The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#141143 by the toilet
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:46 am
Ryan,

which project did/do you prefer on the whole? Were you happier with the end result of one more than the other?

Or are they both spot on in your eyes?

cheers.

ps sorry if this has been brought up before, i've not browsed past topics.
#141194 by Drumdude13
Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:32 pm
the toilet wrote:Ryan,

which project did/do you prefer on the whole? Were you happier with the end result of one more than the other?

Or are they both spot on in your eyes?

cheers.

ps sorry if this has been brought up before, i've not browsed past topics.

Good Question....

I'm definitely more proud of Synchestra. I just think that Synchestra is one of the best things, if the not the best album Dev has EVER released. I love all the tunes and the journey that Synchestra brings you on. I also love the drumming a lot more on Synchestra. Dev let me spread my wings a lot more on Synchestra and we worked closer together on this album. AE was kind of like a test to see how the DTB would work. Dev realized that the DTB worked well and when Synchestra hit, things evolved so easily for everyone and my drumming came out very naturally in the way I like to drum. I really felt comfortable on Synchestra and I think you can hear that.

On Accelerated Evolution a lot of the drum parts were pretty thought out by Devin before we recorded. He wanted a basic, straight up Rock album done Devy style and thats what we accomplished. I still added my style to it in fills and groove but it was a pretty straight forward recording. I'm very proud of that album, it shows a side of me that can lay it down and groove out, but it didn't show the kind of drummer that I truly am.

Synchestra on the other hand was a very versatile album for drumming and song writing. I came up with pretty much everything for the drums through jamming all the stuff with Dev right from the start. Dev would give me an idea where he would want kick and snare and I would make up the beats and fills as we jammed the stuff out. Once we heard something cool, Dev would say it and the part would be written ! The albums pretty versatile for drumming too, I do blast beats, crazy double kick stuff, jazzier stuff, more groove, interesting Cymbal stuff (my personal fave :lol: ) and a lot more. I feel Synchestra showcases more of what I'm really about as a drummer and shows my style as a drummer too. Equally important, I find Synchestra is a better album song wise as well. I think Dev broke boundaries musically and personally on that album. I truly think it's a brilliant record, it's like a hybrid of everything he's done in his career and to be a part of that is special to me.

So in the end, Synchestra, hands down, is the fave for me over Accelerated Evolution. I think it's my fave Dev album with OM being a close second if not tied with Synchestra. I love both AE and Synchestra for different reasons but overall I think Synchestra has way more to offer in the drumming department, song writing, singing and just the overall creativity part of it.

Hope that answered your question... I'm sure it did, cuz it's another encyclopedia answer :lol:

All the best,

RVP

#141205 by the toilet
Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:49 pm
Excellent read thanks Ryan.

I must be clairvoyant, because i thought you would answer like that. :wink:

I personally prefer Synchestra over AE for those same reasons, the songs are better, your playing is more versatile, etc etc etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this in so much depth.

:D