The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

#78889 by Drumdude13
Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:43 am
geoff wrote:The problem is that Viv wanted to play keyboards naked when I was here and I refused ... I smelled a trap ... And his feet also :twisted:

Those damn, crazy French Keyboard players. They always think they can smooth over anything that moves when they start tickling the Ivory ! :lol:

#79193 by TinyTears007
Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:05 pm
I placed my order for Oniric Metal today. I'm so looking forward to hearing the whole thing, from a to z :D I'll be sure to pay close attention to all the drum parts!

#79396 by Drumdude13
Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:11 am
TinyTears007 wrote:I placed my order for Oniric Metal today. I'm so looking forward to hearing the whole thing, from a to z :D I'll be sure to pay close attention to all the drum parts!

Cool bro....I really hope you enjoy the album and the drumming. Let us know what you think when you hear it....pretty cool stuff IMO. Yesterday Man, Night in Poenari and Potboy are the highlites for me. Have fun....

RVP

#81901 by TinyTears007
Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:39 pm
Oniric Metal arrived yesterday! After four listens I am ready to give you my review, so here it is. (Also posted on the RVP drums message boards)

Vivien Lalu is as far as I can tell is a rather debonair and long haired French keyboardist who has assembled a rather killer lineup for his debut solo album under the name Lalu - Oniric Metal. First of all, go place your order for this album right now and then read the rest of this because quite simply, its awesome.
The first thing that's noticeable is the production of the album. It is absolutely immense! The guitars are like a wall, the drums are perfectly aggressive and pounding and the keyboards are prominent, as you would expect with Lalu himself fronting that instrument. The second thing that's noticeable as you potter on through the cd is that yes, these songs are killer!

Yesterdayman is the song that convinced me to buy this album after I downloaded it from the website and to put it simply, its the perfect opener for the album. A crunching intro followed by a more soft part which introduces vocalist Martin LeMar who has an excellent fitting voice for the music on this album. Some cool soloing and a powerful chorus, with some great keyboard undertones makes this one a winner right off the bat. Wolven Eyes follows in much the same vein with the heavy with soft parts progressive style approach. Lalu can really write songs!

The first ballad is Windy and apart from some rather dodgy lyrics its a good soft song, serving as a welcome interlude between the heavy songs Wolven eyes and the upcoming Night in Poenari. Track 4, Night in Poenari is one of Ryan's favourites and its easy to see why. Lalu credits Symphony X in the liner notes for the influence and this song is where its most prevalent. Crunching power metal-esque riffery with some killer choirs and aggressive singing by LeMar.

The hits keep on rollin with Moonstruck and Timestop, the latter being the first prog style epic song (10 minutes or so) on the album, and it manages to maintain interest throughout with a slightly more progressive and less heavy approach throughout. Watch for the great solo around the 4 minute mark.

The album is concluded with an 18 minute epic 'Potboy: The Final fantasy' incidentally named after the greatest video game series of all time :D You know, long have I asked for a band to write a song about Pot smoking aliens whose spaceship runs on weed crash landing on earth and being hunted by the FBI. Now finally my wish has been answered! In all seriousness this is a great great song and I'm a sucker for epics. It definitely reminds me of top tier prog metal acts like Dream Theater, Symphony X and Fates Warning mixed with the heavy edge of Devin Townsend. Perfect way to end the album and round off an awe inspiring debut from Lalu.

I give it 4.5/5, solely because to be a 5 it has to be absolutely perfect. But the flaws are minor; only including Martin LeMar's bizarre fascination with someone named Windy (my theory on this would definitely be that 'Windy' is his nickname for Ryan and he is professing his undying love for ole RVP). Speaking of RVP this album is worth the money for his drumming alone. Absolutely flawless display from Ryan and all the instrumentalists involved. If you havent already, go out and buy it now you peons!! :lol: :lol:

#81904 by Drumdude13
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 pm
:shock:

Thanks for the kind words bro......

I'm glad you dig the album. I'm like you....a huge fan of the song's on this album ! Vivien is a great song writer and man did he ever prove it on this record.

Thanks again for the generous review and I hope you get many more, enjoyable, listens out of this album ! Enjoy....

All the best,

RVP.

#81927 by TinyTears007
Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:52 pm
Oh your welcome Ryan, it's us who should be thanking you and Viv and the gang for bringing us such kick ass music!

Speaking of Viv, until I read through the topic again I didnt know he was a member of these boards. Wow, another musical star here! This must be the best boards ever for raw musical talent :D

And dont be so modest Vivien, I have yet to read a negative review of your album and if you keep it up you definitely have the talent to be as highly regarded as Dream Theater and Symphony X. You said in the liner notes you wish your music was half the quality of theirs, well you dont have to wish its right up there!

Keep rockin! :)

#81935 by Drumdude13
Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:10 pm
TinyTears007 wrote:
Speaking of Viv, until I read through the topic again I didnt know he was a member of these boards. Wow, another musical star here! This must be the best boards ever for raw musical talent :D

And dont be so modest Vivien, I have yet to read a negative review of your album and if you keep it up you definitely have the talent to be as highly regarded as Dream Theater and Symphony X. You said in the liner notes you wish your music was half the quality of theirs, well you dont have to wish its right up there!

Keep rockin! :)

Could'nt agree with you more about Viv bro...he is very talented and it was an honour recording the drums on this album for him ! Wait for the next one....it's gonna' be good.... :wink: