Archived

#143893 by Falk
Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:56 pm
And that's something Rammstein can afford, but surely not every artist xD

#143894 by Leechmaster
Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:23 pm
Meshuggah evidently did something similar with Catch 33..

Tommy Udo in Metal Hammer; Issue 138 (April 2005) wrote:Driven to a former American Army hospital in rural Germany, Hammer - along with the cream of the european metal press - are made to wear Meshuggah-branded straitjackets as we listen to said album, while the band dress in doctor's coats and serve us drinks. It makes sense, you see, because Meshuggah is Yiddish for 'Crazy'. Oh, how we love that famously literal German sense of humour...
Last edited by Leechmaster on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

#143901 by Atari
Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:48 pm
Falk wrote:And that's something Rammstein can afford, but surely not every artist xD

not smaller, self-releasing bands, sure. Century Media could've done it for The New Black, bigger labels (those with offices in several countries; CM, I know have at least 8 ) could do it for their artists...Maybe not a huge lavish press event, but if mags, websites, etc want to hear an album before release, why not have them pootle along to the label? Hell it's in a label's best interests to prevent leakage, isn't it?

Isn't it?

#143921 by JuZ
Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 am
Atari wrote:
Falk wrote:And that's something Rammstein can afford, but surely not every artist xD

not smaller, self-releasing bands, sure. Century Media could've done it for The New Black, bigger labels (those with offices in several countries; CM, I know have at least 8 ) could do it for their artists...Maybe not a huge lavish press event, but if mags, websites, etc want to hear an album before release, why not have them pootle along to the label? Hell it's in a label's best interests to prevent leakage, isn't it?

Isn't it?

You'd think so, given the legal action, arglebargle and fooferah they go through to try and protect their "property". I'm not privy to the inner workings of music mags (gave up journalism long before I got there!), so I may have been off-base.

Oh, and I've got a cream you can borrow if you're worried about leakage. It'll clear it right up. :P

#143933 by Biert
Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:15 am
What's the point in putting a lot of effort in making the album not leak? Once it's released, it'll be out there for anyone to grab it for free anyway.

I know that for the artist it can be really annoying to see your piece of art widespread before the release, but I don't see any advantage for the labels (read: money) in preventing leaks, and we all know that most labels don't give a rats ass about their artists.

#143953 by Noodles
Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm
Leechmaster wrote:Meshuggah evidently did something similar with Catch 33..

Tommy Udo in Metal Hammer; Issue 138 (April 2005) wrote:Driven to a former American Army hospital in rural Germany, Hammer - along with the cream of the european metal press - are made to wear Meshuggah-branded straitjackets as we listen to said album, while the band dress in doctor's coats and serve us drinks. It makes sense, you see, because Meshuggah is Yiddish for 'Crazy'. Oh, how we love that famously literal German sense of humour...

That would be the coolest way to first hear an album. Especially that one.

What's the point in putting a lot of effort in making the album not leak? Once it's released, it'll be out there for anyone to grab it for free anyway.

I think because for a while the only way to hear the album is via the free leak, so people that would normally just buy the album are tempted to just go for the download because it's the only way to get it for about a month.

#144008 by JayjayAbnormal
Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 am
I'm pretty sure the new Nine Inch Nails album can only be listened to by press at the listening party's around the US. Considering theres a few professional reviews that only surfaced online after the first few listening party's. So that might be another album that won't leak until the release date. Mind you, it's still another 20-something days until April 17th

...or I'm saying that to jinx my thoughts so it will actually leak