The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#257411 by The Dev
Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

wow....

!!!
#257414 by ctfod
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:05 pm
That face one is amazingly done. And the headstock shadow looks like a pretty bad birthmark, haha.
#257428 by day old male
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm
That is fucking awesome dude! The artist did an amazing job, especially with the eyes - they look so real!! :guitar:
#257443 by Dr.Mosh
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 am
The Dev wrote:HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

wow....

!!!

Yeah Devin, your very round bald head on some else's body! haha :)
#257444 by indo_mex
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 am
So it's probably only me that finds the Dev tattoo a bit disturbing. I admire the work but there's an image of a guy you don't know tattooed on your body for life.
#257449 by abcdefgh
Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:44 am
indo_mex wrote:So it's probably only me that finds the Dev tattoo a bit disturbing. I admire the work but there's an image of a guy you don't know tattooed on your body for life.

im with you. Its incredible artwork and really well done, and portraits are really risky and difficult. But if i was walking down the street and saw my head on a dude id be a bit inclined to run in the other direction.

I think the homage would be stronger and less creepy if it were just the pick... subtlety is cool.

That said, I have SYL and DTB on either inner forearm, and a dev inspired infinity on the back of my neck. Got them all several years back but to this day i dont regret it a bit. When people ask what the SYL means I generally tell them its the japanese symbol for 'cool dude' rather than explaining that it was inspired by life changing music. Dev's the dude behind the music, but in the end the tattoos I got weren't because im in love with HIM. Its what he puts on a CD that i love. none the less, Dev is obviously a wicked fellow, but the fact is his shit stinks like the next man.

anyway, dont wanna have a go at the guy that posted the tatt, just my view..

peace
#257451 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 am
I think it's the ultimate form of flattery, especially as it is so well done.
Good on ya man!
#257456 by merimarsu
Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 am
OK, I'll try and clear up my motivation behind the piece.

I've been a fan of Dev's work since the first squel on "Sex & Religion". I was 13 when the album came out, it made a huge impact on me. When "City" came out at '97, I was 16 and mad as fuck at everything. At the beginning of the new millenium, I was doing some heavy experimenting with all your psychedelic drugs and listenign to "Terria". When "Synchestra" came out, I was i the middle of "growing up", back in school, taking some responsibility in my life and actions. When the DT project and it's 4 albums were announced, I was suddenly a homeowner and married.

Every important step in my life since my early teens, be it self-destructive or healing, Devin has been on the soundtrack of my life.

I've been getting ink since I was 18. Before this latest piece, I had almost full sleeves filled with obscure music references and a couple of band logos (selected with good taste, of course :wink: ), except for a small corner in my inner left bicep. I had some hard to get appointements with a local master of the black&grey portrait tattoo and when I saw this photo, I knew what I wanted. I love the pic, mainly 'cos I it's a great picture and it's not one of those iconic promo shots you see tons of (good & bad) tattoos over the years. If you see it with my whole sleeve and don't recognize the Man, you'll easily dismiss it as a generic surreal/horror-face. Of course, if I get the chance to show it to Devin when he's in Helsinki, I'll definitely try to creep him out :D

So, is it disturbing or creepy? You can think what you want, I love it.
#257459 by abcdefgh
Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:41 am
merimarsu wrote:OK, I'll try and clear up my motivation behind the piece.

I've been a fan of Dev's work since the first squel on "Sex & Religion". I was 13 when the album came out, it made a huge impact on me. When "City" came out at '97, I was 16 and mad as fuck at everything. At the beginning of the new millenium, I was doing some heavy experimenting with all your psychedelic drugs and listenign to "Terria". When "Synchestra" came out, I was i the middle of "growing up", back in school, taking some responsibility in my life and actions. When the DT project and it's 4 albums were announced, I was suddenly a homeowner and married.

Every important step in my life since my early teens, be it self-destructive or healing, Devin has been on the soundtrack of my life.

I've been getting ink since I was 18. Before this latest piece, I had almost full sleeves filled with obscure music references and a couple of band logos (selected with good taste, of course :wink: ), except for a small corner in my inner left bicep. I had some hard to get appointements with a local master of the black&grey portrait tattoo and when I saw this photo, I knew what I wanted. I love the pic, mainly 'cos I it's a great picture and it's not one of those iconic promo shots you see tons of (good & bad) tattoos over the years. If you see it with my whole sleeve and don't recognize the Man, you'll easily dismiss it as a generic surreal/horror-face. Of course, if I get the chance to show it to Devin when he's in Helsinki, I'll definitely try to creep him out :D

So, is it disturbing or creepy? You can think what you want, I love it.

good on you mate...

*edit* I wasnt being sarcastic by the way.. i like what you say
#257466 by Chimairacle
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 am
Amazing tatt dude.

