Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#144220 by JuZ
Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 pm
I wonder if anyone more tech-savvy than I (read "anyone", basically) could help me out. :?

I seem to have a nasty virus on my PC that my existing antivirus software hasn't eradicated. Firefox has become highly unstable, my taskbar keeps disappearing and XP is generally running very slowly, if at all.

I've switched to AVG Free Edition and it's found a worm, so hopefully killing that will be the end of my problems. But if not, does anyone have any recommendations for free antiviral software I could try?

Thanks in advance. :)

#144229 by JuZ
Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Thanks mate.

Luckily AVG does appear to be the shit... it killed the worm and that seems to have been the source of the problems I was having. Hooray!

(The worm was associated with an Ubisoft game, downloaded from Fileplanet. It was a free version of Shadowbane. I'll therefore be boycotting Fileplanet and Ubisoft for some time)

#144254 by Biert
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:49 am
Symantec (They make the Norton AntiVirus software) have a free online virusscanner here in case of emergeancy. Windows XP/Vista and Internet Explorer 6/7 required.

#144272 by JuZ
Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:45 am
Thanks Biert.

#144277 by Biert
Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:45 am
On a slightly related note, there's a bundle of software called Google Pack, which now contains anti-spyware and virus-detection software. Might be interesting for those who could do with a bunch of useful applications:

Google Pack consists of:

- Firefox with Google Toolbar (kick-ass internet-browser)
- Norton Security Scan (detects malware, but can't delete it)
- Spyware Doctor (prevents spyware)
- Adobe Reader (PDF reader)
- Google Desktop (search and info-utility)
- Google Earth (earth browser)
- Google Photo Screensaver (screensaver)
- Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
- Picasa (picture organizer)
- Skype (internet-telephony) - optional
- RealPlayer (multimedia player and total crap IMO) - optional
- Google Talk (instant messaging for Gmail users) - optional
- GalleryPlayer (high-res images) - optional
- Google Video Player (play videos from Google Video)

http://pack.google.com/

#144354 by Goat
Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:03 pm
Don't ignore Ubisoft. FarCry rules.

#144359 by JuZ
Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 pm
I might be interested in their stuff in the future if they guarantee not to screw up my computer!