All hail Ziltoid!
#243685 by Lindeman
Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm
This could be rather old subject to talk about, but I'll talk about it anyway!

It's been over a week now since the awsome Ziltoid-Show at Tuska Festival in Finland and I couldn't keep my mouth shut about it. I kept talking about the experience and the show itself to many people past few days and just two days ago; I suddenly got a phone call from my uncle, who announced me that my three-year old cousin... Loves Ziltoid! My uncle did some research on youtube and decided to check out few Ziltoid songs and instead, he found all those "Transmission"-videos of Ziltoid. Appearently my cousin saw them too. I asked from my cousin in Finnish; "Who's the most coolest guy in Ziltoidia 9?", You can guess what he answered. :D

But when thinking afterwards. It's not actually a huge suprise that a young kid loves something like that. It's a cool looking Alien-Puppet, with a cool sounding voice. Kids love stuff like "Sesame Street" and "Muppet Show", so why not Ziltoid? Non english-speakers may not have any clue what Ziltoid is actually talking about, though. But they will... in time :)

Any of you knowing any younglings that perfer coffee hunting nerd aliens, instead of Kermit frogs and gay puppets?
#243688 by ppinkham
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:48 pm
My son is 11, and he loves Ziltoid. The music and the puppet. He's even built Lego sets depicting the battles between Ziltoid and Capt. Spectacular. I think he made a Planet Smasher, as well.

I've said it before, but I firmly believe that Ziltoid is the perfect tool to draw people to Devin's work. I'd love to see Ziltoid do a few TV talk shows. Could definitely picture a Conan O'Brien interview with ZIltoid.

Ziltoid is just so perfectly obscure. It gets a "wtf?" kind of reaction out of people.
#243701 by Chimairacle
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 am
ppinkham wrote:My son is 11, and he loves Ziltoid. The music and the puppet. He's even built Lego sets depicting the battles between Ziltoid and Capt. Spectacular. I think he made a Planet Smasher, as well.

I've said it before, but I firmly believe that Ziltoid is the perfect tool to draw people to Devin's work. I'd love to see Ziltoid do a few TV talk shows. Could definitely picture a Conan O'Brien interview with ZIltoid.

Ziltoid is just so perfectly obscure. It gets a "wtf?" kind of reaction out of people.

That's just one of the many great things Dev does though, it's this whole other thing. I think it kinda brings out the kid in all of us with the whole fantasy puppet thing. The WTF? reaction is the drawcard and it's what makes people smile. The thing I love most about Ziltoid is that although it draws on playful sort of things normally associated with kids, that doesn't take away from its value as a respected work. It reminds me of all the kids movies that've been brought out with the parents in mind as well as the kids, with all the subtle sexual references and dark jokes that kids haven't got the background knowledge required to understand. Except with Ziltoid, that would kinda be in reverse of course.

A great Australian family TV show I remember from my childhood (and has recently been brought back on air after a hugely successful reunion) is Hey Hey It's Saturday. It's basically a family variety hour with talent scout segments and guest bands and celebrity heads etc but they have puppets who pop up occasionally and spout crude comments that slip the kids minds. When you mentioned Ziltoid doing talk shows it reminded me of Hey Hey.

The irony is that Hey Hey It's Saturday is now aired on Wednesdays. :lol:
#243718 by BlueRaja
Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:54 pm
Dev certainly hit the nail on the head with Ziltoid's voice. I'll get a big grin on my face before he's even completed a single sentence. Just perfect. :D
#243728 by JJFRamirez
Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 pm
If Oderus Urungus from GWAR can do Red Eye on Fox, I'm sure Ziltoid could take over the Earth's coffee industry, no problem.
#243732 by Chimairacle
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:22 pm
Now there's an idea. I would definitely travel as far as necessary to get a cup of that, just to try his take on Earth's greatest long black. :)
#244505 by Odysseas
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 pm
I don't know too many children but I did show the "Transmissions" around me and poeple found Ziltoid to be very funny and even kinda profound, indeed!
And if I ever see a "Ziltoid" coffee brand, I swear I'll never drink anything else!
#244645 by Bent-By-Bender
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:45 am
Lindeman wrote:This could be rather old subject to talk about, but I'll talk about it anyway!

It's been over a week now since the awsome Ziltoid-Show at Tuska Festival in Finland and I couldn't keep my mouth shut about it. I kept talking about the experience and the show itself to many people past few days and just two days ago; I suddenly got a phone call from my uncle, who announced me that my three-year old cousin... Loves Ziltoid! My uncle did some research on youtube and decided to check out few Ziltoid songs and instead, he found all those "Transmission"-videos of Ziltoid. Appearently my cousin saw them too. I asked from my cousin in Finnish; "Who's the most coolest guy in Ziltoidia 9?", You can guess what he answered. :D

But when thinking afterwards. It's not actually a huge suprise that a young kid loves something like that. It's a cool looking Alien-Puppet, with a cool sounding voice. Kids love stuff like "Sesame Street" and "Muppet Show", so why not Ziltoid? Non english-speakers may not have any clue what Ziltoid is actually talking about, though. But they will... in time :)

Any of you knowing any younglings that perfer coffee hunting nerd aliens, instead of Kermit frogs and gay puppets?

well, a few weeks ago I successfully tried to draw Ziltoid holding the ultimate cup of coffee for my 5 & 8 years old cousins, they looked very excited and curious about him...they even liked the whole story contained in the album,lol :)