The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#257514 by indo_mex
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 pm
ppinkham wrote:What if Devin goes through 10 more logos in the next 10 years? To me, the portrait makes sense. You like that person's music, not just the phase he was going through at one moment in time, then I'd say it is the only way to go.

So best hope Dev doesn't age or start experimenting with subdermal horn implants! Seriously though, I know what you meant but I doubt our arguments are going to sway each other.
#257515 by Wander
Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:26 pm
The portrait pic looks awesome. Very nice.
#257547 by merimarsu
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 pm
indo_mex wrote:You have a question mark next to 'self-importance' above, hhmmm, again it wasn't really needed but you could replace it the word 'ego' or anything that gets across the idea that my favourite metal musician is only a tiny part of my life...

Yeah, I should have explaind that a bit. I speak english as a third language, so I was having a hard time in understanding "self-importance" as a quality you could obtain more... After the quote above, no further explanation needed.

...So, anyone else got any cool new tattoos? :wink:
#257548 by day old male
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm
indo_mex wrote:So it's probably only me that finds the Dev tattoo a bit disturbing. I admire the work but there's an image of a guy you don't know tattooed on your body for life.

My feeling about this is that if you're a hardcore fan of someone, you do know that person very deeply - at least the person that is presented to us through the art. It doesn't matter if we don't know them personally. The image of Dev's face on this guy's arm is an image that represents how much meaning he associates with Dev's music, and how it connects with his own life. Whether it's a face or a symbol shouldn't matter. In fact, they're no different when it comes down to it because they mean the same thing to the wearer of the tattoo, right? Same with people who have an "RIP Dimebag Darrell" tattoo with an iconic image of his face underneath. It shouldn't be seen as creepy or weird because they never knew the man - they knew his music and cared enough about his work to want to share that with the world forever. I just think it comes down to personal choice and I respect that doing something like this might be too much for you (probably me too), but if someone else is cool with it, they shouldn't be made to feel like they're going to creep out the artist for paying respect in this way.
#257549 by JuZ
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 pm
day old male wrote:
indo_mex wrote:So it's probably only me that finds the Dev tattoo a bit disturbing. I admire the work but there's an image of a guy you don't know tattooed on your body for life.

My feeling about this is that if you're a hardcore fan of someone, you do know that person very deeply - at least the person that is presented to us through the art. It doesn't matter if we don't know them personally. The image of Dev's face on this guy's arm is an image that represents how much meaning he associates with Dev's music, and how it connects with his own life. Whether it's a face or a symbol shouldn't matter. In fact, they're no different when it comes down to it because they mean the same thing to the wearer of the tattoo, right? Same with people who have an "RIP Dimebag Darrell" tattoo with an iconic image of his face underneath. It shouldn't be seen as creepy or weird because they never knew the man - they knew his music and cared enough about his work to want to share that with the world forever. I just think it comes down to personal choice and I respect that doing something like this might be too much for you (probably me too), but if someone else is cool with it, they shouldn't be made to feel like they're going to creep out the artist for paying respect in this way.

That's all fair and reasonable and in the end we're all entitled to do (almost!) what we want with our bodies provided it doesn't bring harm to anyone else.

On the other hand, the owner of the likeness has the right to feel weird about it too, if that's how they feel. Dev may be completely cool with it, but I know I would find it very odd!
#257566 by day old male
Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 am
JuZ wrote:That's all fair and reasonable and in the end we're all entitled to do (almost!) what we want with our bodies provided it doesn't bring harm to anyone else.

On the other hand, the owner of the likeness has the right to feel weird about it too, if that's how they feel. Dev may be completely cool with it, but I know I would find it very odd!

Yeah, that's a great point. However, I think there are degrees of weirdness in these kinds of homages, and that could apply to either the type of image that is tattooed or the body part that it goes on. What this guy has done is reasonably common in terms of metal-fan tattoes of their heroes, as far as what I've seen. So I don't know if it's cause for alarm yet. But if that picture covered his entire torso, for example, that might be worrying. LOL. Or better yet, on his face, with Dev's eyes on his eyelids! I'd be very scared of that, but also in awe :D

But yeah, your point about the subject of the tattoo having the right to feel weird about it is totally valid, man. I guess it's hard to imagine what it would feel like to have someone do that (most of us not being rock-stars, of course), but for rock-stars I suppose it just has to be understood as part of the weirdness that goes with the territory of having devoted fans.
#257569 by swervedriver
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 am
day old male wrote:Or better yet, on his face, with Dev's eyes on his eyelids! I'd be very scared of that, but also in awe :D

I'm going in for facial reconstruction surgery next week to make my face look exactly like Dev's. :D
#257570 by Billy Rhomboid
Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 am
swervedriver wrote:
day old male wrote:Or better yet, on his face, with Dev's eyes on his eyelids! I'd be very scared of that, but also in awe :D

I'm going in for facial reconstruction surgery next week to make my face look exactly like Dev's. :D

must... resist... must ... resist...
#257572 by swervedriver
Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 am
Billy Rhomboid wrote:
swervedriver wrote:

must... resist... must ... resist...

Just get it out of your system and insult me. I'll counter with a stab at your age/cooking/beard/... and we'll call it even. ;)
#257573 by ppinkham
Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 am
swervedriver wrote:

No way, man! I'm going to do it first! I've already had my hair folicals removed in order to begin my transformation...
#257583 by day old male
Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 am
ppinkham wrote:
swervedriver wrote:

No way, man! I'm going to do it first! I've already had my hair folicals removed in order to begin my transformation...

LOL!!! That is absolutely hilarious! I don't think there could possibly be a more disturbing homage than this. Imagine getting the surgery done; you show up to the next DTP instore signing in your city; you wait in line patiently, making sure you're hidden from view; then you approach the desk when it's your turn with a handkerchief covering your face; you suddenly pull it away in front of Dev and say: "Look at my face, man: I'm YOU!!!!"

LOL!! Sorry, I'm a little drunk writing this, but it just seems so funny right now :D
#257655 by JuZ
Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:35 am
day old male wrote:
ppinkham wrote:
swervedriver wrote:

LOL!!! That is absolutely hilarious! I don't think there could possibly be a more disturbing homage than this. Imagine getting the surgery done; you show up to the next DTP instore signing in your city; you wait in line patiently, making sure you're hidden from view; then you approach the desk when it's your turn with a handkerchief covering your face; you suddenly pull it away in front of Dev and say: "Look at my face, man: I'm YOU!!!!"

LOL!! Sorry, I'm a little drunk writing this, but it just seems so funny right now :D

Ha! :lol: Yeah, if that were me I think that would be the point where I'd say fuck this shit, I'm gonna sweep streets or become an investment banker or a circus clown or something.
#257754 by Nosifer
Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm
Awesome. My cousin has a dtp/dtb tattoo. It's so fucked up and shitty. Haha. I've been planning an SYL symbol below my left elbow for years, but my health got the best of me. I was even considering getting "Far Beyond Metal" tatted across my throat at one point. This music has accompanied me through so much of the nonsense in life, good and bad. I'll get it soon enough.
#258274 by Atari
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 am
merimarsu wrote:...So, anyone else got any cool new tattoos? :wink:

I'll share when photobucet's back up.
#258276 by Atari
Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:04 am
El Squiggle. Sunday morning

with added clingfilm and blood, Tuesday midday