The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#199628 by AlucardXIX
Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 pm
The Dev wrote:Please explian...would love to know.

Hm. I'd say it's mostly because it sounds so big. It's like the audible equivalent of chaos. Some people just live in chaotic worlds and want something that they can relate to.

For me, I'd say heavy music is about release. It's like a tension release for me. If I have a rough day at work, sometimes I just want to listen to something that's so stupidly heavy it would make my parents worry, and sometimes I want to listen to stuff like The Hummer or Ki. I think it depends on a lot of things.

I'd also say, from my view point, that the musicianship in a lot of these metal bands is superb. On a higher level. Sure it may not seem like these guys are playing "from the heart" but if that's what they want to do, who's to say but them? Also, think about the bands out there who write just catchy metal. You hear these awesome sounding riffs over these rough vocals and it's just like "fuck yea, this is good stuff!"

Obviously I cant just listen to heavy music all day every day. I think the people that do are just insecure in their lives and need the release I mentioned earlier.

Maybe this helps? I could try to explain further if you'd like.
#199632 by Abydost
Wed May 27, 2009 4:58 pm
Speaking of that last interview with the heavy music thang, I have to say... I actually realised that the scare away people thing is somewhat true when it comes to me. Not anymore probably, because I have matured a bit, but it was definitely a factor a few years ago. Dev's enormous amount of insight into things is scary sometimes.
#199637 by mushroom
Wed May 27, 2009 5:43 pm
Ok, but this is in terms of what happens to me. Yes you got many fans that say "WE WANT STRAPPING, FUCK ALL WE WANT HEADBANG, FUCK OFF ALL!!" i'm in like some pointless madness, but that's for the love of metal. In my case records like Alien or Infinity were the "soundtrack" to call it somehow, of some hard moments in my life. I'm in when i heard Skeksis for the first time i didn't headbang and made a bounce pogo-mosh alone in my house, i thought "man, this is it, this is what is happening" i'm in, i never feel so identified in my life with music as that level. Or when i heard the song "pain" of Ayreon where you wrote the chorus, that was other important moment to me musically speaking. In conclusion, i like chaos 'cause i feel identified with it. Sorry for the long - boring explanation.
#199642 by The Dev
Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 pm
Cool, I guess my point is WHY do you identify with it... rarely are things surface deep I think. And not to be a dick either, I like heavy too...but why does this music resonate during times of stress? Catharsis? Stress? Projection? alleviating internal chaos by externalizing it? What is our true nature and why is it cathartic...is that healthy? Is it unhealthy? Does it matter? Why do you want to scare your parents etc...

I guess thats the theme of Deconstruction.

I have no point or answers, just some questions and hypothesis.
#199643 by mushroom
Wed May 27, 2009 6:34 pm
Actually is "identification" haha is not on your questions but is how it is. Imagine having a really shit moment and suddenly hear on the speakers a dude that sing like he wrote that song to put as the background of the moment. That's basically my point

Projection it is, so there's your answer.
#199644 by daneulephus
Wed May 27, 2009 7:09 pm
mushroom wrote:Actually is "identification" haha is not on your questions but is how it is. Imagine having a really shit moment and suddenly hear on the speakers a dude that sing like he wrote that song to put as the background of the moment. That's basically my point

Projection it is, so there's your answer.

I can empathize.....but for some reason I can put on Alien or something.....or even Pig Destroyer when I am in a totaly awesome mood. I have a crutch though.....caffeine. I am always caffeinated.....so I am always willing to hear the chaos and the heavy, but in the same moment I don't mind Ki or Enigma or something. Now, when I wake up.....forget it....DO NOT play me SYL haha. Maybe I am blaming here (caffeine), but I think the fact that Dev got all that crap (chemicals) out of his system is what begs him to question...."ok, I feel fine now, but why do YOU feel this way, or even LIKE to feel this way?" I really can't be objective here, because I live everyday hyper. WHY do I do it? Well, right now it is for the sake of my music. To finish the album I am writing I need to be amidst the crazy and chaotic, because it helps the writing process, right? I bleed, sweat and shit my music....thats all there is to it. Hopefully someday I can get the "zen" moment that Dev has found. Hope that all made sense :?

Dan
#199649 by mushroom
Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 pm
I can imagine mr townsend saying in upcoming interviews "well, i asked at my forum why people liked my heavy music, and none of them had a fucking clue" :wink:
#199650 by daneulephus
Wed May 27, 2009 7:21 pm
The Dev wrote:Cool, thanks.

