Archived
#159893 by 21st Century Jesus
Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:33 am
general situation: I'm broke, unemployed, and all that.

the Ziltoid CD came out in May. I downloaded it, listened to it and digged it like all the other dev syl albums. which I have all bought CDs of.
however I decided to wait a couple months til I bought the newbie a week ago.
the amazon marketplace price for the 2cd version has gone down from say 20euro to say 12euro (approx).
now I figure that this doesnt affect devs financial income? or how is that set up? I think the price in store is independent from the amount of money the artist gets per cd. or not? just been wondering about that.

#159938 by Spaceman Spiff
Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:38 pm
Doubtful. Amazon took the hit there.

#159939 by KJ Gould
Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:01 pm
Stores like amazon tend to sell things like that at a loss, because their real bread & butter is all the chart stuff (whether it's music of film). It's known as loss-leading and is quite common as it's a way to encourage people to use them more, and buy more then one item (for example they're hoping you might buy the no1 DVD at the same time, which they will make money on).

As for how it affects Devin, it all depends on the distribution deal in place for that release.

#160480 by Burzum
Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:06 pm
I don't have a problem with downloading music, and the reasons are as follows:

Although my CD collection is my pride and joy, I'm not going to buy a CD that I don't know if I want or not. I'm referring to bands that I want to hear but don't know a lot about.

So, I often download music illegally. It means that if I don't like it, well I wasn't going to buy the CD anyway, while if I do like it I'm going to go out and buy the CD so the band is making money they wouldn't have if I wasn't able to download it in the first place. Does that make sense?

I did the same with Ziltoid while waiting for it to arrive here bin Australia, although that was a case of me not being able to wait. I was always going to buy my copy when it arrived anyway, which I promptly did.

#160497 by Biert
Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:45 am
Burzum wrote:So, I often download music illegally. It means that if I don't like it, well I wasn't going to buy the CD anyway, while if I do like it I'm going to go out and buy the CD so the band is making money they wouldn't have if I wasn't able to download it in the first place. Does that make sense?

Your reasoning doesn't hold. If you downloaded it and don't buy it (whether you like the music or not), you're depriving the artist of income. Who knows you might buy an album on impulse for one and not like it? The artist still gets his money. But now, you don't pay and you have it anyway. That's unfair.

#160507 by Burzum
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:42 am
Me downloading it is the only possible way they MIGHT get my money anyway. If I don't hear it, I'm not buying it.

#160509 by Spaceman Spiff
Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:04 pm
Burzum wrote:Me downloading it is the only possible way they MIGHT get my money anyway. If I don't hear it, I'm not buying it.

I do exactly the same thing. So a few artists don't make money from (my) blind purchases anymore. Boo-hoo. Not only does it ensure that I don't waste my hard-earned money buying something that I'll never use or enjoy, but it leaves me money to purchase music from artists that I really do enjoy and respect. I don't think there's anything unfair or wrong about that at all.
#160650 by Mr Clean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:10 am
I try to buy everything straight from the artist.. in this case I avoid buying Dev Cds from Amazon or Ebay or any place other than the HevyDevy web page...

I do this expecting that my money goes straight to the artist... does that really happen in this case? I mean... is that better than buying on amazon?

If so... more bands should do the same... I would buy their records gladly... :)

#162396 by StopCuttingMyArmsOff
Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:06 pm
Yea, unfortunately this is one of the biggest gray areas of the web. But, I will agree with the post above about downloading to sample the goods, and then buy the CD if I like what I hear. Come on, you can't stare at a CD and pretend to know what it sounds like.

Maybe this is why some places have those headphone stations where you can scan the CD to hear a preview of it, but I'd rather NOT go all the way out to the store to preview music, when I can do it on the 'puter at home.

Services such as iTunes are trying to iron this whole thing out, and I guess it's working. Me? I don't have an iTunes account, and I don't plan on it any time soon.

If there's anything Myspace is good for, it's promoting music. If I find a band that sounds cool, I'll make a note of them, then keep an eye out the next time I go CD shopping (which is rare, actually.)

So I would say, downloading Ziltoid isn't really an INSULT per se, at least you enjoy the tunes. But maybe one day you can scrounge up some change and get the CD, maybe even the Enhanced Edition, to improve on your Devy collection!