You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#108858 by danceswithchickens
Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:13 pm
Props to Devin for going nuts with the bass triggers throughout Synchestra (or maybe it was more Ryan's doing?). And for mixing them up, too. Plenty of ultra-low bass bombs as well as the more intense sonic booms favoured by Fear Factory, among others. It really adds an element of surprise to the music.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, listen to Synchestra on a system with an active subwoofer. You will see what I mean...

#108859 by Alucard
Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 pm
Yes, just noticed this today. I listened to Synchestra on my way to work this morning. First time I listened to it on my car stereo at the proper volume. Holy shit! My sub was working thats for sure.

#108882 by Aziraphale
Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:08 pm
sub drops = the shit.
go Dev.

#108889 by gurp13
Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:04 pm
Yeah, it's just not the same on headphones. Still good, but not the same.

#108909 by Naffis-kun
Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 am
I have pretty good headphones and I can hear it but subwoofers and stuff would still be better.
Listen to Alien, too :). It has nice bass bombs in some songs. For instance, Shine 2:03, Shitstorm 2:58

#108943 by danceswithchickens
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:50 am
Yeah, the bass bombs are all over Alien as well.

I find that there's a bit of a trade-off involved. When you have a good sub reproducing those triggers, it tends to drown out some of the finer details in the music. This is where the headphones excel. But of course with headphones, you don't get the same sensory experience.

You might also notice that when played on a crappy system, the bass triggers make the music go all quiet, because the system can't handle the sudden low-frequency surge...

#108961 by Blazingmonga
Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:05 am
I actually bought a whole new HiFi system to listen to Alien, and I am glad I did because this also has those awesome bass drops. My subwoofer kicks ass!

I do feel sorry for my neighbours though. A bit.

#108981 by Janne
Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:21 am
Must... buy... active subwoofer... NOW!

#109022 by Atari
Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 pm
I also need one.

#109031 by danceswithchickens
Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:09 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:I actually bought a whole new HiFi system to listen to Alien, and I am glad I did because this also has those awesome bass drops. My subwoofer kicks ass!

What kind of sub/system? Just curious...I love to talk audio stuff...

#109087 by hog
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:38 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:

They should thank you! hehe

#109140 by gurp13
Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:34 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:
Blazingmonga wrote:I actually bought a whole new HiFi system to listen to Alien, and I am glad I did because this also has those awesome bass drops. My subwoofer kicks ass!

I don't know that it's so fancy, but I enjoy my Onkyo home theatre system. It's 6.1 with an active sub. Sounds great to me.

#109213 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:54 am
Onkyo makes some good shit, as far as I'm aware...

#109447 by gurp13
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:Onkyo makes some good shit, as far as I'm aware...

Yeah. Mine is a kinda low-end system. It was a home theater in a box deal. But, the speakers are all encased in wood and decent size. The thing has a very nice, bright sound and music sounds fabulous on it. The model number is HTR-520. It's not fancy, really, but it sounds really good and the price was incredible. I think it was $449 at the time, which for a high quality home theater system is a steal. Of course, you can spend A LOT of money on audio equipment. But, I felt this one had the most bang for the buck.

#109536 by Blazingmonga
Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:12 am
danceswithchickens wrote:

Nothing too expensive, but it sounds awesome. I have:

Marantz SR44000 AV Amp
Eltax Monitor III Fronts
Mission M7C1i Center
Gale 3060B Bi-Polar Surrounds
Gale Storm 10 Sub
All Digital Cables

I only use my Yamaha DVD player as the CD player, and that may be what I upgrade next. I also have a rather sweet Marantz TT42 turntable and Cambridge Audio preamp.

Although I seem to have many different (mostly budget range) brands connected, they all work very well together.

Audio stuff also makes me very sweaty. If I have any money to spare, thats where it all goes.
Last edited by Blazingmonga on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.