Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#326266 by fragility
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 pm
So to cut a very long story short, I’ve been through, and still going through some pretty horrific experiences the past couple of years which have changed me. One of those changes has been getting really detached from a lot of music I’ve always loved.

So...what bands have you got into in the last couple of years, either new bands, or new to you?
#326268 by EphelDuath666
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm
well, you're old enough to remember that I got into The Dear Hunter...I know you enjoy them too. Hmmm….haven't really discovered too much new stuff recently. Well, a few things I checked out and really like were:

Sulphur Aeon....they're a German Black/Death Metal band. There aren't too many German Metal bands I like so that was a nice surprise. Not sure that's your type of music though.

Uada...they're an American Black Metal band and I really like their stuff too. Probably one of the best BM I have heard in recent years.

Mantar...German Sludge/Crust band. Another German band. Well, glad there are a few good ones out there.

I also dig Rivers of Nihil. They are a...hmm...proggy tech-death metal band? Something like that. Good stuff.

You probably know Caligula's Horse. But if you don't you should check them out. I think they're right up your alley
#326270 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:55 am
I suppose the only significant discovery for me recently would be Oceans of Slumber, granted that was back in late 2016. They're a Texan band with a progressive doom sound, female-led vocals (and occasional growling male ones) and a direction that is familiar yet distinct. What grabs me is not only the excellent music they produce, but their last two albums have also resonated with me on a personal, relatable level. No wonder those same albums have been in my top 10 for their respective years.

With that said, another band I discovered late last year is Ultha, an atmospheric black metal band from Germany which hits all the right melancholic, nihilistic chords (pun slightly intended). I also knew nothing of them but the album I bought featured the slogan "You exist for nothing", and I couldn't resist buying it blind. A good choice, as it ended up getting repeat listens and curiosity for their other works.

Beyond that, I've either only paid attention to groups I like, and even then have been dismissive with some, or look up ambient/instrumental music on YouTube to suit whatever my mood happens to be.
#326272 by EphelDuath666
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:20 am
Yes! Forgot about Oceans of Slumber. They are great too. Love the female vocals. Wish there were more bands like that with female vox.

Don't know Ultha. Germans, you say? Gonna have to check them out.

Another band I recently discovered is Toundra. Spanish Post Rock band. Not re-inventing the wheel but good anyways.

Oh and Four Seconds Ago. Sort of a mix of retro 80's electronic sounds and Prog. Think it's 2 guys from Periphery. Something like that.