The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#70200 by Drumdude13
Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:57 am
So, for my solo album, I want to videotape the whole process of me recording the album with all the special guest's, engineers and tech's who are going to be involved. Kinda' like a documentary on the making of the album, right from writing music in my livingroom to the final vocal track's being layed down and mixing. I've had this idea since last summer when I announced the solo album. Dave Young (playing all rhythm guitars on the album) thought it was a cool idea when I told him.... The guy's in Europe and the USA who are guesting, but cannot fly into Vancouver, will tape themselves recording their tracks and send it to me for footage...

The idea I have is'nt to release a DVD, cuz I can't afford this, but to make it a cd-rom on the actual CD you buy ! My question is....do you all check out cd-rom featured disc's when you buy them ? To be honest, I don't check out cd-rom's most of the time :lol: This is why I'm asking you all. If there is'nt a ton of interest in this, then I may just put various clips up on my website. I'm going to videtape the making of the album regardless, just wanted your opinion's on including the video footage on the released CD. Let me know what you think....

Thanks,

#70202 by Stonegaze
Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:33 am
Idea's great. If there's any kind of mentioning about included cd-rom material in the booklet or somewhere, most people notice it - if not immediately, then usually some time after buying the cd, as I do when having enough time to look at booklet.

And I think there's lots of us who'd love to see that material. :)

#70205 by Olive?
Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:59 am
Stonegaze wrote:And I think there's lots of us who'd love to see that material. :)

GREAT IDEA RYAN!!!

PLEASE, DO IT!!!

I LOVE CDs extras and I love much more "makings of"!!

It would be sooooooo interesting!!!

If I had a tail, I'd be wagging it now!!!

#70207 by EphelDuath666
Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:08 pm
yeah, very good idea indeed! I always check the CD-ROM stuff because I´m a curious lil bastard :D

#70225 by Guest
Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:46 pm
yes very good idea,

please include the speedo sessions :twisted:

#70251 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:44 pm
I normally don't check the ROM parts...as there are too many and I'm too lazy...lol...but I promise that I would check it out with your CD. So....DO IT OF COURSE :D

awesome idea

#70262 by Coma Divine
Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:43 am
Any CD I have that has a ROM component definitely gets checked out. :D
So yeah, good idea! You can wave "hello" to all us Forum geeks. 8)

And like Geoff said: Speedo sessions are vital! No Speedo on mine, and me gonna hijack me a 747 and go over to get my money back! :twisted:

(oh, for my friends in the "Company" who might read the "hijack" part and flag it...just kidding fellas!)
:wink:

#70266 by mo
Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:02 am
Hey its not hard to do Ryan, DVD that is. It would be a touch more but it can so easily be done.

I think it would an awesome idea, even if its a supplementary CD or even both DATA/Audio CD.

Go for it!!

#70279 by Catatonik
Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:59 am
Damn straight I'll watch it :)

#70296 by Blazingmonga
Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:19 am
I think its a great idea!

For example I think that the multimedia bits on Physicist, or the extra disc of Terria are really worth getting into. Something like this would be awesome! I totally dig extra features.

Would be very cool to see or hear something from the other side...

#70338 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:02 am
Great idea!!! It's great not only to have a CD with cool music on, but to also see the making of it all.

#70387 by Drumdude13
Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:14 pm
Coma Divine wrote:Any CD I have that has a ROM component definitely gets checked out. :D
So yeah, good idea! You can wave "hello" to all us Forum geeks. 8)

Yeah, great idea...I will definitely mention everyone on the HDR Forums in this documentary ! You fans are so damn loyal, respectful and just plain fuckin' cool 8) Of course I'll give a shout out to all you wicked people !

Thanks so much for the response's everyone. I'll definitley be making a CD-ROM and Mo.... I'll look into the DVD end of it. It would be really cool to do a DVD but it has to fit into my budget. I'm paying for everything and it's going to cost me quite a bit of money just to record, mix and master this fucker !!! A DVD would be best (very universal)....I'll keep ya'll updated when I figure out what I'm gonna do, CD-ROM or DVD.

Thanks again for the opinion's, it's much appreciated :)

#70405 by Catatonik
Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:15 pm
It's the internet Ryan, there are ALWAYS opinions :P

But this Forum just has a higher than average ration of intelligence to moronicy. :)

Devy fans rule...and RVP fans ;)

#70769 by Drumdude13
Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:03 am
Cool,

Thanks for all the responses everyone. The filming has already begun ! I have it all mapped out. Basically, I'll have stuff recorded right from my Livingroom when I'm writing the song's from scratch to rehearsing the song's with different artist's to the recording of the song's in the studio to mixing and completing the album.

I'm going to try to make it about 20-30 min's long. Not too short not too long. There is so much to show when making a documentary on the process of creating an album, you could easily make it an hour long with interviews and a whole bunch of shit !. Plus having all these cool guest's, I'll want to make sure that they are all shown recording their parts and saying a few words about the project themselves. I have so many ideas right now, just gotta' pick the coolest ones, use 'em and compress them into a cool 20-30 min "Making of" video. I'm pretty excited about this and the CD itself as well. I'm going to have a very busy year with the new DTB being recorded, my solo album and all my session work but it will be a great year for releasing some very cool music !

Thanks again for all your responses, it's much appreciated !

#70811 by LouiLoomis
Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 pm
Sounds great, Ryan. I was gonna suggest that you did filming of this project as I'm so curious as to how the whole writing process and collabs work. Is Trevor Dunn recording in Vancouver or is he stopping in New York? I'm REALLY looking forward to this CD now!