Post your reviews, photos or videos of Dev's shows here! All tour dates included
#233013 by Mikey
Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 pm
Did you see this show with DTP, Scale The Summit, Cynic and Between The Buried And Me at Club Soda in Montreal, QC?

Please post your reviews, setlists, photos and video links here!

Thanks,

Mikey
hevydevy.com
#233097 by Purple Tentacle
Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:15 am
Fuck yeah!!

Seriously, everything about Devin's band was awesome. Everything. Sound was absolutely stellar. Best sounding band I've ever seen. When the wall of sounds in Supercrush! or Truth came in, I came in my pants. Every joke Devin made were hilarious. Inviting the bassist from Scale The Summit to play Truth was really cool. As you can see, I'm still stoked about it. Best show I've ever seen. Too bad it was only 30 minutes. Devin is the best showman I've seen in my entire life. Thank you.

Setlist, if I remember correctly, was as follow :

1. Disruptr
2. Supercrush!
3. Kingdom
4. Om
5. Truth
6. By Your Command

I couldn't have dreamed of better. Kingdom live was a dream come true for me, and everything else completely blew me away.

And the roof there DID look like part of the Millenium Falcon...

TABARNAK

I'm still so pumped about the show! Thank you again.
#233101 by Drowd
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 am
Amazing show ! Devin totally killed the 3 other bands ! It's a shame he only played half an hour... I mean it's Devin Townsend dammit ! I would have given him at least 40-45 minutes... But hey he's gonna be back for more ! Devin is probably the best frontman I have ever seen, the faces he makes, the way he moves, even the way he talks is amazing ! He'd tell jokes all the time and tell people to ''feel your genitalias''. Just when he walked on stop for the ''soundcheck'' people started to acclaim him ! I was wondering what he was gonna be playing, I wanted him to play Disruptr but I had doubts about it. What a surprise it was when he started the show with this song !!! Supercrush! was INSANE !!! Devin's voice was A M A Z I N G, he didn't miss a single fucking note, he sang this glorious anthem so easily it was unbelievable. He played Kingdom(which I had never heard), Truth(Kickass Epic song), OM(Which I had never heard) and By your command(Kickass shit à la Strapping) Anyways amazing show !

After the gig I waited for him at the merch spot and I asked the bassplayer from Scale The Summit(really really cool dude) if Devin was gonna show up here and he said : Probably but now he's taking a shower. You've got more chances of running into him if you wait near the Bus. I went there (and missed Cynic... at least I had seen them lastyear) and there were a bunch of people waitin' for him. When he finally came out he didn't talk to us as he was loading gear back in the truck but when he was done, he just came back and talk to every one of us.

That was killer ! I mean, I had expected this kind of crazy guy(like we saw onstage) to just say yeah yeah whatever I'll sign your shits and fuck off... Yeah Yeah you're in a band whatever... Yeah Yeah you ike my music... Yeah Yeah I've seen thousands that share the same story... I'm so glad I was wrong...
The only shows I saw were videos of him with SYL flippin' off the crowd and tellin' to shut up so I was a bit worried. It didn't turn out this way. He gave some of us picks (he couldn't give one to every1 so I just said to myself : oh well too bad and he gave me one !) I asked him about the touring, the ''comeback'' on the road and he answered very gently. He signed my Ocean Machine and City CDs( HELL YEAH!!!) and we took a picture together. The bad thing about this picture is that his face is blurry(hell) Just after I left (as it made me kinda jealous to see him talk to others while I waited and I didn't want to do the same to others)
We shook hands and I asked him if he could say a big : Indeed to me. He took my hand with both his hands and looked me right in the eyes and I heard Ziltoid say : Indeed !
That was truly amazing, The only word that comes in my mind about Devin when I think about that ''meeting'' is ''doux''. I don't want to translate it since I'd would lose all it's meaning.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY much Devin !
#233104 by Purple Tentacle
Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 am
Yeah, I wanted to wait for him near the bus too, but one of the guy I went to the show with was there for BTBAM, so I didn't want to leave him there while I just left to see Devin... but on the next tour, if Devin comes to Montreal or anywhere in Québec, I'll fucking wait for him all night if that's what it takes.
#233107 by EvilPanda
Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am
"That's my first tabarnak of the night!"

