Peace to you
#274753 by mrbean667
Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 am
I always thought Kawaii was a play on words on "Hawaii", back when Dev first played it at Soulfood. Still, it's a very nice song, and segues so well into Ghost.

Who can forget: "Arrivallllll...."
#275016 by twentyjunious
Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:39 pm
It's a beautiful little song. I think it's about his son, or having children in general perhaps because kawaii is 'cute' in japanese isn't it? Or some kind of cutesy culture. 'New Arrival,' the arrival of a new baby is cute.
And Dev always says how, when you have a child your ego takes a massive blow. It's not your world anymore, you have to take responsibility for someone else. 'freedom you and me, we lost our world, she lost them."

Not meaning to be so analytical, I like the song for what it is, just a thought.
#277619 by No OnE
Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:10 pm
Just seeing the title of this song makes me want to hear it! Euphoric recall just by imagining a song, weird :D

@dvntownsend wrote:Kawaii tuning is: ( Low to high) D A D A C E
#277970 by bonekrap44
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 am
No OnE wrote:Just seeing the title of this song makes me want to hear it! Euphoric recall just by imagining a song, weird :D

@dvntownsend wrote:Kawaii tuning is: ( Low to high) D A D A C E

d a d A? c e
I don't think my string can tune higher than G#
#277988 by The Lodge
Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 pm
Not to steal annybody's thunder about how to play Kawaii, but I made myself a simple arrangement for standard tuning. It's a powertab, so I put it on Ultimate Guitar and it's actually on there! Woo! Never tabbed anything before.

So, if you want to be completely untrue to Devin's original music and play it in a boring tuning: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/devin ... ar_pro.htm

Note: it says it was uploaded by "unregistered" - that was me, don't worry.
#285599 by genericmetalname666
Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 am
For all the guitar geeks out there: For this song, how the hell does Devin get that orgasmic echo effect for his acoustic?? Is it the Axe FX or am I missing something?... Also, when he played it in S.F., he said the tuning was DADABE.
#285619 by bonekrap44
Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am
genericmetalname666 wrote:For all the guitar geeks out there: For this song, how the hell does Devin get that orgasmic echo effect for his acoustic?? Is it the Axe FX or am I missing something?... Also, when he played it in S.F., he said the tuning was DADABE.

I Figured it in open D so thats good enough for me.
And as for the effects, im sure he's just using his axe-fx to create the echos. Also his roland gp-100.
I use my mixer with a Arena (size) echo that works nicely.
#291170 by bonekrap44
Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:24 am
Ogino wrote:Does anyone know why the word "Kawaii" was chosen? It's just... weird seeing that word getting used in such a way as a Japanese, haha...

In the boxset cd of demos there's a song called "Freedom (Kawaii Demo)" so it was going to be that but he must have thought japanese words are cooler haha
#291959 by The Dev
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:15 pm
Kawaii is used ironically.

I spent a lot of time in Japan and had some intense experiences there that changed me forever, a family member died while writing Ghost, and the juxtaposition between that, memories, relationships and birth seemed best summed up with the word 'cute' while referencing my time in Japan
#291962 by Slingshotjr
Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 am
The Dev wrote:Kawaii is used ironically.

I spent a lot of time in Japan and had some intense experiences there that changed me forever, a family member died while writing Ghost, and the juxtaposition between that, memories, relationships and birth seemed best summed up with the word 'cute' while referencing my time in Japan

i wanted to ask you in london what Kawaii ment to you, but i didnt want to dive into your personal life :P , thanks for sharing :)
#292440 by bonekrap44
Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:06 pm
Yeah man i just got the box set and listened to all the commentary, great stuff man.
The explanations made everything so clear, for this song and the others.