I think it takes a lot of balls to get a portrait done and that one turned out so well. I always cringe so badly when I see people with tattoos of babies that turned out really ugly, or famous people (musicians, actors, historical figures etc) when that person's character is totally lost because their features weren't accurately represented.
#257468 by indo_mex
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 am
merimarsu wrote:So, is it disturbing or creepy? You can think what you want, I love it.

Hey,

Thanks for the clarifications. You make a couple of interesting points for me; namely that you're covered with them so it's not as bad and of course you love it which ultimately is all that matters. I'm involved in the arts so personally find it quite gimp-ish to have another artist putting their work on my body - just a personal philosophy that is slightly egoistical I'll admit. Devin is and may always be my favourite metal musician followed by Varg Vikernes. You couldn't get two more different cats but it shows me that I'm only interested in the musical art they produce. To me they're as odd and philosophically perplexing as each other but it's irrelevant because I feel I have a healthy disassociation between the artist and their art. We (fans) don't really know these people whose music we admire and listen to constantly so the close mirroring of your life to (what you perceive to be Devin's) just enforces the oddness for me personally. In fairness, it might be that I find tattoos to be very extreme so for example, if I "love a pic" (never mind a guy's facial pose that lasted for about 1 second of his life) I'd be more inclined to use it as a desktop image for a few months rather than spend a few hundred euros tattooing it on my body for the rest of my existence. I really don't want that closeness to the identity of another human being on my being - I like to think I've more self-respect, self-importance and individualism to do that. I think there's other less extreme ways of paying tribute and respect to other people. Sorry for being a dick.
#257472 by merimarsu
Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 am
indo_mex wrote:
merimarsu wrote:So, is it disturbing or creepy? You can think what you want, I love it.

Hey,

Thanks for the clarifications. You make a couple of interesting points for me; namely that you're covered with them so it's not as bad and of course you love it which ultimately is all that matters. I'm involved in the arts so personally find it quite gimp-ish to have another artist putting their work on my body - just a personal philosophy that is slightly egoistical I'll admit. Devin is and may always be my favourite metal musician followed by Varg Vikernes. You couldn't get two more different cats but it shows me that I'm only interested in the musical art they produce. To me they're as odd and philosophically perplexing as each other but it's irrelevant because I feel I have a healthy disassociation between the artist and their art. We (fans) don't really know these people whose music we admire and listen to constantly so the close mirroring of your life to (what you perceive to be Devin's) just enforces the oddness for me personally. In fairness, it might be that I find tattoos to be very extreme so for example, if I "love a pic" (never mind a guy's facial pose that lasted for about 1 second of his life) I'd be more inclined to use it as a desktop image for a few months rather than spend a few hundred euros tattooing it on my body for the rest of my existence. I really don't want that closeness to the identity of another human being on my being - I like to think I've more self-respect, self-importance and individualism to do that. I think there's other less extreme ways of paying tribute and respect to other people. Sorry for being a dick.

I really didn't mean to imply that I "get" Devin and the meaning behind his every move. His music has just been with me every step of the way.

One of my big points in pretty much anything is that since I don't have a creative bone in my body, I don't feel any qualms while being at the consuming end of any kind of art, be it music, film, theater...or tattoos.
Just the fact that you (don't seem to like portrait tattoos :lol: ) are "involved in the arts", put's us in a different position. You just happen to think it somehow grants you more self-respect, self-importance(?) and individualism...

AAAnd just to clear the air, I don't think you were being a dick.

Peace out!
#257477 by daneulephus
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 am
Damn. I can't imagine how Devin feels seeing something like this. Now that is dedication.
#257505 by indo_mex
Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 pm
merimarsu wrote:You just happen to think it somehow grants you more self-respect, self-importance(?) and individualism...

I don't think being involved in the arts 'grants' me these things as I'd have them regardless so it wasn't what I was implying. In fact, that third sentence wasn't needed in my argument, I just outlined it for general context the way you may like a politician to tell you what party they're from before they start spouting their banking policies. You have a question mark next to 'self-importance' above, hhmmm, again it wasn't really needed but you could replace it the word 'ego' or anything that gets across the idea that my favourite metal musician is only a tiny part of my life (usually only when I play 'press' on an album) and I don't register one iota in his. It's probably why I don't have any issue with the more abstract tattoo logos (that represent the published music) rather than the facial portrait (some guy I don't know, nor he I).
#257509 by ppinkham
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:21 pm
To me, if you appreciate an artist's work and want to go so far as to get a tattoo representing that, having the artists's portrait makes more sense to me than just a logo. That is unless the logo better represents what you are trying to give respect to.

With Devin, who changes projects every few years or so, there is no one all-encompassing logo. You have the SYL, the DTB, and the DTP logos, but what if you enjoy them all, and want to represent them all? What if Devin goes through 10 more logos in the next 10 years? To me, the portrait makes sense. You like that person's music, not just the phase he was going through at one moment in time, then I'd say it is the only way to go.