All hail Ziltoid!
#181052 by Lawrence
Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:04 am
TheOmniscient wrote:Since when do programmed drums have to be actually playable by a drummer to sound good?
This album has a vibe unlike any other.

Yeah definately, colour your world is a masterpiece in my opinion. so are alot of songs on the album but a song that starts out so manic and then becomes so mellow and relaxing and then returns to a climatic ending of the song is just epic!
#181100 by cheesecake
Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 pm
It doesn't exactly "grab" at me when I go to my collection to get something out for a listen, but I definantly prefer it over Synchestra (not that Synchestra is bad, I do quite like it).
I love Hyperdrive. That way over-the-top guitar intro is amazing. The humor on the album is also quite good.
#181516 by Stella Cartography
Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 am
TheOmniscient wrote:Since when do programmed drums have to be actually playable by a drummer to sound good?
This album has a vibe unlike any other.

I agree with that completely. I'm listening to it (again) now, and I think the album is actually better for using a sythesized drum kit. It gives it a frenetic energy which I don't think a human drummer would have achieved as well, but also - hey- it's an album about aliens, so why not have 'otherworldly' drums? I'm actually quite impressed by the drumkit from hell, if it wasn't for the inhuman speed at which it whacks out rhythms I'd think it was a real drummer. Technology has certainly come a long way from the old pre-programmed Casio keyboard rhythms. And don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers those.....
#182139 by thalamus88
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 am
venom7929 wrote:And on the subject of cheesiness - everything Dev has done in his own name is musically cheesy. It's great, but cheesy as hell, ziltoid is just even cheesier cos it has puppets.

You're calling OM, Infinity, Terria, and Accelerated Evolution cheesy?
What?
#182171 by Lawrence
Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:33 am
thalamus88 wrote:
venom7929 wrote:And on the subject of cheesiness - everything Dev has done in his own name is musically cheesy. It's great, but cheesy as hell, ziltoid is just even cheesier cos it has puppets.

What?

And punky bruster
#182220 by thalamus88
Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 pm
Lawrence wrote:
thalamus88 wrote:

What?

And punky bruster

Well now punky bruster is just plain old awesome.
#182271 by soundsofentropy
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:02 pm
thalamus88 wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
thalamus88 wrote:

What?

And punky bruster

Well now punky bruster is just plain old awesome.

True, but it wasn't released under Dev's name. It was released as Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics, so it doesn't count. Also, I think SYL is cheesier than Dev's solo stuff, Ziltoid being an exception.

That doesn't make it any less awesome, it seems. :D
#182329 by Centurion
Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:39 pm
Wow it`s been 1.5 years now. This album has a impressive "lifetime". Never get tired of it. There are days when I want to hear music and none of the bamds/alnums I have seem to work on days like this. Most people have those kind of days.. but Ziltoid is always there :D
#185646 by Mazaro
Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:01 am
Man, thinking of the Ziltoid concept as representing Dev's life / career is a trip... If that is really what it's meant to be, I feel it's genius, and a wonderfully epic summary of where he's been. I'm not convinced Dev meant it that way, though. Either way I'm listening to this album and loving it more and more every time. Albums rarely grow on me this much... I actually rank it among previous albums now, I think.
#185695 by DavidIves
Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:06 am
Ziltoid is cheesy but i was always under the impression it was supposed to be. its pretty light hearted.

I really love the album. I know a lot of people have hang ups about the digital drums and i can see why at times but i think they actually help give it a futuristic and almost inhuman quality at times.

Besides admist all the comedy there are some great songs like hyperdrive, solar winds and PLANET SMASHER!!!!!

I just would have definately wanted to see more of the puppet side. Like maybe a music video or something. or fuck it...a whole space metal opera!

:furious: SHOW US YOUR MIND
#185838 by Kivenkantaja
Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:27 am
I rarely listen the whole album anymore and it was never one of my favourites. It has 4 really, really strong songs that I still like a lot and that's fine with me. 4 tracks of awesomeness is always better than 12 mediocre songs.