All I need is this city and this mind and I will get by...
#319277 by Skinjob
Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:08 pm
So I just discovered Strapping Young Lad (and, of course, Devin himself) about a month ago or so. Seriously, this man blows my mind, but Detox appeals to me in a way no other songs do because I'm bipolar and Devin just fuckin' nails it in this song. Not just the lyrics, but the music itself, the riffs, the drums, those little background noises strategically placed, it all adds up to the feel of it, if you know what I mean.

But I digress -- a quick search on the Internet got me most of the lyrics pretty quick. A more in depth search gave me a little more, but I am stuck at a few places and I hope you guys can help.

On the two verses that include "Absolutely numb / No good around people / Everyone knows" it begins with the line "I was -----". Most places online say "warned", some say "born", but I swear to god he's saying "wrong", as in, "I was wrong / Absolutely numb". Help!

After the bridge a voice clip plays. I think I have most of that, but there is a part I can't decipher no matter how many times I listen to it. Here's what I got:

"The human brain: an unbelievable complex of nerve cells that turn sound vibration into pleasure. Meanwhile, the passage of blood -- one step at a time -- will continue to ?------? independently, even after it has been removed from the body."

It would be awesome if anyone could figure that out.

Last, the section right after the voice clip is hard to make out because of the layering voices. I'm pretty sure the spoken-type voice is saying "Thought I'd try / Thought I'd feel" but Devin's singing behind that I just can't make out.

Help?
#319278 by Hiddos
Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:12 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum!
The CD booklet says that the lyrics are warned. "I was warned... / Absolutely numb / ...No good around people... / Everyone knows, and watches me.".
As for the voice clip, I'm not sure about this, and I'm not currently in a position where I can listen to it. Good luck finding out more! :D
#324869 by detoxdetox
Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:21 am
Detox

Play that stupid piece of shit!
Uh-ah!

Year!
Hey! You mo’! [x4]
Year!
Hey! You mo’! [x4]

I've got a feeling
Hey! You mo’! [x4]
With the wrong people
Hey! You mo’! [x4]
And I can't control my thoughts

Huh-auh!
Uh-ah!

Uh, I wish that I could sleep
Hey! You mo’! [x4]
And just get this over with
Hey! You mo’! [x4]
This is only high school bullshit

Uh-ah!
Uh-oh!

I was warned
Absolutely numb
No good around people
Everyone knows and watches me

Year-ah-uh!

How did I get here tonight?
What am I doing here?
How did I reach this state?
How did I lose my sight?

I'm lost ... I'm freaking
And everybody knows ... Everyone's watching

So here's all my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so lonely...

[The human brain
An unbelievable complex of nerve cells
That turns sound vibrations into pleasure
Meanwhile the passage of blood
One step at a time
Will continue to be?
Even after it has been removed from the body]

I feel so alone, alone
(Thought I’d try…
Thought I’d feel…)

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
Why do I gotta be such a stupid bastard?
Are you dump bugger? Ah!

Uh!

Uh, I just want to feel

Uh-ah-uh!
Uah!

I was warned
Absolutely numb
No good around people
Everyone knows and watches me