All hail Ziltoid!
#172364 by Roddy
Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:03 am
Now that it's had a lengthy period of time to sink in? Listening back, and I hate to say this, being SUCH a massive DT fan, I have to say I'm finding a tiny bit cheesey in hindsight. And that's after really liking it initially. I know it was kind of more of a 'self indulgent filler' type of release for him, but I gotta say it's the 'least phenomonal' thing in his back catalogue (terms such as 'worst' or 'weakest' don't apply to the great man!). What do ya think?
#172369 by the-fluke
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am
I think ZTO is probably the hardest album out of all that Devin has released to 'click' with. It is his first proper concept album, and I agree the story and even the whole concept is a little cheesy and strange . But in general it is the most extravagant and different thing the Dev has done, in my opinion anyway. Maybe try listening to it as a seperate album from the rest of his works, without trying to compare it to sounds and styles of previous albums. I wouldn't say it was the 'least phenomenol' thing Devin has done, instead maybe the 'most original' or 'most different' :)

I myself still listen to ZTO on a regular basis.

Can't get enough of the stuff!
#172370 by Migstopheles
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am
I still think it's excellent. It was always cheesy, goofy, weird, that's why it's so awesome 8)
#172427 by Leechmaster
Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:55 pm
Loved it then, and I loved it now. The whole thing is painfully cheesy, but y'know, that is the whole point of it really. Its meant to be over the top, the story is meant to be ridiculous and goofy. The music is good, the story is enjoyable.. I can't see myself ever coming to dislike it.
#172448 by FUBAR
Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 am
Leechmaster wrote:Loved it then, and I loved it now. The whole thing is painfully cheesy, but y'know, that is the whole point of it really. Its meant to be over the top, the story is meant to be ridiculous and goofy. The music is good, the story is enjoyable.. I can't see myself ever coming to dislike it.

Yeh the music stands up, I love the shameless OTT cheesiness.
#172496 by Liampie
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:57 am
I love the album. The story is quite funny, and the music is fantastic. I think Hyperdrive might be my all-time favourite, and Solar Winds maybe appears in my non-existing top 10 too. It's Devin's best album after Ocean Machine and Terria, I think. :)
#172549 by Mazaro
Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 am
It feels like the story wasn't really thought out at all, and I feel like it barely makes sense.

When I actually compare it to other albums, it lacks the kind of emotional maturity and absolute intensity albums like Terria, Synchestra, Ocean Machine and Infinity have.

I don't really think it's too 'new' for him in a lot of ways. The riffing style is quite familiar by now, for example.

That said, I think it's a fantastic album that's enjoyable straight through on its own merits. It has a unique atmosphere that I love. The concept I think works well if you just listen and don't read the booklet and try to figure out what everything means... because if you do that, you'll realize how little it holds together.
#172552 by Blazingmonga
Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am
Mazaro wrote:It feels like the story wasn't really thought out at all, and I feel like it barely makes sense

I've always felt that the story doesn't make sense if you think of it as being about 'Ziltoid', even taking into account the daydream aspect. I think the whole plot is far closer to home than any interdimensional coffee-hunting alien could distract from. Particularly the last section of the album is, I feel, quite introspective and revealing...and not at all cheesy or silly.

I think it's a big, fat, genius doorstop of a metaphor. Perhaps you could wedge the doors of perception open with it? And yes, I suppose that doorstops look a bit like wedges of cheese in a dim light.

I can describe metaphors with more metaphors, can't I?
#172553 by Biert
Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 pm
Mazaro wrote:When I actually compare it to other albums, it lacks the kind of emotional maturity and absolute intensity albums like Terria, Synchestra, Ocean Machine and Infinity have.

That's exactly how I feel.
#172557 by Roddy
Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 pm
Biert wrote:
Mazaro wrote:When I actually compare it to other albums, it lacks the kind of emotional maturity and absolute intensity albums like Terria, Synchestra, Ocean Machine and Infinity have.

That's exactly how I feel.

I would add emotional and MUSICAL maturity and intensity. The lack of a live drummer adds to this feeling (for me!).
#172559 by Lawrence
Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:
Mazaro wrote:It feels like the story wasn't really thought out at all, and I feel like it barely makes sense

I've always felt that the story doesn't make sense if you think of it as being about 'Ziltoid', even taking into account the daydream aspect. I think the whole plot is far closer to home than any interdimensional coffee-hunting alien could distract from. Particularly the last section of the album is, I feel, quite introspective and revealing...and not at all cheesy or silly.

I think it's a big, fat, genius doorstop of a metaphor. Perhaps you could wedge the doors of perception open with it? And yes, I suppose that doorstops look a bit like wedges of cheese in a dim light.

+1, you do have a way with words monga :)
#172564 by Marijn
Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 am
At first, I found it hard to get into the album, but then I started to love the album and I still do now. I think the storyline is very weird and funny, but clever. And isn't the music typical Devin Townsend? There are some beautiful songs on the album such as Hyperdrive, Solar Winds and Color Your World. If people are going through Devin's discography, ZTO is an album that can't be ignored, in my opinion.:wink:

PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR THE SUBJUCATION!!! :D
#172618 by Deth Warmdover
Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm
Lawrence wrote:
Blazingmonga wrote:

The cheese stands alone
#172648 by Blazingmonga
Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:57 pm
Lawrence wrote:
Blazingmonga wrote:

Thank you. It's not often people say that to me! I tend to wuddle my murds.
#172654 by Persuader
Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm
I'd say it's one of the "easiest" Dev albums to get into, thus it didn't last as long in my player...only like two months in a row. :)
It's a different and great album that I still enjoy from time to time.