You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#109440 by EphelDuath666
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 pm
I don't know...have I already posted my opinion in here? Well, it's short....best thing I've ever heard. It's exactly what I was hoping for and probably more than that.

#109444 by gurp13
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:31 pm
I am really enjoying this album. I've listened to it... holy crap! My iPod says I've listened to it 16 times already. Well, sort of. I've listened to the first four tracks 16 times. Then it starts to drop off from there. I've only listened to Sunshine and Happiness and Sunset 8 times. So... I guess you could say I've listened to it, on average, about 10 times.

I love this album. It's all I want to listen to right now. I figure it's going to be a while still until I can appreciate it. Right now, I like it better than AE and Physicist for sure. I think it's right there with Terria and Infinity. But, Ocean Machine is still my favorite. But, things are always shifting between those albums and I would be surprised if Synchestra became my favorite at some point in the near future.

I fucking love Hypergeek and Triumph. Vampira is a really fun song. But, the album really seems to shift in tone after that. Mental Tan and Gaia sort of get all serious. And then Pixillate, Judgement, and A Simple Lullaby start making me get all fucked up inside, in a good way. The coolest thing, to me, is how when A.S.L. ends and Sunset comes on it really does feel like the credits are rolling after a good fucking movie. Notes from Africa is a really cool song too. Is he saying "Salman Rushdie" or something in there? And, if so, why?!

This album is great and if you don't like it I question your manhood. Yes, I do. As should you.

:lol:

#109890 by BaldMosher446
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:50 am
Hey, hey, I finally was able to purchase Synchestra! See DTB, I lived up to my promise! I bought it! The artwork is beautiful!

#109921 by The Oid
Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:44 pm
gurp13 wrote: Is he saying "Salman Rushdie" or something in there? And, if so, why?!

Haha, I hear that too, but I assumed that since I am notoriously bad at picking up lyrics, that I was wrong. I'm glad someone else hears it though!

#109930 by EphelDuath666
Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:40 pm
The Dev wrote:Notes From Africa - Summarizes the whole damn thing. References and opposes 'Love?' from Alien, and really hammers the point of the record home, a real solid groove and a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity. Salman Rushdie. It fades out into echoes that put you in a 5 minute jungle scape after the song is over. (we went to an indoor rainforest and taped the sounds of the waterfalls and birds) By this point of the record, I just wanted people to be in a tropical paradise for a few minutes. It's warm and beautiful. Technically, the record is over

:)

#109965 by Coma Divine
Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:02 pm
BaldMosher446 wrote:Hey, hey, I finally was able to purchase Synchestra! See DTB, I lived up to my promise! I bought it! The artwork is beautiful!

http://hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/album_cat.php?cat_id=14

Post a picture...or another hamster GITS IT!! :vin:

:D

#110058 by 666between_his_horns
Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:28 am
Contrary to my previous post...Synchestra has finally grown on me and I absolutely adore this album. I've listened to it God knows how many times already.

I was at home all day on Thursday and Friday of last week and it was on repeat from about 10am until 5pm. You think that I'd know every riff and lyric by now (I nearly do!).

On Saturday I bought the DVD edition as well (happy to support Dev's music - 2 copies? Why not). The DVD is fabulous - watching songs from Terria played live in the studio is great. Watching stuff from the road is also really cool - thanks, Dev & Band for giving us this great DVD with SO much stuff on it! MORE bands need to be doing this but it would seem that few actually do. Again, thanks!

I don't own an iPod so I'm house bound with the CD (my Minidisc is on the blink...). Glad I have a nice hi fi system to appreciate the nuances of the album.

I first heard Ocean Machine and Christine in 1999/2000 - still not tired of either and listen to EVERY Dev album weekly. I believe that Synchestra will be no different.

Thanks, Dev!

Tim

#110105 by chrisslight
Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:33 am
Well, I have had it since Saturday, and I didnt go on here to post about for a few days as I wanted it all to sink in fully. What can I say? I love it, I love it more than I can actualy sum up on here, if you asked me, i'd just look overly happy and excited and just play you the album. This is possibly the greatest album I hav heard, and possibly the greatest thing to come from all the DT work, but time will tell. Currently, I love it, and its the only thing I seem to be listening to, not a single flaw with the album. And I cant be the only one who, when listening to it, geniunly gets a feeling of just, happines. As I said, words currently fail me for this album.

Thank you very much guys, you have made this mans life that bit better for your music being in it :D

#110138 by Ike
Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 am
haha, i really can't say anything different! it took a while to work with my mind, as there's so MUCH music on it, but meanwhile i understand everything, and i'm totally amazed!

THANKS DTB! i must admit that in the beginning i was a bit sceptical with the comments from the band right after recording, but now i know, I KNOW ;)

really cool work. though all previous dt/dtb recordings were axtraordinarily fantastic, this one tops it all.

i can't say any more, for words are not enough. i give you guys a big hug if i see you on the road, and i'll be mking the most stupid face ever. :P

ah, c'mon, one more thing: this is also the most spiritual thing i've ever heard. all the dt-albums feel like god was pretty close when he wrote 'em, but synchestra is even bigger in that aspect. my soul is in the safe zone now.

#110279 by 666between_his_horns
Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 am
Ike wrote:
ah, c'mon, one more thing: this is also the most spiritual thing i've ever heard. all the dt-albums feel like god was pretty close when he wrote 'em, but synchestra is even bigger in that aspect. my soul is in the safe zone now.

Another soul in a safe zone here in OZ...

8)

#110346 by sj_2150
Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:05 am
Vampolka 8)

#110388 by BaldMosher446
Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 am
Coma Divine wrote:
BaldMosher446 wrote:Hey, hey, I finally was able to purchase Synchestra! See DTB, I lived up to my promise! I bought it! The artwork is beautiful!

http://hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/album_cat.php?cat_id=14

Post a picture...or another hamster GITS IT!! :vin:

:D

I'll take a picture and post it when I get home today!

I do have one question about Synchestra, particularly Gaia: At one point in the song Devin sings some lyrics that are not in the liner notes. Something about "Natural equation...?".

Anybody got any thoughts/interpretations of this?

Or...you know... :lol:

#110465 by KevShmev
Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 pm
I just wanted to pop in and say I have had Synchestra since Friday and am loving most of it. Favorites are Triumph, Vampira, Gaia, Pixillate and Notes from Africa. I am still trying to get into Judgement, A Simple Lullaby and Sunset.

Infinity and Terria are, for the most part, deadlocked as my favorite Townsend albums, but Synchestra, given time, might give them a run for their money. :)

#110499 by ath
Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:32 pm
I've followed Dev intensly for 9 years now (we're the same age, well I'm slightly older but anyway). After a few listens through I'm not sure where his sound is heading. I don't agree with the 10 out of 10 views that are being put forward. Alien confused me as an SYL product as it was basically a revved up DTB album and a little bit tinny sounding. I do like the album however. When I want SYL I listen to City and the self titled album because they encompass the true SYL sound to me. Synchestra is so far a good listen and well produced but to me It doesn't hit me like the previous individual works do. To be honest I wasn't sure what I was expecting or wanting to hear with this album. Perhaps I've been listening to Ghost Reveries and other styles of music too much and maybe I'm moving away from the experimental wall of sound style that Devin has made his. Not sure. Who knows a few months down the track and another dozen listens it may be something more to me, but thus far out of all his great productions it doesn't sit at the top!

#110697 by Burzum
Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:22 pm
Meh, Synchestra is far better than AE just as Alien is far better than the previous SYL album.

For the record, I've only had two listens so far. A Simple Lullaby and the Africa one stand out as highlights at this stage.