No Zen moment...I'm fucked like the rest of us...just in a place where it seems appropriate to ask.

Aww man that sucks.....well you fooled me anyway haha. Maybe the word "humility" fits better?
#199652 by cmbs
Wed May 27, 2009 7:32 pm
When I first got into heavy music in high school it was for a lot of different reasons. One of them being that I felt weak and useless in a very complicated world. It was a building up of nervous energy that was just looking for way out. I had no idea where I was headed in life, I was insecure, and had tons of raw energy. Heavy music was a way to project my anger and frustration in a productive way rather than getting into fights or getting drunk. (To me it's actually a lot of the same reasons why people invent super-heros or gods and project all of their fears onto them.) If you're scared and alone you're going to come up with this alter ego that gets up on stage, makes wild faces, and doesn't give a fuck what people think. I think this process becomes unhealthy if you become addicted to the energy associated with rage and start intentionally looking for reasons to feel it again. But then again what the fuck do I know I'm only 20.
#199655 by AlucardXIX
Wed May 27, 2009 7:44 pm
The Dev wrote:Cool, I guess my point is WHY do you identify with it... rarely are things surface deep I think. And not to be a dick either, I like heavy too...but why does this music resonate during times of stress? Catharsis? Stress? Projection? alleviating internal chaos by externalizing it? What is our true nature and why is it cathartic...is that healthy? Is it unhealthy? Does it matter? Why do you want to scare your parents etc...

=/ Maybe you misread some of my post...

I dont want to scare my parents, I just like music that I think WOULD scare them.

I find that embodying my emotions through the music I'm listening to is a kind of release for me.

I like driving fast, and double kick is always something fun to drive to!

On another level...I'd have to say I like metal because it just sounds good to me. It fills some kind of hole. Dont ask me what, but it just does. I know you hate these kind of answers, and so do I...But I cant really think of a way to explain it, at least in text.
#199658 by AlucardXIX
Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 pm
Understandable. It's like how I want to know how people can listen to stuff like Saving Abel and Hinder!
#199660 by OceanMachine15
Wed May 27, 2009 8:32 pm
Yeah, I just broke up with my girl of two years and right now, Winter from Ki just feels like the song to listen to. Especially the part from 2:03 to 2:42.

Especially because of your vast library Dev, it is very easy to find a song at any given time to relate an experience to and get helped through it with music.
#199662 by stratman687
Wed May 27, 2009 9:05 pm
The Dev wrote:Cool, I guess my point is WHY do you identify with it... rarely are things surface deep I think. And not to be a dick either, I like heavy too...but why does this music resonate during times of stress? Catharsis? Stress? Projection? alleviating internal chaos by externalizing it? What is our true nature and why is it cathartic...is that healthy? Is it unhealthy? Does it matter? Why do you want to scare your parents etc...

I think it's a bit unhealthy...After I had played guitar for a year or so, i first heard the death metal band Nile and it scared the crap out of me...but the instrumentation was admirable. So i'm like omg all this metal stuff is pretty sick technique wise so I'd better get my act together and impress my friends on guitar. Another band i REALLY enjoyed was Metallica. I was NEVER mad, stressed, or anything. I didn't even know what stress was. I was just a happy-go-lucky guy who listened to metal. :D
I just thought Metallica was an awesome band and that was that. I got into necrophagist, meshuggah, other prog metal and stuff like that. Eventually i started to listen to SYL just for the pure admiration of awesome instrumentation, arranging, and production skills. It was also a little bit before listening to SYL i started listening to your solo stuff which gave me a breather from learning music ONLY for technique and getting some emotion from music too, although ziltoid is what hooked me to your music first because i thought it kinda sounded like meshuggah. But I got a little stressed with school, people, and all that teenage confusion crap and i felt that i started listening to metal for the anger part of it. IDK how people who are non musicians perceive a band like SYL, gojira, metallica, or whatever, but i bet they like the anger part. Alot of angry people also listen to sum 41, rise against (big surprise), green day, blah blah blah. But i was talking to a metal friend of mine (non-musician) and he said he just loved metal cuz it made him happy, even when he moshes an Divine Heresy concert. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Deconstruction is about deconstructing the universe/life or whatever to see what it really is all about, the how and the why, am i right? To live is to learn and to learn is to deconstruct. Some want to learn more than others but all do to an extent.