Cliff used just on his bass guitar. My suspicion is that, in 'Let it Roll', the instrument in question is a double bass that is being stroked by one of those horse-hair wands (sorry, don't know what they're called). But I don't know for sure. Does anyone know what the hell it is? I'd really love to find out - and also if it is the same thing Cliff is using in 'Orion'. Thanks dudes :)

James.
#109270 by Ali
Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:37 am
Well, it says in the booklet: "MIKE YOUNG - Bass, Tuba, Stand-up bass", so maybe it could be the Stand-up bass.

#109278 by day old male
Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:59 am
But it's such a weird sound, and I guess I just wanted to know for sure if it is in fact the stand up bass doing that part.
#109282 by Lolliklauer
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:19 am
day old male wrote:one of those horse-hair wands (sorry, don't know what they're called)

I think it´s called "bow" and i would think it´s a double (stand up) bass stroked with that, too. My brother once recorded a song with a very similar sounding stroked doublebass. Very cool sound! :-)

#109283 by Biert
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:20 am
My guess would be that it's an ordinary bass guitar with a wicked effect. It does indeed sound a hell of a lot like Orion, I noticed that straight away too.

#109302 by Aziraphale
Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am
That would be the double bass, played 'arco' style, (with bow).
It's really tactfully played/mixed, too, I love the swell on the descending line.

#109355 by Persuader
Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:24 pm
Ah, so that's what it is...my thought was a hammond organ of some kind.

#109429 by day old male
Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 pm
That would be the double bass, played 'arco' style, (with bow).
It's really tactfully played/mixed, too, I love the swell on the descending line.

Cheers! Thanks for helping me out dudes :)

James.