You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#109846 by danceswithchickens
Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:47 am
I think the live-in-studio idea is fantastic. "Deadhead" sounded practically flawless, and all of Devin's solos are primo. I wasn't bothered at all by the visual effects; on the contrary, I think they might have enhanced the experience. Maybe It's just because I was stoned.

I find that when Devin plays live, there are certain things he can't pull off too well (maybe because he's focussing on guitar?). But on this DVD, there were only a few parts that he didn't nail right on. "Earth Day" was fantastic, as was "Slow Me Down". It's nice to see them play a relatively easy song for a change, where he doesn't have to strain his vocals at all. One thing I miss is the "Hallelujiah"s in "Truth", but oh well, the instrumental version kicks ass too.

Overall, I'd have to say that I like this a lot better than the SYL DVD. Live stuff can be pretty hit-or-miss in my opinion...

#109849 by theralmetallord
Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:02 am
The DVD is awesome. I just thought the soloing after Away was a tad too much for me. But hey, that's just me.

#109859 by EternalMetal
Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:22 am
danceswithchickens wrote:I find that when Devin plays live, there are certain things he can't pull off too well (maybe because he's focussing on guitar?). But on this DVD, there were only a few parts that he didn't nail right on. "Earth Day" was fantastic, as was "Slow Me Down". It's nice to see them play a relatively easy song for a change, where he doesn't have to strain his vocals at all. One thing I miss is the "Hallelujiah"s in "Truth", but oh well, the instrumental version kicks ass too.

I agree with you about the vocals. I dont know why, but e sings them differently and just doesnt nail them right. I guess it is because he is playing the guitar, but I still wish he would be right on with them.

#109864 by danceswithchickens
Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:45 am
EternalMetal wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:I find that when Devin plays live, there are certain things he can't pull off too well (maybe because he's focussing on guitar?). But on this DVD, there were only a few parts that he didn't nail right on. "Earth Day" was fantastic, as was "Slow Me Down". It's nice to see them play a relatively easy song for a change, where he doesn't have to strain his vocals at all. One thing I miss is the "Hallelujiah"s in "Truth", but oh well, the instrumental version kicks ass too.

I agree with you about the vocals. I dont know why, but e sings them differently and just doesnt nail them right. I guess it is because he is playing the guitar, but I still wish he would be right on with them.

Devin is at his best in the studio. He writes stuff that is so intense and over-the-top that reproducing it live is a huge challenge. Just watch him when he sings; it takes a lot out of him to do what he does. This is even more evident in Strapping. He has to take a lot of shortcuts, removing words and even entire verses (as he does in the song "SYL") in order to pull it off. Just the way it goes, I guess. I believe that his live vocals would be better if he didn't also have to play guitar, but he is such an exceptional guitaist that not playing isn't really an option.

As a vocalist in my own band, I can sympathize with some of Devin's live difficulties. He has to save his breath and energy for the entire set, not blow it out in one or two songs. This means that he has to make adjustments to certain parts, as he does in "Life".

#109870 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 am
I guess that's the reason Devin didn't sing the "Hallelujah" part in Truth. Listen to the official bootleg or watch the Terria bonus video and you'll notice that this vocal part seems to be one of the most difficult in a live environment for him. Personally I think it sounds cool or maybe even better without those vocal parts compared to the performances on the aforementioned live cuts. It's a sign of Devin's confidence in his compositions that he leaves out entire vocal parts and lets the music speak for itself (but as I mentioned, some more backup vocals here and there wouldn't hurt, either :P).

#110036 by HiPoCrAcY
Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:46 am
Hey all, long time no post! All i wasnt to say is i have a new found respect for Devins guitar skills after watching this dvd. Fucking mindblowing :)
*runs off to put on dvd again* :twisted:

#110153 by rudidejong
Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:01 pm
The Live DVD is great! All hail to Devin and his tight band! Thank you for releasing this. I even got a free DTB Synchestra T-shirt with it in the Dutch shops!

#110154 by Ike
Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:05 pm
...and: all hail devin's clothing style with the glasses on the edge of the nose and that oversized t-shirt :D
he really looks like a professor for music or something, lovably goofy, and such a nice contrast to the brilliance of the music. sweet. ;)
pity that beav cut his hear, though. :(

#110172 by Janne
Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:58 pm
EternalMetal wrote:

It doesn't bother me that much. Those little "misses" here and there is part of the live atmosphere and adds, rather than subtracts, from the experience as a whole.

#110205 by Biert
Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:19 pm
Janne wrote:
EternalMetal wrote:

It doesn't bother me that much. Those little "misses" here and there is part of the live atmosphere and adds, rather than subtracts, from the experience as a whole.

Exactly. That's why we want the live footage and bootlegs after all.

#115341 by :)
Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:24 am
Gfgfgfgdff, there's DTB bootlegs?

#115456 by White Mandela
Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:10 am
HiPoCrAcY wrote:Hey all, long time no post! All i wasnt to say is i have a new found respect for Devins guitar skills after watching this dvd. Fucking mindblowing :)
*runs off to put on dvd again* :twisted:

Yeeeeaaaahhhh, that sweep-picking is a thing to behold! :string:

#124757 by GuyOne
Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:16 pm
rudidejong wrote:The Live DVD is great! All hail to Devin and his tight band! Thank you for releasing this. I even got a free DTB Synchestra T-shirt with it in the Dutch shops!

Lucky fucker! I didn't get one when I bought it in Helsinki :(

#124767 by JayjayAbnormal
Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:22 pm
:) wrote:Gfgfgfgdff, there's DTB bootlegs?

I have 2 including the official bootleg. I couldve got alot more, but I didnt, and now I dont have the chance to get them again :(