The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#315520 by quakegod667
Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm
Faffy wrote:Dev's recent tweets about Epicloud, the song:
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud ...this is one of my favorite songs from the session that I ended up hiding... http://youtu.be/y23C_IIrWFQ

I guess I was trying to be 'arty' by hiding the point... Will write out lyrics and put them up. Made sense to hide Epicloud from Epicloud...

Here are the lyrics: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kt211p

I've been wondering what the lyrics are for months, haha. It's great to see that Epicloud can finally get the recognition it deserves (and that it's conveniently located on my music channel doesn't hurt either... :) )
#315662 by Wander
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:14 am
I'm actually kinda angry at Devin for hiding this song...
#315664 by Garrie
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 am
Wander wrote:I'm actually kinda angry at Devin for hiding this song...

He's a cult musician. I.e. he doesn't have many fans in comparison to mainstream acts, but the fans he do have are, to a high proportion, mad collectors who want EVERYTHING he does.

So, he has a lot of money to make from releasing additional tracks in various different media... in this case, releasing an additional track on the Vinyl only edition. Then he has his iTunes only tracks.
#315666 by Wander
Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 am
I know. I guess part of it is just that I don't think the Epicloud main album is as good as a lot of the stuff that didn't make it.
#315668 by Garrie
Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 am
Wander wrote:I know. I guess part of it is just that I don't think the Epicloud main album is as good as a lot of the stuff that didn't make it.

Meh... I tend not to concern myself with what "made it" and what didn't. At the end of the day you have access to all the tracks from Epicloud, you have access to all the tracks from Epiclouder if you buy the digipack for just a few more pounds/dollars, and you have access to all the tracks from the iTunes bonus edition for
#315671 by static2
Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 pm
Garrie wrote:The only thing that annoys me is Japanese bonus tracks... bonus tracks for one country and one country only, that you have to pay a fortune to import if you really want them.

i certainly agree about the price, but you have to realize the reason why: all music is incredibly expensive in Japan, usually twice what we pay for a given CD. the only way official releases can compete with less expensive bootleg copies is to include bonus tracks. the music market has been driven this way for years and years, and Dev has special/fond connections with several Asian markets from his past tour schedules with Vai (and onward). it's worthwhile for him and his label to continue to cater to them a tiny bit when possible.

although you have to wonder what the market is like now in Japan considering how easy it is to download any version of an album, usually before it officially even comes out.
#315681 by ppinkham
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm
Garrie wrote:
Wander wrote:I'm actually kinda angry at Devin for hiding this song...

He's a cult musician. I.e. he doesn't have many fans in comparison to mainstream acts, but the fans he do have are, to a high proportion, mad collectors who want EVERYTHING he does.

So, he has a lot of money to make from releasing additional tracks in various different media... in this case, releasing an additional track on the Vinyl only edition. Then he has his iTunes only tracks.

Devin makes very little money from album sales, regardless of how many versions there are.
#321493 by quakegod667
Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:11 am
This is a pretty egregious bump, but between the time that's passed that I've heard the song via a vinyl rip, and having the ability to play my own LP, it occurred to me that my own LP doesn't have the drones in the first 53 seconds, instead starting straight at the vocals. My pressing is the one on translucent blue vinyl; it really does seem strange that different versions of the song would show up on different colors of vinyl. Anyone else with the LP able to confirm, or did I just get an extremely weird oddity?
#321511 by static2
Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am
considering the version from the Japanese CD has the opening drone, it's weird any of them wouldn't have it. maybe the first batch had the mistake and it was corrected for the following batches.