The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#325142 by sesameseedbun
Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 pm
I'm proud to announce to you the Wikia page for all things Devin Townsend...

The Devin Townsend Wiki!

Founded and designed by me, with static2 creating the bulk of the album and song articles, this project took us weeks of hard work. Of course, we started by lifting articles from Wikipedia, but we improved upon them, and also created articles for every single damn DT song ever released, complete with lyrics and album appearances.

Still, there's a whole lot of work to do, so, now... we need your help, Devheads!

1 ) We need to un-Wikipedia-fy the DevWiki as much as possible. Make the articles more unique. Write stuff about Dev that Wikipedia doesn't know about. Add information Wikipedia doesn't care about, but will enlighten Dev fans. Make this wiki a labor of love by fans. Of course, you should remain neutral, and refrain from adding your own personal opinions on the music. A good point of reference is the Nine Inch Nails wiki, which the fans largely (and painstakingly) wrote themselves.

2 ) We need all the info we can get on tour and live concert pages. Setlist.fm is a good place to start for SYL/DT/DTP tours, but we need the DevWiki to be as accurate and complete as possible. There should be pages for every single live performance Dev's bands have done, with links to the song pages and lists of the touring band members (again, you can use the NINwiki as reference).

3 ) Biography pages for the most prominent Dev collaborators, as well as lists for all of their album and/or tour appearances.

4 ) More info about Dev's guest appearances and early/lesser known projects, if possible.

5 ) Photos, photos, photos! Especially from live shows.

6 ) Info about rare releases or collectibles (as long as they're not bootlegs, eh?)

7 ) Transcripts of audio commentaries: Physicist, Terria, Contain Us, By a Thread, Epicloud, The Retinal Circus, Casualties (both discs). Not terribly necessary, but there's a wealth of useful information on the making of each album.

8 ) Info about Dev's gear is also welcome. Again, the commentaries will help with that.

9 ) And, of course, we should focus on Transcendence when the time comes!

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome! If you are a HevyDevy forum admin and would like to become a DevWiki admin, feel free to contact me.

Let's make this the greatest gift to Dev the fans could give!
#325143 by static2
Sat May 28, 2016 6:22 am
Really happy we could get this thing off the ground. Talk about a guy who needs a wiki just to keep up with.

An additional note to sir sesameseedbun's post:
Wikia is not fond of contemporary Wikipedia formatting. If you do copy in Wikipedia content to start an article, that's great – BUT you need to strip the coding Wikia doesn't recognize (e.g. all reference coding has to be simplified because the Wikia doesn't have the Wikipedia Reference Template). Please don't save an article with crap coding errors that someone (... me) will then have to fix!

If anyone can really work Wikia, it would be fantastic to get the References Template installed. I couldn't get it to work because I'm green as hell at Wikia.
#325164 by swervedriver
Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:51 am
Great initiative guys! Could be a nice way also to sort out some of the info lost in the older parts of these forums. For the live stuff, the list on this forum contains pretty much all of the live shows since the DTP became a thing, so that could be helpful. When I find some spare time (which is becoming a bit of a rarity these days for me), I'll have a look around and see if I can help out somehow.
#325169 by Victimlas
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:59 am
Hey guys!

Just seeing this. What an awesome idea!

static2 wrote:If anyone can really work Wikia, it would be fantastic to get the References Template installed. I couldn't get it to work because I'm green as hell at Wikia.

I am not an expert by any means, but I'd love to help :)