The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

#68749 by LouiLoomis
Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:41 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:When I bought the DM5 I actually asked Gene what setting he used cuz Devin really dug that setting. When we did the "Keep it in the Family Tour" it was easy for us drummers cuz we used the same pre-sets for each band, there were 3 DM5's on tour. So we used Gene's and had mine and Steve's (Zimmers Hole) as back-ups.

For Gene's recording's I don't know if they use the Alesis at all. I'm guessing they did'nt cuz there are way better samples out there then the Alesis DM5 samples for studio use. Actually....you got me interested now...I'm going to ask Gene the next time I see him. I drum teched the "Alien" album for Gene. I did tune his Bass drums. So I think they used 50% real kick drum sound and 50% sample layered underneath. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's how it worked.

Thanks Ryan! I'm sorry about all the 'techie' questions but studio production and sound creation/manipulation are my main things so I really appreciate your replies. :realscott: Just one more question (I sound like Columbo), do you know what mics your kit was recorded with for AE? I'm trying to expand my studio to cater for drumkit recording, but there's so many drum mics on the market now its a little daunting as where to start.

Cheers

*EDIT*

I just got a reply off Gene regarding the triggers thing and he said that he picked up a DM-Pro last year so he could load up his own samples but never got around to it. But his guy Seely is setting it up so that he can take his 'ALIEN' kick sound on tour with him. Just thought you might be intrested. :)

#68816 by Velvet
Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:50 am
I agree... 8)

I'm not a drummer, I play keyboards and sing, but I tried to play acoustic drum and then triggered one and I found (but even my drummer says it) that you've to be really more precise on triggered drum because it has no dynamics, so every mistake is loud as every other beat. It's also true that you can play really faster with triggered bass (you can play it also with your fingers...) Definitely I L-O-V-E triggers!!!! You just can't play jazz with them... :D :D

#68828 by Drumdude13
Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:42 am
LouiLoomis wrote:I just got a reply off Gene regarding the triggers thing and he said that he picked up a DM-Pro last year so he could load up his own samples but never got around to it. But his guy Seely is setting it up so that he can take his 'ALIEN' kick sound on tour with him. Just thought you might be intrested. :)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that he has a DM-Pro.... I knew that ! He keeps the DM5 so he can watch the "blip" everytime he hits his kicks. I think the preset we both use is "Speed Metal" on the DM5 and his DM - Pro. Seely is rad....he was my tech on a couple tours and some local gig's as well. Seely set up my DM5 for me, he's a wicked guy to have on tour with ya'.

Well, cool, now your questions are finally answered ! 8)

#68863 by LouiLoomis
Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:12 am
Drumdude13 wrote:Yeah, I forgot to mention that he has a DM-Pro.... I knew that ! He keeps the DM5 so he can watch the "blip" everytime he hits his kicks. I think the preset we both use is "Speed Metal" on the DM5 and his DM - Pro. Seely is rad....he was my tech on a couple tours and some local gig's as well. Seely set up my DM5 for me, he's a wicked guy to have on tour with ya'.

Well, cool, now your questions are finally answered ! 8)

Thanks again, man!

#68876 by EternalMetal
Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:13 am
little off topic, but not really, did Gene use triggers on Death - Symbolic?

#68881 by Olive?
Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:24 am
I think that Symbolic has triggered drums, but why don't you ask that directly to Gene?

Go on the SYL Forum and ask him!! :wink:

http://strappingyounglad.com/syl_board/ ... ac0599b23a

#68914 by EternalMetal
Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:23 pm
Olive? wrote:I think that Symbolic has triggered drums, but why don't you ask that directly to Gene?

Go on the SYL Forum and ask him!! :wink:

http://strappingyounglad.com/syl_board/ ... ac0599b23a

thanks for the link, conveniently enough their is already a thread about drum triggers, so i just asked it in their. Kinda curious about that, as i am about all music i listen to. Im gonna throw on the cd right now and listen to it, but usually triggered drums and regular drums are indistinguishable on the album after all of the mastering and shit they do to it to better the sound. Ill try and see if i can listen for them, but when done well, it is near impossible to tell.