The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!

Epicloud or Epiclouder - which is better?

27%
27%
23%
23%
#309328 by Pik_Nick'92
Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:43 am
Hard to say for me. I really love the feel and direction that Epicloud has to offer. However even though I've only heard the 1st half of it, Epiclouder is slowly giving me that gradual need to play again and again, as much as Accelerated Evolution did to me.
#309359 by sylkicks
Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm
ppinkham wrote:'Epiclouder' is amazing, but it doesn't strike a chord with me the way 'Epicloud' does. 'Epiclouder' is a great collection of songs, but it lacks cohesiveness for me. However, remove a few from 'Epicloud' here, add a few from 'Epiclouder' there, toss in "Cry Forever" from iTunes, and the project could have been the greatest Devin album ever known.

Stole the words right out of my mouth Paul.

You tend to do that a fair amount. :D
#309361 by Wander
Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 pm
I agree. A couple of switches would have made for a pretty incredible single album. As it is, it's still great though.
#309695 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:36 am
My vote goes to Epiclouder. It would be nice if my disc didn't get the pauses between songs, but what can you do.

As for comparison, the bonus disc just nails the vibe and evolution of what he was doing with the project that much more than the main album, granted Epicloud is still arguably the right direction for what was required. Tough decision.

I also base this on one proper listen of each (sans vinyl/iTunes bonus tracks), so maybe my opinions might change later. My vote is set in stone, however.
#309717 by stubear280
Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 pm
According to my Last.fm plays, I like Epicloud more. I think that there is a good reason for this. Whenever I play a song from the album, the vibe sucks me in and I have to finish the album, then go back and listen to the songs that were before the song I started on. Epiclouder is better for just listening to the songs I wanna hear at that moment. Both are great in their own way. Right now I'm for Epicloud.
#309731 by vaijuju
Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 am
Wired Poll , I can't compared the two albums ! for me there was a devin album Epicloud and, some cuts , d
#309771 by Carpathian Psychonaut
Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 am
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Epicloud.

Epiclouder, for me, however, just nails more of the things *I* prefer from Devin's work - the smouldering builds, the stripped right back production that lets moments shine, all that sort of shizzle.

Both albums great, the latter one better.
#309792 by EphelDuath666
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 am
I still prefer Epicloud but the fact that both albums get so much love must mean the man knows what he's doing! heh
#309837 by Faffy
Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 am
I honestly can't make up my mind. :P
#310013 by tk6yG2
Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 am
Epicloud is more cohesive.. It feels more complete.

Epiclouder doesn't feel like its own 'album' to me, as some people are suggesting. Rather it feels like a collection of demos, which is what it is :lol:. That said there are some really great songs on there. Quietus and Mind Wasp in particular stand out to me, though I do see why they were left off the album.

Epicloud > Epiclouder
#310178 by Jaglavak
Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 pm
Had to go with Epiclouder, based on one full listen to each disc. Some thoughts on each...

While I guess there isn't anything technically wrong with Epicloud, I definitely wouldn't call it the most cohesive thing Devin's ever released. True North struck me as an awkward opener, mostly because it can't seem to settle down and figure out what kind of song it wants to be, despite being so short. I don't think Lucky Animals is as bad as people make it out to be, but it wasn't really spectacular, either. It's catchy, I'll give it that much. :mrgreen: Liberation really rubbed me the wrong way when I first heard it, managing to strike me as both repetitive and banal (seriously, it felt like the chorus was repeating for the 1,000,000,000th time when the song was wrapping up), and Where We Belong is a song I actually enjoyed more in demo form, for whatever reason. Save Our Now definitely seemed better than everything else before it, but it, too, didn't really wow me as much as I hoped it would. At this point, I was (admittedly) just getting excited about hearing Kingdom again. And you know what? It sounded great when it finally hit. Anneke really added a new dynamic and I think the re-recording was worth it.

Things dipped down again after that, though, with Divine (which, while the sentiment behind it is sweet, just seemed a bit nebulous musically), and then got really strange with Grace. That's not to say the latter is a weird song, just... it felt poorly structured. And that 'repetitive' feeling hit me again - really odd, considering I don't usually feel that way about Dev's music. Each section taken on it's own was pretty good, but I felt that they were arranged awkwardly in the actual song. I actually thought it was over around the 4:00 mark, but then the opening melody came back and it suddenly burst into the 'never fear love!' part again. Just didn't feel very cohesive, you know? More! was a neat little track, but the vibe it brought was in stark contrast to the two tracks before it, and I'm not sure if it's placement hurt or helped the album. Lessons was honestly filler for me, can't remember much about Hold On, and Angel was... good, but again, not great. We'll see if I feel any differently after a few more listens...

I guess you could say I was underwhelmed by Epicloud as a whole. I have nothing against pop and I have nothing against 'happy' music in general, but musically it just didn't hit me the way the last few DTP albums have. This was also the first time I ever really found myself bothered by the wall-of-sound production, too... the disc just felt over-saturated in spots. Almost like he turned the Tickle Machine on to 11, and then just left it like that. Enjoyable for a few minutes but then suddenly really unpleasant... a strange feeling that I've never had about his music before, as I said. Thankfully, Epiclouder is a bit of a different story. While I don't feel it's any more cohesive musically than Epicloud, almost every song wound up resonating with me more the tracks on the former did. Heatwave, The Mind Wasp (seriously, the bass riff - holy shit!) and Socialization were my top three, and indeed, my top three from either album - they're disgustingly good songs. I've heard Take My Ego but not Cry Forever, and after hearing good things about the latter, I guess I'm gonna have to try and track it down...

So, a mixed bag for me this time around. Epicloud may grow on me in time, it may not... but right now, I find Epiclouder to be the better of the two overall. Kudos to Dev for, as always, doing exactly what he wanted to do musically, though. Still very much looking forward to Casualties of Cool (which I have an odd hunch I'll dig more than either of these albums), and beyond...
#310189 by swervedriver
Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 am
^ You pretty much nailed it on the head for me as well. I find some sections of Epicloud very cool (eg. the opening of True North) and those manage to get stuck in my head, but I find myself not liking the arrangement of the different parts very much. Most of the songs don't flow that well; in my opinion only Where We Belong and to a lesser extent More! keep me hooked towards the end. I'm discounting Kingdom and Save Our Now here as they're both remakes (one from Dev himself, the other from Pendulum). I do like the remake of Kingdom, but the fact that I find it one of the strongest tracks on the album says a lot about how I feel about the rest of the songs.

But then I turn on Epiclouder and hear Happy Birthday and Quietus, and all is well in the world again. 8)
#310202 by Meh
Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:44 am
swervedriver wrote:the other from Pendulum

Do you or anyone else know the song from Pendulum that Devin used!?

I think Epiclouder is way better, in fact, I'd presently place it within his top 3 albums. And for unfinished songs I think it's sounds better seeming more sonically dynamic and having more 'room' for the instruments to breath a bit. As someone said earlier Epicloud's production seems a bit over-saturated on this one but I'd agree it's a more cohesive album - but I like variety and to that end, Epiclouder is like Infinity Part 2.
#310204 by swervedriver
Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 am
Meh wrote:
swervedriver wrote:the other from Pendulum

Do you or anyone else know the song from Pendulum that Devin used!?

The Island.