I'm gonna melt you guys!

#134604 by Pigmash
Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:05 am
Got mine yesterday, had to turn down the first track after everything attatched to the room walls started shaking against it and making distracting rattling noises...

#134624 by danceswithchickens
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:06 am
I'm serious, though. Subsonic frequencies can rip a cheap subwoofer apart in no time, if the user is not careful. On top of that, continuous sine waves don't give your sub a chance to cool like dynamic music does, so at high volume levels your voice coil can literally melt.

On the other hand, a good high-quality subwoofer will handle this with little trouble. When the subsonic frequency suddenly drops off and disappears as it does on the first track, it is such a strange sensation...

#134650 by gozu
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:56 pm
i don't have hummer but Sunn 0))) does that too

#134655 by Kivenkantaja
Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:22 pm
Ummm...That sounds like the Hummer is really REALLY fucking dangerous to your ears. Not sure anymore if I want to buy it :?

#134664 by Falk
Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:12 pm
Mmh... You have subwoofers in your ears ? Ôo

#134665 by Leechmaster
Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Well if bands like Sunn 0))) and Khanate give you tinnitus and Hummer has the same effect as them on speakers and whatnot then it's more than likely Hummer could give you tinnitus too... Ah well. It's worth it. :)

#134671 by A-Daamage
Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:27 pm
Kivenkantaja wrote:Ummm...That sounds like the Hummer is really REALLY fucking dangerous to your ears. Not sure anymore if I want to buy it :?

Which is why this supposed to be listened to on headphones at low volume levels.

#134675 by danceswithchickens
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:53 pm
Kivenkantaja wrote:Ummm...That sounds like the Hummer is really REALLY fucking dangerous to your ears. Not sure anymore if I want to buy it :?

You're not reading my posts correctly. I'm not saying it is very dangerous to your ears; I'm saying it is potentially dangerous to certain speaker systems, if the listener is not careful. This is true of any recording containing near-infrasonic sine waves. The fact is that few recordings feature much of those frequencies at all, whereas The Hummer contains vast amounts of them, from what I've heard thus far.

The only way it will be dangerous to your ears is if youe an idiot, and you sit in a car with a powerful bass system and crank it up to full power. If it hurts your ears, just turn it down and it won't damage them.

Anyway, it's a weird album. Not sure if I like it as much as Devlab, but I need to listen to it much more. But by God, the ultra-low frequencies do feel really nice in my car. I turned my sub way down and turned the master volume up, and the detail comes through much better now. I haven't gotten through the whole thing with headphones yet, because I keep falling asleep halfway through :lol:

#134677 by hog
Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:My room has a wooden floor, and is also the top floor of a small block of flats. When I first put this disc on, my subwoofer vibrated my entire flat. All the fiddling I had done previously to get my sub balanced just right was completely thrown out of the window.

Also, if I lay on my bed, the whole bed vibrates really well through the springs and the floor.

I have never been massaged by music before.

Reminds me of when Howard Stern had Jenna Jameson sitting on the speaker. :D

#134705 by djskrimp
Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:28 am
Leechmaster wrote:Well if bands like Sunn 0))) and Khanate give you tinnitus and Hummer has the same effect as them on speakers and whatnot then it's more than likely Hummer could give you tinnitus too... Ah well. It's worth it. :)

Low frequencies don't give you tinnitus, high decible noises do. I have tinnitus from high decible noises from working around jet engines the last 13 years. So, please, feel free to listen...at a reasonable volume.

#134711 by niklang
Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:07 am
Another warning should be:

"Listening to the Hummer is not conducive to a productive day at work."

I have it on now and I feel sleepy.

#134714 by danceswithchickens
Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 am
This disc is definitely not mixed in a "normal" fashion...the bass seems to be recorded at reference level while everything else is in the background. Definitely requires some major system adjustments if you are using a subwoofer...

#134722 by Coma Divine
Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:53 am
Both of my subwoofers like this. :)

#134775 by EvilPanda
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:51 pm
Ok I have a subwoofer and unfortunately i can't get to sleep with it because I live in an appartment. At the beginning of the first song there is the first bass note then when the second one hits, the lowest one, all was shaking. I don't think my neighbors appreciated that at midnight!

#134776 by Kristopher
Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:00 pm
heheheh..... it rattled my house to bits, so I had to turn it down.
My system is nothing amazing, but 5.1 with a sub branded pioneer aint too bad. The sub ain torn to shreds, and the box is still nice and tight. But lets see what listen 3 does.

I love that low frequency that makes the air in the room shudder, you can feel it pulsing through your body, then all of a sudden it snapps and your floating in beautiful astrological sound.

I turned all my lights off, layed on my couch, and technically placed my speakers for optimum listening for where I was situated. And shut my eyes and pressed play.

I fell asleep before the end of song 2, but awoke from my slumber before song three, refreshed. then was entranced till the end of song six, so much that I sat and daydreamed for about ten minutes afterwards without realizing the cd had actually finished.

This was the greatest sound experience I have ever had.
And to think I used to sleep to Aenima by Tool.