I'm gonna melt you guys!

#134784 by Kivenkantaja
Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:13 am
So how's the Hummer on regular stereos? Without subwoofer?
#134787 by danceswithchickens
Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:09 am
fragility wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote: This can be very dangerous to speakers/subwoofers in bass-reflex (ported) enclosures, if a subsonic filter is not being used.

:S is this something to worry about?

If you are careless with the volume knob, I would say yes. The low frequencies can cause your woofer to "unload"; that is, to behave as though it is not in an enclosure at all. Mechanical power handling is greatly reduced, and therefore a cheap woofer with little throw can easily bottom out over over-exert itself and tear the suspension. This applies mainly to bass-reflex enclosures, though. Just use common sense, and if your woofer is making strange mechanical noises, turn it down.

I love that low frequency that makes the air in the room shudder, you can feel it pulsing through your body, then all of a sudden it snapps and your floating in beautiful astrological sound.

Hell yeah! It's an amzing sensation, isn't it?

So how's the Hummer on regular stereos? Without subwoofer?

Well, you lose the amazing bass experience, but overall it is much more well-balanced on a "regular" system. The low frequency registers as a background hum, rather than dominating the experience.

Either way, I agree that this is not a record that should be listened to in a normal fashion. It would be great to put on in the evening when you just want to relax; it's not something that you actively listen to, because it is so subtle and repetetive. Devlab has much more variation and is definitely more engaging, to me...

#134832 by A-Daamage
Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:42 pm
EvilPanda wrote:Ok I have a subwoofer and unfortunately i can't get to sleep with it because I live in an appartment. At the beginning of the first song there is the first bass note then when the second one hits, the lowest one, all was shaking. I don't think my neighbors appreciated that at midnight!

HEADPHONES.

#134866 by Falk
Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:26 pm
Be carefull with the cable (or wire, or whatever is the right name in english), I once fell asleep with my headphones and woke up with 2 rounds of cable around the neck Ôo

#134899 by JuZ
Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 pm
I had headphone issues last night. I sleep on my side: bud phones jam in to my ear canal (and aren't that great for listening to The Hummer anyway) and my bigger phones are just too bulky. Any ideas, other than sleeping on my back?

#134901 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:59 pm
So, I'm listening to this now with some killer headphones (Sony MDR-7506). I kind of feel sick. Like...my head feels stuffy, and I have a mild headache. Haha. And the volume is low! It's just weird. My head also feels a bit heavy; but that could be these big headphones—I don't know. Hahaha.

Still, this is one weird experience.

#134902 by A-Daamage
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:17 pm
JuZ wrote:I had headphone issues last night. I sleep on my side: bud phones jam in to my ear canal (and aren't that great for listening to The Hummer anyway) and my bigger phones are just too bulky. Any ideas, other than sleeping on my back?

Sleep on your back. :)

Honestly, though, I'm not sure how else to do it, unless you want to try experimenting with speaker placement on either side of your bed. Just remember that this album has a LOT of low-end and low frequencies travel a LONG way, meaning if you're in an apartment or share a house with others, they may come to your apartment/room and wonder why you're keeping them up. Just try to keep the volume at the lowest level possible while still hearing sound from both speakers/sides of the headphones.

This album is meant to be a backdrop to your thoughts, so to speak, so higher volume levels aren't necessary (plus you could blow your speakers, since the majority of power in audio comes from the low end of the frequency spectrum). That's about all I can suggest at the moment.

#134949 by danceswithchickens
Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:55 am
Apparently infrasonic frequencies can induce feelings of awe and unease in those that aren't aware that they are being exposed to them. I don't think the Hummer drops quite that low, but I'm sure it's pretty close...

#135018 by JuZ
Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:07 pm
A-Daamage wrote:
JuZ wrote:I had headphone issues last night. I sleep on my side: bud phones jam in to my ear canal (and aren't that great for listening to The Hummer anyway) and my bigger phones are just too bulky. Any ideas, other than sleeping on my back?

Sleep on your back. :)

Honestly, though, I'm not sure how else to do it, unless you want to try experimenting with speaker placement on either side of your bed. Just remember that this album has a LOT of low-end and low frequencies travel a LONG way, meaning if you're in an apartment or share a house with others, they may come to your apartment/room and wonder why you're keeping them up. Just try to keep the volume at the lowest level possible while still hearing sound from both speakers/sides of the headphones.

This album is meant to be a backdrop to your thoughts, so to speak, so higher volume levels aren't necessary (plus you could blow your speakers, since the majority of power in audio comes from the low end of the frequency spectrum). That's about all I can suggest at the moment.

Thanks for trying! Thing is, my wife shares the same bed as me (thankfully!) and I'm not about to play music in bed when we usually sleep in relative silence. Think I'll stick to switching it off as I drift off to sleep.

BTW, The Hummer is GREAT for playing in the background when reading. Especially nerdy fantasy novels. :wink:

#135118 by A-Daamage
Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:26 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:Apparently infrasonic frequencies can induce feelings of awe and unease in those that aren't aware that they are being exposed to them. I don't think the Hummer drops quite that low, but I'm sure it's pretty close...

Actually, the frequency right around 28 Hz induces nausea in most people. In fact, there is a movie starring Monica Bellucci titled "Irreversible" that has a constant, almost-inaudible 28 Hz hum in the background of the score for most of the movie to accentuate the disturbing quality of it. Note: this movie is NOT for the faint of heart. It involves a nasty rape scene and scenes of extremely graphic violence.

#135289 by Edkaye
Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:14 pm
There is an Urban myth that Many people have been caused to go empty their bowels during Sunn O))) concerts. Apparently when they play through a really big rig, it makes you feel really nauseas, this does not surprise me, sometimes I get a tummy ache if I listen though a whole album on my home stereo.

#135292 by Blodskur
Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:09 pm
Edkaye wrote:There is an Urban myth that Many people have been caused to go empty their bowels during Sunn O))) concerts. Apparently when they play through a really big rig, it makes you feel really nauseas, this does not surprise me, sometimes I get a tummy ache if I listen though a whole album on my home stereo.

Basically the brown note then? Though from what I've seen and heard it only seems to cause anxiety not the bowel emptying effects that we all want to see. Well I don't want to see it exactly...but you know what I mean.

It would be funny to hear someone say "That Sun O))) concert was so good I shat myself!".

#135298 by danceswithchickens
Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 pm
Lots of myths and misinformation out there...there's also supposed to be a certain frequency that can get girls off without physical contact...could give a whole new meaning to The Hummer...

#135301 by Edkaye
Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:24 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:Lots of myths and misinformation out there...there's also supposed to be a certain frequency that can get girls off without physical contact...could give a whole new meaning to The Hummer...

Yeah, it is a $100 note. Zing! :D