Haha as usual Devin was funny and the show was excellent. Really wished it would last a little bit longer. I really hope that what he said about coming back for a 2.5 hours tour is true. The sound was very good and the crowd really seemed to be into the show, I hope he took note of it and made sure that Montreal will be on another tour :D

Is it just me or the the light show was real good for Devin and less for the 3 other bands? Almost as if Devin was the headliner! Good lights, good sound, awesome performer!
#233138 by Gunner112k
Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 pm
I was stoked when I first heard Devin was coming back on tour after his pseudo-retirement period, as I had lost all hope of seeing him live at least once in my life. I missed him the last time he came here in 2005 with SYL and I promised myself I wouldn't miss him the next time he'd show up in Montreal. It took a long 5 years but it was absolutely worth it! The youtube videos simply don't do any justice to what I saw last night. In fact, many people I've talked to afterwards said Devin stole the show. He was on point with absolutely everything: his guitar playing, his stage presence, his vocals (I don't recall him fucking up even once, and the part in Kingdom where he screams "There is no worry, I'm fine!" was the most emotional thing I've heard in a long time) his interaction with the crowd, everything was great. HUGE props to the lighting crew as well, the visuals were awe-inspiring.

Scale the Summit's bassist came in as a guest for Truth and nailed it like a pro! Scale the Summit was the surprise of the night for me, much more technical than I expected and they just reek of young talent. Cheers for these guys.

Cynic was pretty good, except the last time I saw them (with Meshuggah) was much better because at least they played 50-50 on their two albums. Last night they played very few songs from Focus which was quite a disappointment for me, seeing as the two albums are very different.

I had read on the forums that people were meeting Dev outside the venues after Cynic, so I took a peek with one of my friends and it payed off huge... I got to meet the man himself and Ryan (which was on a quest finding rolling papers, which I found quite funny) Dev gave me an autographed guitar pick of his (he had only 5-6 to give), my friend got his white tshirt signed (the bastard!!!) and we took a picture together:

I'm on the left, my friend's on the right. Before leaving I shook his hand and he gave me a quick hug, which made my night! Very humble guy, taking his time to chat with his fans with such admiration... EDIT2: I've heard that he said something about an upcoming project with Mikael Akerfeldt, but I cannot really confirm if this is true or my friend's misunderstanding. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

In conclusion, great night, awesome show, and Devin is one helluva cool guy!

EDIT: I have to add, I instigated not one, but two huge moshpits at By Your Command. The awesomeness of this song with live drums was too much for me to contend.
Last edited by Gunner112k on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
#233143 by mirifyk
Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 pm
WOW

I could quote every single word you guys just posted and multiply them by a hundred....and it would still be far from the way I really felt. Best musician, singer, performer, entertainer EVER. His presence on the stage was unbelievable, I barely noticed the other musicians (no offense to you guys, you obviously did an amazing job...but we're talking about The Devy!!!). The crowd was really into it, making it all the more uplifting. I was also a bit skeptical about the choice of Disruptr as the opening song, but all my fears were blown away at the very first key. I totaly disagree with the ones who think that the "metal" version doesn't respect the message delivered by the lyrics. It was simply perfect. Supercrush! was beyond all expectations, Om and Truth were magnificients, By your command; totally sick with Dev fooling around and Kingdom...well...no orgasm could match that feeling (Am I going to far with that one? lol) And yes, I'll do everything to be somewhere around the bus next time!

I could go on an on about his uncredible vocals, his hilarious jokes and his epic faces...but you get my point. :twisted:

I can't wait for you to come to Montréal again in a show in which you'll get the time and space you actually deserve.
Thanks a thousand times for your Art, Devin.

BTW, thanks for the tip about an upcoming collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt...WOW!
#233146 by Grizzly
Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm
I went from Quebec yesterday to see Devin ( and also a little bit for Cynic and BTBAM hehe ) , Fuck that was awesome , short but intense ! Good choice of songs, great sound, great performance , even if all the other bands were pretty amazing Devin was from far the most powerfull show of this evening !! I went back to QC totally happy
I wish I could have spoke to him and thank him for his music , but I also was very interested by Cynic show so maybe next time ;) ( and I don't regret , Cynic show was so cool ! ).
Well , Devin , please come back soon , your music is a real fuckin healing to me, and don't forget Quebec City next time ;)