We tried metal but it didn't work, so let us in on the punk rock dough!

#128174 by Goat
Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 am
danceswithchickens wrote:
Goat wrote:Canadian geniuses, what can one say.

Actually, Watterson is a Yank, if that's who you were referring to...

What?
*checks*
Oh. Must be the C&H landscapes and constant snow that made me think "of course: Canada."

#128224 by the-fluke
Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:08 am
Goat wrote:

What?
*checks*
Oh. Must be the C&H landscapes and constant snow that made me think "of course: Canada."

The Spaceman Spiff landscapes are based on Arizona, I think. Is that right?

#128269 by danceswithchickens
Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:58 am
Goat wrote:

What?
*checks*

An honest mistake :)

#128290 by junkmonkey
Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Calvin and Hobbes!!!!!.....Stupendous Man is awesome

#128304 by Goat
Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 am
"I call it 'The torment of existence weighed against the horror of non-being.'" :lol:

"What a rotten day. I wish I was dead. ... No! I wish everyone else was dead." :D

I find Calvin's and Devin's approach to the world very related.

'Give me a snow day and leave me alone so I can do what I want.'

'You want me to do this and you don't want me to do that? Well, guess which one I'll do and which one I won't.'

Hehe.

#128427 by Eyesore
Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:29 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:Bill Watterson is a genius, as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed. It pains me to know that this is the reason he quit doing Calvin & Hobbes:

#128524 by danceswithchickens
Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:46 pm
Eyesore wrote:

Indeed. It pains me to know that this is the reason he quit doing Calvin & Hobbes:

Is that really the reason? If so, that fucking sucks! But I can hardly blame him. Those stupid "Calvin pissing on something" stickers are everywhere, and they don't exactly reflect well on his strip. I mean, how many times did Calvin get in trouble for peeing on stuff? None that I can recall, anyway...

#128659 by Eyesore
Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:55 pm
Eyesore wrote:

Is that really the reason? If so, that fucking sucks! But I can hardly blame him. Those stupid "Calvin pissing on something" stickers are everywhere, and they don't exactly reflect well on his strip. I mean, how many times did Calvin get in trouble for peeing on stuff? None that I can recall, anyway...

Pretty much. That was just just the blatant example he used, but it was more or less him wanting to quit with his integrity, and his comic's integrity, intact. Too many people trying to capitalize on its popularity.

#128671 by danceswithchickens
Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:43 am
I know he was a big opponent of licensed product and merchandising, at least as far as his strip was concerned. You don't find many artists who have that sort of integrity...

#136719 by DevonH
Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:20 pm
Calvin and Hobbes rules...I've read just about every C&H book by Watterson

#136726 by Goat
Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:54 pm
Word.

#136738 by junkmonkey
Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:57 am
there's this complete collection with 3 huge books that have all the comics in'em,i've already got'em all but it'd be cool to have.....if only it weren't $150 :(

#136739 by djskrimp
Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:00 am
Eyesore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Pretty much. That was just just the blatant example he used, but it was more or less him wanting to quit with his integrity, and his comic's integrity, intact. Too many people trying to capitalize on its popularity.

I despise that C&H was used in religious context:

I understand who the two men from whom C&H derived the name, but the overt message used I don't think was ever intended by Mr. Watterson, particularly in context of what was said in the strips.

#136790 by danceswithchickens
Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:50 pm
That is quite silly. I've never seen Calvin pray in any of the comics, except perhaps when he's done something really stupid and is afraid his dad will kill him. He's way too pragmatic to be religious anyway....