Post your reviews, photos or videos of Dev's shows here! All tour dates included
#236965 by Mikey
Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm
Did you see this Devin Townsend Project show at the Transmission Room in Auckland, New Zealand?

Please post your reviews, setlists, photos and video links here!

Thanks,

Mikey
hevydevy.com
#237189 by ReticulatingSplines
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:35 am
Wow Devin.

That was the first time I've seen you play outside of Strapping. Oh my God it was wonderful. My 90min dream set from the other thread is mainly what you played tonight. I'll admit, Ki didn't really do it for me for a while, and I had never really listened to it as hard as your other stuff. As such, I had never really listened to "Ki" very much before. I really enjoyed hearing it. It really surprised me and actually made me cry. I've never had that happen before at a show. It was incredible. :)

I had read on here about possible sound issues at some of the Australia shows. I was pressed into the gap between the stage and the fence on the left, so I was in front of most of the big speakers, but everything sounded great. Wasn't too loud, and I could hear everyone.

Mega props on the intermission music! I haven't listened to the Z95.3 station identification clip in a long time. You have no idea how satisfying it was to dance and sing along to The Vengaboys and Aqua in the middle of a bunch of metalheads. Laughed my butt off. I hope you got to see how confused the whole crowd looked when it came on.

I have never smiled so much at a heavy metal show before. I had a permanent happy face as I sang along to everything. It was really cool to see you break your intense face and smile back a couple times. I've also never seen a performer have such a fun time playing heavy music. You have a really great energy up there. (Something I think Mothra needed more of)

It was really cool to talk to you after the show as well. Thanks for signing my computer! It was quite the conversation for just a couple of minutes. From what you're doing with heavy stuff, to back home in BC, to 'the answer'. Cool new t-shirt by the way. Haha, and thanks for the hug. My heart goes out to you over the trip back to Vancouver tomorrow. It's killer. :(

Got to chat with Ryan and Dave a bit after the show too, and Brian gave me solid fist pound from the stage. All in all, seems like a nice group of guys.

I also snapped a couple of photos.

Everyone wanted to rub Dev's head for good luck

Brian and Dev rocking out

Snarly Dev

Confused Dev?

Dev on "Deadhead"

Definitely one of the best shows ever, and a fantastic highlight to a year of travelling.

Thanks!

[Update] I've had The Vengaboys in my head for two days now. :P
Last edited by ReticulatingSplines on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#237232 by athanati
Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:10 pm
^ Those are some really awesome photos! My camera decided to die on me before I even made it to Auckland so all I have is memories.

Because I have a bit of a disability, I decided to hang towards the back of the room, but the awesome thing about the Transmission Room is that even quite a way back, you feel like you're up close. I was in a shitload of pain (fibromyalgia FTL!), and by the second opening act I was so worried I wasn't going to survive through Dev's set.

But I did, and I fucking loved every moment of it. It was well worth the pain!

The stand out performances, for me, were Om, the entire Ziltoid bit, Earth Day and Numbered.

The only sound issue I observed was the really heavy distortion in parts of Ki. I did sit down (the floor felt like a pool of not-quite-dry man juice) during the song though so that may have had something to do with it.

I would have loved to have stuck around to say hi to Devin, but as awesome as I felt mentally, I was pretty well fucked physically.

Thank you for the show, Devin... and thanks again for temporarily curing my illness!
#237239 by therapist
Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:50 pm
Transmission room was a fart locker by the end of it. Epic show!

Someone got the set list?
Last edited by therapist on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#237240 by keeptheflame
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 pm
Absolutely amazing show. I've never been 'up the front' of a metal show before and spent my entire time completely squashed between my partner and the guy in front of me (sorry dude! at least I've got enough padding on me not to have bruised you to death?) but I was blown away.

Yeah, my ears are totally fucked but I'm still grinning like an idiot today. I honestly can't sit here and whinge about the fucking sound when I was still completely entertained and just over the moon the whole time.

Ki brought me to tears at the end, I couldn't help myself - I was trying to remain composed, but I broke down!

And I know it's been said a million times before, but Dev is just so humble and down-to-earth, and I adore him for it. The fact that he's played 2 hours didn't matter to him, the fact that he barfed up his Burger Fuel earlier didn't matter - he got down in amongst us all and spent time with the folks who'd been waiting so long for this concert.

Some guy afterwards (...was it the vocalist from the second opening act before Dev? Kinda looked like him.) decided to be a pig and yelled for girls to show their tits. Nobody did. Nice try, asshat. I'm all for boobs, boobs are great - but I ain't exposing mine because some fucktard demands it to entertain him.

Anyway, I didn't want to take up too much of Dev's time after the show, so I got my Addicted CD booklet signed and had a photo taken with him, which is simultaneously the most epic and embarrassing photo I've ever taken, so I've edited out my face (To be fair I'd just spent 2 hours sweating, being sweated on, and being crushed to death - but I'm still editing it!);

Epic hat you got there, Dev! Also: CHECK OUT THE DUDE TO THE RIGHT OF ME! :O :O

Thanks again Dev, I can't say it enough. I was honestly so surprised you remembered me, haha. :)
Last edited by keeptheflame on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#237245 by Octillus
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:07 pm
Hahaha don't worry about the pic so much. I took a pretty terrible one with Dev too. What matters is that it was taken with Dev!
#237248 by keeptheflame
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:14 pm
Octillus wrote:Hahaha don't worry about the pic so much. I took a pretty terrible one with Dev too. What matters is that it was taken with Dev!

True, true - him and his awesome hat!
#237250 by Coma Divine
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm
Octillus wrote:Hahaha don't worry about the pic so much. I took a pretty terrible one with Dev too. What matters is that it was taken with Dev!

I agree.

Did you see mine? Keep away from small children or skittish animals...:fear:

:lol:
I don't think you've got anything to worry aboot. 8)
#237256 by dub
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:57 pm
I knew there was something i forgot to do.

:shock:
#237258 by lendld
Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:02 pm
athanati wrote:^

Thank you for the show, Devin... and thanks again for temporarily curing my illness!

hey - hope you feeling better, you shud have stuck around. Devin was soo chilled out at the end of the show, he spoke to every1 and clicked photos
was such a great experience to meet an influence as big as Devin

i'm not afraid to :dead: now
:o
#237261 by lcox1509
Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm
Great show last night, really enjoyed it. I've taken a crash course in Devin's back catalogue over the last month to get up to speed for the concert, and it paid off. The setlist was great, the two hours flew by. I think its already been acknowledged elsewhere that the setlist was too metal-heavy with not enough mellow breaks (Ki was amazing), but to fit in Deep Peace, Terminal and/or Solar Winds you'd have to have either had a 2.5 hour show or dropped something, which would have been difficult (Numbered was the only one which seemed slightly extraneous to me).

I think the sound must have been an improvement on the Aussie shows from what I've heard, the sound guy did a great job (The sound quality for the opening acts was excellent). All instruments, vocals and samples were at least audible. I do think DTP were perhaps a bit loud, especially over the first half of the set. I had earplugs in up until Earth Day but took them out for the remainder (although I put them back in for Namaste, which I like on the studio but live was indistinguishable noise from my position).

Devin was the consummate performer and appeared genuinely happy to be there. It was fantastic to see and you his enthusiasm could be felt in the audience. I didn't stick around to meet the band afterwards, but its awesome that they're offering their time to people who want to meet them, especially almost immediately after playing such an intense 2 hour show.

Looking forward to next time.