I'm gonna melt you guys!
#235691 by mrbean667
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:01 am
And record my hopefully chaotic dreams. Don't ask why. Because I don't know.

I remember reading other people's experiences regarding this album, and was wondering if anyone else had tried something similar.

See you in an hour!
#235697 by fizzicist
Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:31 am
I've fallen asleep on a Sunday afternoon listening to The Hummer, not by intention, just a lazy sunday afternoon of working all week and all of Saturday. It really was a soothing experience falling asleep to it. I fell asleep sometime midway through The Abacus. I compared the 80's terminator/phaser/widening through most of Equation to my rough week at work.

The piano ditty at the end of Equation and start of The Abacus really pulled my frame of mind into relaxation and decided to forget about work. Although the piano section doesn't play very long it truly has effect. The end of the Abacus also comes back to the piano. In my eyes (or ears) it's a good thing. Each time i hear it i picture a sunny room through a window, white window frame with brass fixtures. There are stained and polished timber floors and the walls are painted an off white.

There's a picture frame on a wall with a black and white photo of a woman sitting on a kitchen chair on a beach watching the sunset. (The beginning of Cosmic surf makes me picture the woman on the chair, in my own mind i can still hear the piano playing as the waves begin).

An evergreen tree half covers the window with a silky white translucent curtain blowing in the breeze, as if the house is slowly breathing, seeing its chest move through the window frame. I imagine i'm lying on a bed in that room, about to fall into an awesome dream.

I really relate to The Hummer, a massive fan of strapping and earlier DTB material. Devlab in word - Hectic. An acid trip without the acid in my experience but i still enjoy it.

Where i work is in a rural area of southern NSW in Australia. I build and repair farm machinery. In the summer it's hot, dirty and oily and generally depressing winter is a little blue but more bearable than summer. I almost feel as if i shouldn't be there. But work is work, the money isn't too bad for what i do and it pays for me to get to gigs in Sydney and Melbourne. Can't wait see both DTP shows in both cities. Flights and accommodation are booked!

Please make another album along these lines Dev, i love the imagery i can create from it. There's loads more imagery i can write down and probably should one day. When i get the space i should also attempt to paint them. Haven't picked up a brush since i left school and began work. I think i'm almost to the point where some creative will from my mind and onto paper. It's been getting to me for a longtime but i haven't done anything about it. The time is nigh.

Matt.
#235699 by Fjar
Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am
I had an interesting dream this morning. My mind apparently began composing music, and all sorts of shapes and colours were leaping off the page I was 'writing' the music on. Then two words flew out of the page, and I took this to be the title. It was 'Jurens Ven', apparently Danish - I'm learning Danish, but I sure as hell wouldn't have come up with that in my 'awake' mind! No idea what it means.

And to make this post Devin-related, it sounded like a version of Coast and Gato, mixed into one, with my Danish vocals. Mad.
#235734 by mrbean667
Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm
Wow. I dreamed that I was in a hospital for no apparent reason, with people charging about the place and no one paying attention to me. Switch to an ocean with my best friend on the pier. I pull out a gun and shoot him.

I woke up about half an hour into the album when the noise really starts to kick in. It was fun though.

Yup, I dreamt of making another album of weird humming noises... :)

Please do! :lol:
#235738 by Octillus
Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:46 pm
I must admit, the ambient stuff doesn't really do much for me (sorry Dev, perhaps I'm just addicted to stimulus) but I have a buddy whom apparently is really only into the ambient stuff that he's heard. While I keep chipping away at him, he cites a bit of material that I actually wasn't too familiar with, which is apparently you did some work for a videogame called Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (wow that's a dorky title, but hey I play old sega RPGs regularly).

Is there any way for him to actually purchase that material since he's such an ambient dork? Or is it only in the game itself and we'd have to figure out how to rip it?
#235753 by Leechmaster
Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm
I'd love another ambient album. I adoooooooore ambient music. I still regularly lie and listen to Hummer before I go to sleep. Just let the music form visuals and let the whole thing wash over. Awsumz.

I haven't actually listened to Devlab in quite many a month for sleeping or relaxation purposes. I may try it this week. I'll get back to you on that one...
#235760 by mxtrav
Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm
I've tried falling asleep to Devlab many times, but every time my attention comes to full span from track 4 and I end up not being able to sleep, lol.

The Hummer though, that is amazing to sleep to.
#235773 by mrbean667
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm
I always love the bit in track 5:
"The solution is easy"

AND THEN IT ABSOLUTELY FUCKING EXPLODES.