The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#102849 by V3lvetpresley
Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 pm
So, any massive Wildhearts fans on here?

We gotta get Dev and the Ginger one together. HAVE TO. Let's club together, kidnap them both and lock them in a room for three Months.

Look at how Christeen turned out when Dev allegedly was *inspired* by Ginger.

Anyone heard the Wildhearts Reading '94 appearance? You can really, really make Devy out on the backing vox, especially to Caffiene bomb.

#109410 by Slainte Mhath
Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 pm
Yeah, big fan of Ginger/the Wildhearts here (got every album/single bar the original release of Mondo-Akimbo and Don't Worry...), though I'm starting to form the opinion that he's past his best.

Would still love to hear what the two of them would come up with should they collaborate though :)

#109473 by V3lvetpresley
Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:23 pm
Slainte Mhath wrote:Yeah, big fan of Ginger/the Wildhearts here (got every album/single bar the original release of Mondo-Akimbo and Don't Worry...), though I'm starting to form the opinion that he's past his best.

I would agree with that, in part. You're referring to Valor Del Corazon, yes? It's an interesting listen, but I really think Ginger should bring back SG5 as a going concern. That said, apparently the 'Ginger and the Sonic Circus' gig in London t'other day was insanely good.

Slainte Mhath wrote:Would still love to hear what the two of them would come up with should they collaborate though :)

I'd imagine the world would actually implode.

'Kill Me To Death' with Dev's backing vox is incredible.

#109497 by jon
Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:13 am
the reading gig is pretty good. i recently got a cassette player again and dug out all my old tapes including the '94 gig.
some of its dodgy as f**k, but great to listen to none the less! :D

#109611 by Slainte Mhath
Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 pm
V3lvetpresley wrote:
Slainte Mhath wrote:Yeah, big fan of Ginger/the Wildhearts here (got every album/single bar the original release of Mondo-Akimbo and Don't Worry...), though I'm starting to form the opinion that he's past his best.

I would agree with that, in part. You're referring to Valor Del Corazon, yes? It's an interesting listen, but I really think Ginger should bring back SG5 as a going concern. That said, apparently the 'Ginger and the Sonic Circus' gig in London t'other day was insanely good.

And the aborted singles club and TWMBD (the B-sides were much better on the whole), though Top Of The World I regard as one of his best songs. Valor's got its moments and it's not a bad record, but overall it really doesn't do a great deal for me...

The SG5 record was the last release of Ginger's that really made me tingle and Walk Like A Motherf*cker, Last Bastard and More Is The Law had me really wanting more! :shock:

#109692 by Cav
Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:46 am
Granted, I haven't heard all of 'Valor' yet (Got it on order), but I've absolutely loved the songs I've heard so far. I actually think it's some of his strongest solo stuff yet, though horses for courses and all that. And I do hope he'll resume SG5 for at least one more album.

I agree that it's high time that he & Dev collaborated on an album. I find it odd that after all these years they've only produced two songs (If you can count "Christeen' as a true collaboration; but you're right Velv, 'Kill Me to Death' is fucking great!). Surely it's a match made in heaven!

#109820 by Very_Metal
Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:24 am
Wildhearts are awesome.
i really liked Endless Nameless with all the white noise and distortion on it, but Earth vs. is still the daddy for total greatness all the way through.

they're one of the few bands i make damn sure i catch anytime they tour.

#163382 by spoon_of_grimbo
Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:47 pm
saw the wildhearts live in wolverhampton the other night, was an amazing gig, they even played some endless nameless-era tracks (nurse maximum, urge, and zomboid!!!), it was a helluva gig!

and ginger's solo stuff is all top notch - valor especially IMO, and from what i've heard, the new one ("market harbour") is going to be pretty impressive.

#163501 by cjb
Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:35 pm
The new Wildhearts album is the best thing they have released since PHUQ.

Gingers solo stuff is good, but I can see why your average metal/hard rock fan wouldnt appreciate some of it..........

#163508 by ghaleon0075
Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:54 pm
I only have Endless Nameless, but I really like it a lot. Heroin in incredible.

Re:

#169019 by Synchestrated Triumph
Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:22 pm
V3lvetpresley wrote:

Slainte Mhath wrote:Would still love to hear what the two of them would come up with should they collaborate though :)

I'd imagine the world would actually implode.

'Kill Me To Death' with Dev's backing vox is incredible.

and it will cause them to sleep with your girlfriend. haha not really though. I just remember a john petrucci video on youtube that had that line. funny as hell. the secret tape.
#172588 by Deth Warmdover
Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:14 pm
I can't believe I've waited this long to seriously listen to Ginger and co.
I had a false start by hearing one or two weak tracks that sounded too commercial to me so I drifted away. Didn't make sense why Devin liked these guys even after moving on.Now I know.
Every album I've checked out is better than the last.
Gingers solo stuff is really creative and varied. No wonder Devy alway has spoke highly of these guys :guitar:
I'm checking out Yoni right now and I'm just charmed.
My favorite so far of WH is Don't be Happy Just Worry, but I'm just really starting to dig in. Lots of great material
I guess for alot of you old school Devy fans this s*** is old hat but I'm glad I checked them out further.
I wouldn't quite say they'll be my favorite of all time or anything but a nice suprise just the same
#173356 by Deth Warmdover
Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:26 pm
Still enjoying Ginger and Co.
I hoped for afew more fans to 'gush' with,but I think they're all gone...gone ...gonegoneong0nonoonn......
Wildhearts rule
#174463 by Snorkle
Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:01 am
MASSIVE FAN!!!! I want Dev and Ginger to form the band that will ultimately save the universe!!!! I've been listening to The Wildhearts since 92, and Devin since City came out... Can't even describe how much i luv em! :D